I'm not in love in depth look into how it was made...had no idea

TAE

All you have is now
I always just assumed they used a mellotron or Chamberlin for the voices...they kind of did but they built the recorded choir tracks themselves and the mixing board was their keyboard...crazy shit....

the backing vox sounds like notes though, so was it one long note they manipulated with the mixer faders or were there numerous notes sang?
the dude made it sound like it was just one note sang then taken from 3 vox parts to 100's?

pretty wild

No if you re-listen he explains they recorded that choir effect in 8 keys and then would fade in and out with the different keys using the mixer as a keyboard of sorts...a shit load of work and I can't tell it from a mellotron but hey that's what they did and it is pretty unique and innovative / creative

its a great creative studio story. 8 notes makes more sense...
collaboration of a band of people, can take a idea into a amazing levels at times.
I think of McCartney making Lennons come together totally different with the swampy tempo bass instead of some fast, chuck berry rocker.
Like lets use Voclals instead of Cowbell....or maybe more Cowbell if you have the fever of Bruce Dickinson...he makes hit records.

When I saw this several years ago, it made me respect the song that I once thought as just another "pop" song. I think it is a cool story.

Back