I Have Gone To The Dark Side.

Treeline

Bought a banjo.

rb185gt.jpg

You're safe. You bought one without a resonator. So you're more like Pete Seeger than Earl Scruggs. Of course, that makes you a lefty. But I suppose that's better than a hillbilly. :D

Looks like an old National lap steel!

The Wildwood Troubador was what I really meant to buy. But somewhow I seemed to be about $800 short at the time...:D But this one is a special order entry level Chinese Gold Tone - kinda like a Stelling Goodtime but a little more banjo. It comes with "guitar type" (blecchhh - on a banjo??) tuners, but you can order it with planetary banjo tuners, which is what I did. Its a good learner and should be here next week. :)

Looks like an old National lap steel!

It's actually a newer Morrell lap steel. One of these days I'm going to get a real pedal steel. :( In the meantime, it's the lap steel with a volume pedal, some reverb, and prayer that nobody is listening too closely. :D

It's actually a newer Morrell lap steel. One of these days I'm going to get a real pedal steel. :( In the meantime, it's the lap steel with a volume pedal, some reverb, and prayer that nobody is listening too closely. :D

I've played pedal steel for over 30 years...hence my username.:D

I've played pedal steel for over 30 years...hence my username.:D

That's something I've always wanted to do. Even in my punk rock phase, I was always drawn to the sound of the pedal steel. There's just something about that sound. :D Every so often I look at that entry level Carter (The Carter Starter) and I tell myself, "Just do it." I'm a little concerned that it might be a clunker or that I would have trouble playing it. I can play slide on my lap steel/dobro but adding pedals and knee levers makes me wonder if I'm up to the task.

One of the guys in the band is a hot lap steel player. Actually he's a string monster and can play about anything, but lap steel and a red Telecaster are his leading weapons.:cool:

... and he's a leftie and plays his guitars reversed, but strung normally. He can get some wild chords going...

I had someone lend me a Showbud for the last few years. Every once in a while I get it out and set it up and then, the next day 'cause that takes one day right there! :D
I'll plunk around with it ...... but I'll never have the time it takes to learn that beast. 4 knee levers, a shitload of pedals .... a volume pedal that is intrinsic to the sound ..... no frets and a slide with freakin' finger picks!
Is it an instrument or a medieval torture device!

Awesome instrument in the hands of a pro.

Bought a banjo.

rb185gt.jpg

Nice. I just picked up something similar a few weeks ago, a newer version of the Gold Tone CC Traveler.....a shorter neck but the same pot as yours.....you can still tune to G if you use medium strings. Anyway, though it's a small tone ring they have good tone. Mine took a lot of setup but plays great.

At the same time I got a 'Plucky', also from Gold Tone.
http://www.goldtone.com/products/details/w/instrument/74/Plucky

I'm looking for instructional banjos for kids and adults and these fill the bill pretty well.
My main banjos are resonators, and an Ode long neck.

You can start with the banjo jokes now, I can take it, my first instrument was the accordian.

My main banjos are resonators, and an Ode long neck.

Drool....drool.....:D

banjo.jpg

Ode was known first for accessible starter instruments and later for hand built high end instruments. It was sold to Baldwin in 1966, but the original owner couldn't stay away from the bench and later created the Ome Banjo Co. Look at the stuff they do now:

Attachments

• GGa2c.jpg
    GGa2c.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 46
Back