Live Gig Recommendations

Dooblay

Just as the title says. Can be YouTube, DVD, VHS or whatever medium you choose (are there any more options?).

Clearly a thread created for the sole purpose of giving some much deserved attention to a gig I've been watching regularly (at least once a week) for about a decade.

But also as research to discover some epic events I've never heard of. I'll go first.

Ride, Brixton Academy, 1992 on YouTube.

If it's not for you, please at least watch Nowhere, Perfect Time and Chelsea Girl.

Hope everyone recognises talent like you all think you do ?

Peace.

Just as the title says. Can be YouTube, DVD, VHS or whatever medium you choose (are there any more options?).

Clearly a thread created for the sole purpose of giving some much deserved attention to a gig I've been watching regularly (at least once a week) for about a decade.

But also as research to discover some epic events I've never heard of. I'll go first.

Ride, Brixton Academy, 1992 on YouTube.

If it's not for you, please at least watch Nowhere, Perfect Time and Chelsea Girl.

Hope everyone recognises talent like you all think you do ��

Peace.

Well your title is not all that self explanatory...but I guess what you are proposing is that this be a thread where we share "LINKS" to live gigs recorded in the past and available to view these days on the internets...

EG your recommendation of the Ride gig...Firstly I want to say as an old n dusty mid 70 Merican rocker I never heard of Ride before you posted about them....I googled them found the youtube concert and gave it a brief listen and it was kind of cool...so thanks for pointing that one out...I think a thread like this could roll but suggest anyone wanting to share a video or mp3 should also provide the link to that video so the other people reading don't each have to google WTF the poster is speaking of...

Like So..... Ride - Live @ Brixton Academy, London - 27th March 1992 [FULL SET] - YouTube

Or better yet use the forum posting tools and post the video by naming and linking it like this....

Ride concert 1992

Or even better yet by using the forum tools post the video right here in the forum thread like this!

I believe the correct term here would be...'schooled'. Thank you for the thread upgrade TAE, I'll try do better next time ?

I believe the correct term here would be...'schooled'. Thank you for the thread upgrade TAE, I'll try do better next time ��

Nah dude the thread is a cool idea...speaking of schooled.... see I had never heard of Ride...( now I do)....turns out Andy Bell of Oasis was in this band..... so I watched some of the video and looked em up while listening...and...not only learned of them but a whole gendre of music called shoe gazing... BTW this is a great concert......

Who'da thunk there was such a thing?...

From wiki

Shoegazing (or shoegaze, sometimes called "dream pop")[2][11][12] is a subgenre of indie and alternative rock that emerged in the United Kingdom in the late 1980s.[1][2] It is characterized by its ethereal-sounding mixture of obscured vocals, guitar distortion and effects, feedback, and overwhelming volume.[1][12] The term shoegazing was coined by the British music press to describe the stage presence of a wave of neo-psychedelic groups[2] who stood still during live performances in a detached, introspective, non-confrontational state with their heads down.[1][13] This was because the heavy use of effects pedals meant the performers were often looking down at the readouts on their pedals during concerts.[14]

Most shoegazing artists drew from the glide guitar template set by My Bloody Valentine on their early EPs and album Isn't Anything from the late 1980s.[1] A loose label given to the shoegazing bands and other affiliated bands in London in the early 1990s was The Scene That Celebrates Itself. In the early 1990s, shoegazing groups were pushed aside by the American grunge movement and early Britpop acts such as Suede, forcing the relatively unknown bands to break up or reinvent their style altogether.[1] In the 2000s, there was renewed interest in the genre among "Nu gaze" bands.

The shoegaze genre has often been used interchangeably with dream pop, but shoegazing typically uses a harsher, louder and more distorted sound.[15] A lot of dream pop artists have taken influence from shoegazing artists, and vice versa, over the years.

Last edited:
OK this is just shameless self promotion of a life I lived 43 years ago....The video is B&W and is shit quality and the audio is not a whole lot better ...but off of Pink Floyds old touring sound board ;) ...All original tunes (kinda of progressive rock) other than the epic Purple Haze rendition and Little Wing encore at the end...If Prog rock bores just fast forward to 5:30 in the video to see the guitarist who stood on equal ground with Eddie and Randy in LA before they each "made it" in their bands ...Dave on the other hand ...not so much but IMO one of the greatest guitarist to have graced this big blue marble I have ever seen...

Last half of a concert of the mighty Cheap Day Return in July of 1977 of which I was the long haired hippie keyboardist...

Hollywood Palladium 1979 full concert...sort of

This one back in 76 warms the cockles and sub cockles of my tiny little raisin sized heart... we were kids / young men living the Rock n Roll band dream...damn lead guitarist was barely 18....

Maybe it's because I've been to so many concerts. There are few if any live videos I'd recommend to really show off a bands talent. I recorded some shows and I've never even watched them.

There are some very good radio station recordings where it's a controlled environment. But, then you lack the energy of a crowd. This is a great show of a fabulous band Camera Obscura. They broke up after the keyboard player passed away.

I will say Tracyanne (singer/guitarist/songwriter) is as average looking a Scot as you can get. But, her talent is so immense (if you like her) she's sexier than sin.

The talking is drab and dull, the songs are great.

Nah dude the thread is a cool idea...speaking of schooled.... see I had never heard of Ride...( now I do)....turns out Andy Bell of Oasis was in this band..... so I watched some of the video and looked em up while listening...and...not only learned of them but a whole gendre of music called shoe gazing... BTW this is a great concert......

Who'da thunk there was such a thing?...

From wiki

Shoegazing (or shoegaze, sometimes called "dream pop")[2][11][12] is a subgenre of indie and alternative rock that emerged in the United Kingdom in the late 1980s.[1][2] It is characterized by its ethereal-sounding mixture of obscured vocals, guitar distortion and effects, feedback, and overwhelming volume.[1][12] The term shoegazing was coined by the British music press to describe the stage presence of a wave of neo-psychedelic groups[2] who stood still during live performances in a detached, introspective, non-confrontational state with their heads down.[1][13] This was because the heavy use of effects pedals meant the performers were often looking down at the readouts on their pedals during concerts.[14]

Most shoegazing artists drew from the glide guitar template set by My Bloody Valentine on their early EPs and album Isn't Anything from the late 1980s.[1] A loose label given to the shoegazing bands and other affiliated bands in London in the early 1990s was The Scene That Celebrates Itself. In the early 1990s, shoegazing groups were pushed aside by the American grunge movement and early Britpop acts such as Suede, forcing the relatively unknown bands to break up or reinvent their style altogether.[1] In the 2000s, there was renewed interest in the genre among "Nu gaze" bands.

The shoegaze genre has often been used interchangeably with dream pop, but shoegazing typically uses a harsher, louder and more distorted sound.[15] A lot of dream pop artists have taken influence from shoegazing artists, and vice versa, over the years.

That is great to hear that you came across the shoegaze thing. My Bloody Valentine's album 'Loveless' is regarded as the pinnacle of the shiegaze movement, and it is a stellar album (What You Want being the pick of the bunch).

But to me it comes nowhere near Ride's first two albums, Nowhere and Going Blank Again. Andy Bell was totally wasted playing bass fir Oasis ?

But yeah, that gig is just incredible. Loz Colbert on the drums is an absolute hurricane, with Andy Bell's wall of sound guitars being the thunder!

This one back in 76 warms the cockles and sub cockles of my tiny little raisin sized heart... we were kids / young men living the Rock n Roll band dream...damn lead guitarist was barely 18....

Excellent stuff man just looks like insane fun. They videos are all out there in the universe now and no one can take that fact away from you and your buddies. Superb ?

Back