It's a long and winding road ...that leads to a dead end :eek:

TAE

All you have is now
So Phil Spector passed 7 days ago and I was reading up on stuff about him on the internets. I ran into a story about how Paul McCartney was totally pissed off and what Phil had done to his song long and winding road and wrote a letter to Apple, CCing him saying as much ...

Paul-McCartney-Phil-Spector-letter.jpg

THIS ARTICLE / INTERVIEW goes a lot deeper into how much it pissed him off really good article.

So then I wondered if there was a version out there without Phil's meanderings...and found this audio clip.

I love live recordings and have a ton of Beatles live studio tapes. They are the real deal before going through the star maker machinery voodoo that provides us with the polished version we all fall in love with at first hearing.

This one does not disappoint... Man Paul sings like a bird and I really enjoy this raw version though I always loved the Spector version and assumed Paul had something to do with it all...was really surprised he was pissed off about the womens choir and such

I love most "in the studio" stuff as well. But, in this case, this interpretation just feels unfinished. I felt that way about the "Naked" version that was released. The Spector version just seems a more complete product. The 2015 George/Giles Martin remastered version is better balanced sound wise, but I still prefer that original.

I'm surprised that Paul would be so upset about it, George Martin had always added orchestral parts to Beatles work, and Paul was usually the schmaltzy love ballad guy in the first place.

If anything, I would have used that as the closer for the album, much like Good Night was the closer of the White Album. Start the second side with Get Back and close with Long and Winding Road.

Paul played New York's Citi Field in 2009 and there's an excellent film record of that concert. This was filmed and recorded as a 'film' and has excellent audio production. The full concert was available on YouTube several years back but has been removed as a whole and chopped into segments - too bad, as it's a kick ass concert. Paul's live version of The Long And Winding Road here is very good and falls into line with his letter's stipulations. I can appreciate this as well as Phil's radio end product (Phil's version was better for the radio listening public at the time, IMO). Here's a clip of Paul's live version to contrast [MENTION=1094]TAE[/MENTION]'s studio tape version..

TalismanRich;4552190I said:
I'm surprised that Paul would be so upset about it, George Martin had always added orchestral parts to Beatles work, and Paul was usually the schmaltzy love ballad guy in the first place.

Why? If I had done that song and someone else messed with it with out my permission, then I would go nuts as well. You want to mess with something then you write your own songs would be my attitude.

Why? If I had done that song and someone else messed with it with out my permission, then I would go nuts as well. You want to mess with something then you write your own songs would be my attitude.

It's not like Spector just decided to screw up somebody else's song. Its more like someone called and said "can you make something out of this mess? We've already done two full mixes on this album and nobody likes it. Maybe you can fix it." He was hired to do a job. He did it, and it was approved by somebody, just not Paul.

I guess you just can't please some people! ;)

It's not like Spector just decided to screw up somebody else's song. Its more like someone called and said "can you make something out of this mess? We've already done two full mixes on this album and nobody likes it. Maybe you can fix it." He was hired to do a job. He did it, and it was approved by somebody, just not Paul.

I guess you just can't please some people! ;)

But doesn't it seem like Paul should have approval over his own song?

The thing is, with Let It Be, Paul was trying to get them AWAY from the studio magic, back to being a basic live rock band, away from the hero worship of Beatlemania, to show them warts and all. Two Of Us was a song they wrote when they were kids, basically.

I suspect that the political strife within the band probably had some bearing on this as well. Note that the letter went to Allen Klein, and cc'd to John Eastman. If I had a beef with a producer, I would rather write to the producer, not the lawyer that the rest of the band picked, and copy the lawyer that I wanted. Then again, that's the way the breakup went. Have your guy talk to my guy. I'm taking my bass and songs, and going home!

That's one reason I want to see the upcoming file about the Let It Be sessions. I hope that a lot of it will focus on the fun "making music" side, not the "I want my lawyer" side.

Shame on Epstein for dying without having a succession plan!

George Martin had always added orchestral parts to Beatles work
Actually, that's not so. The first time there was orchestral stuff where the Beatles were concerned was with "Yesterday." The other band members didn't feel they could add anything to it without it sounding heavy and they didn't think the song warranted that. Martin suggested a string quartet and they gave it a whirl and liked it. After that as the Beatles developed more as songwriters and arrangers, they began to state what they wanted in songs, be it brass, Indian instrumentation or orchestral stuff or tape loops or backwards stuff or random avant garde noise. But it was always what they suggested. Martin carried out their instructions. And by the White album, they had outgrown him somewhat.
Paul was usually the schmaltzy love ballad guy in the first place
That's the general perception but it isn't borne out by the facts.
[FONT=&quot]Ask Me Why
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Do You Want to Know a Secret
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]All I´ve Got to Do
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Not a Second Time
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If I fell
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I’m Happy Just to Dance With You
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I’ll Be Back
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I’m a Loser
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]No Reply
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You´ve Got to Hide Your Love Away
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It’s Only Love
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Girl
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Good Night
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sexy Sadie
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Julia
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sun King
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Because
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Across the Universe
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dig a Pony
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This Boy
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Yes It Is
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Don’t Let Me Down
[/FONT]
These are all John songs and that's not even counting all the "love" songs he wrote like "Run for your life", "Ticket to ride" or "You can't do that" or the slower ones like "I'm only sleeping" or "I'm so tired."
Equally true is that Paul knocked out many of the band's great rockers.
I would have used that as the closer for the album, much like Good Night was the closer of the White Album
I think "Good night" is the worst of all the Beatles' album closers. In fact, for me, it's the only album closer that's a clunker. The rest range from damned good to superlative. Yet, it is the most logical and appropriate.
It's also ironic that John should criticize "Obladi Oblada" and "Maxwell's silver hammer" as being "granny music" when he was knocking out guilt embedded songs like "Good night."
I love most of the naked album, but I actually really like Spector’s version
I've dug the original release since I first heard it in '77. I won't even listen to the naked album or any remixes.

If I had done that song and someone else messed with it with out my permission, then I would go nuts as well
This is where the split personality of consumer and recorder rears its head big time. I love the album version of "The long and winding road" and have done since '76. Yet, if it were me in Paul's shoes, I'd be seriously miffed. Don't mess with my song !

It's not like Spector just decided to screw up somebody else's song. Its more like someone called and said "can you make something out of this mess? We've already done two full mixes on this album and nobody likes it
Such an important point. If Paul should have been angry at anyone for what happened, it should have been John because John commissioned Spector to work on the album. I think John did it out of spite because he had left the Beatles months before Spector was brought in. In fact, it's still a mystery how John had that authority in a band he'd left and how McCartney, Martin and Glyn Johns didn't know about it. Ringo knew about it.
What's also odd is that even after John had left, into 1970 actually, Paul, George and Ringo were recording "I, me, mine" specifically for the album.

The thing is, with Let It Be, Paul was trying to get them AWAY from the studio magic, back to being a basic live rock band
That's only partly true. John had always felt that his songs suffered from the Beatles' studio experimentation and told George Martin that he wanted "Let it be" {which was originally titled "Get back"} to be an "honest" album without any of his "jiggery pokery." Martin was offended because he thought John was saying that the music they'd done up till then wasn't honest. As Lennon put it though, he liked the basic plain inspired stuff, "not the clever 'created' stuff.'"
And even before that, George complained to Hunter Davies in '67 or '68 that they'd not played a complete song live together since they stopped touring.
to show them warts and all
"Let it be" did exactly that. And when they heard it, they shelved it with no discussions of when it might come out. That they went ahead and did "Abbey Road" tells one all one needs to know about the notion of the basic live band recording without any overdubs. It's easy to forget that the only album they didn't really do many overdubs on was their first one, "Please please Me." In many ways, home recording exists because of their progress in being able to craft an album meticulously, taking one's time and building things up bit by bit at different times.
Two Of Us was a song they wrote when they were kids, basically
That's what it sounds like. That's what I used to think. Phillip Norman even writes such in his biography of the Beatles {along with other erroneous stuff !} But Paul wrote it about the early days of him and Linda's relationship when they'd just go driving and get lost and find their way back home. It was written not long after they first got together. It's so seemingly naive, it sounds like one of the first things John and Paul must have written. But that was Paul, he was without a doubt the most versatile of the songwriting Beatles.

[/FONT][/COLOR][FONT="]Do You Want to Know a Secret
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#444444][FONT="]All I´ve Got to Do
[/FONT]
[FONT="]Not a Second Time
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#444444][FONT="]If I fell
[/FONT]
[FONT="]I’m Happy Just to Dance With You
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#444444][FONT="]I’ll Be Back
[/FONT]
[FONT="]I’m a Loser
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#444444][FONT="]No Reply
[/FONT]
[FONT="]You´ve Got to Hide Your Love Away
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#444444][FONT="]It’s Only Love
[/FONT]
[FONT="]Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#444444][FONT="]Girl
[/FONT]
[FONT="]Good Night
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#444444][FONT="]Sexy Sadie
[/FONT]
[FONT="]Julia
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#444444][FONT="]Sun King
[/FONT]
[FONT="]Because
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#444444][FONT="]Across the Universe
[/FONT]
[FONT="]Dig a Pony
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#444444][FONT="]This Boy
[/FONT]
[FONT="]Yes It Is
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#444444][FONT="]Don’t Let Me Down
[/FONT]

Wasn’t Do You Want to Know a Secret a George song? Or did John write that for him?

Reactions: TAE
I understand Paul's anger. But, I think it probably has more to do with Phil than his production. Paul might have hated the full arrangement. But, he probably hated Phil more. From everything you read about Phil (since the beginning of his career) he's never been wrong about anything, and had no problem brandishing a gun to prove it.

To be honest, if Phil were alive I'd have done a million takes of an opening (supposedly Johnny Ramone got pissed because it tooks hours to get the opening sustained chord to Rock and Roll High School). The man was a genius. An insane one. But, still a rare musical genius who knew how to create a perfectly crafted pop song.

Wasn’t Do You Want to Know a Secret a George song? Or did John write that for him?
It was a John song but given to George to sing because at the time he wasn't a songwriter. It was a similar {but not quite the same} tale with "I’m Happy Just to Dance With You." John actually said he couldn't have sung that one ! Interestingly, I think that George's first song on a Beatles album, "Don't bother me" is one of his best 5 and one of the top 5 songs the Beatles did in 1963.

Phil Spector and Chris Squire in the studio together.. now there's a matchup.

That's funny shit! Damn Chris was big brute! I met him once HOLY SHIT he was really tall ( at least 6'6") and his hands were HUGE!

Phil on the other hand not so much...feisty little asshole though...and talk about building walls..Trump ain't got nothing on him! :laughings:

Phil Spector and Chris Squire in the studio together.. now there's a matchup.

That's funny shit! Damn Chris was big brute! I met him once HOLY SHIT he was really tall ( at least 6'6") and his hands were HUGE!

Phil on the other hand not so much...feisty little asshole though...and talk about building walls..Trump ain't got nothing on him! :laughings:
That's funny too! I was mainly thinking about Chris' hours-long searches for his own 'perfect sound' and how that might compliment or conflict with Phil's M.O.

Back