Journey with Arnel Pineda

Rokket

Trailing Behind Again
I don't care what anyone says, that guy has an amazing voice. I bought the new CD, "Journey Revelations", which includes a DVD of the concert. He's got the voice I wish I had. Anyone else familar with this? Let me know what you think...

The only real problem I have with the whole project is that every track is squashed to death with limiting and compression, and it only sounds good at about 30% volume. The DVD sounds much better because it's a live take, and they couldn't kill it like the studio tracks.

The only real problem I have with the whole project is that every track is squashed to death with limiting and compression, and it only sounds good at about 30% volume. The DVD sounds much better because it's a live take, and they couldn't kill it like the studio tracks.
I know that they do studio takes on some tracks to fix mistakes and such. I have been in a major studio when they were doing that to a live recording. But it's not as loud as the CD's in the package. And it sounds so much better sonically.

So besided the new guys voice, how's the new music? I love Journey (hey--I love the 80's!) so I might just check this one out... :)

So besided the new guys voice, how's the new music? I love Journey (hey--I love the 80's!) so I might just check this one out... :)
Well, other than overly compressed and hard limited, it's still Journey. There are a couple tracks that sound like fillers, but the muscianship is top notch, and Arnel delivers the vocals with the same soulfulness of Steve Perry. He sounds like him sometimes, but he still has his own singing style.

I have to disagree. I listen to the songs a lot, and if I had to compare him to anyone, he sounds closer to Survivor's lead vocalist Jimi Jamison (he was the second singer who replaced original lead singer Dave Bickler). Listen to the opening lines of "After All These Years", and then listen to "The Search Is Over", or "Ever Since The World Began".

I checked out a bunch of the guys videos on YouTube from when he was still with his band--the Zoo Band. And the wild thing is, he could've come to the states and been the lead singer for any number of big time bands.

I mean, he wasn't just doing great Journey covers--he was doing great covers, period. No matter what band's song they were doing, he was nailing the performance of that band's singer. Quite impressive...

I checked out a bunch of the guys videos on YouTube from when he was still with his band--the Zoo Band. And the wild thing is, he could've come to the states and been the lead singer for any number of big time bands.

I mean, he wasn't just doing great Journey covers--he was doing great covers, period. No matter what band's song they were doing, he was nailing the performance of that band's singer. Quite impressive...
The thing is, after going around the world several times in the last 25 years, I've noticed that there are a lot of Filipino bands who could easily do the same thing. They are great mimicks.

The thing is, after going around the world several times in the last 25 years, I've noticed that there are a lot of Filipino bands who could easily do the same thing. They are great mimicks.

Yep. I've done a couple cruises with my wife, and the cruise ships are very internationally staffed--very few Americans. But the largets group is by far Filipino. From room service to the restaurants. But there's also always a Filipino band (or 2 on the bigger ships) in a club somewhere. And they cover American & British rock n' roll like nobody's business!

Except for the occasional dropping of the 'h' in words 'thing', or the inadvertant mixing up of the letters 'p' and 'f' (I was in a bar in the Philippines about 20 years ago when this young woman walked in, a little flustered and jumped up on the bar stool next to me. She looked me dead in the eyes and said "Buy me a puckin' Fepsi". She got really mad at me when I busted out laughing!), you could close your eyes and think you were listening to a CD.

I noticed that they really worked on Arnel's diction compared to the videos with his old band. And they don't let him ad lib too much on stage, at least not on the DVD. I imagine that's a little different now, almost a year into the tour.

I had a friend come and visit me a couple of weeks ago and he had the CD on his laptop. He played me one of the songs, a ballad....it was so beautiful it made made my hair stand on end (not on my head, there's nothing there:D)

Yeah, that's gotta be "After All These Years". I heard a critic one time say that Journey was a known formula: perfectly written songs performed perfect. I had to agree with him. This was back when Randy Jackson had joined them and they released "Raised On Radio".

The other ballad on the CD is "Turn Down The World Tonight". Also a very good song.

Back