I Buried My Grandmother Today

WhiteStrat

Don't stare at the eye.
Nope. Not a clone thread of "I Married My Daughter Last Night." I held down this quieter part of the board with that thread for some time, but now I'm checking in from another phase in the circle of life.

I'm very blessed. I'm "old" enough to have married off my beautiful daughter a couple weeks ago, but "young" enough to have buried my Grandma today. (The longevity's on both sides--the funeral was my Dad's mom, but my other grandparents--my mom's folks--were both there as well. They're nearing 90, still living on their own and dopey in love.)

There's no better way to go than after a long & happy life and with some sense of warning--so you can gather family and say goodbye. And even that best possible scenario is very painful.

Today I saw my 67 year old dad and his 60 year old brother standing alone at the open casket. Suddenly they were little boys--12 & 5, hugging each other with all they had as they said goodbye to mom...

Don't mean to be a downer. I really am blessed. I shared the wedding, just thought I'd share the funeral. (Really just wanted to vent a bit...)

Bye Grandma. Say hi to Grandpa for all of us...

While I am sorry for you loss, I am also glad that all of you were able to tell her one last time that you loved her and are going to miss her. I never got that chance with my grandmother. I was called home on emergency leave to see her in the hospital, and the navy made me go back because her condition improved. The doctors said it was my presence (I am her eldest grandchild and was her favorite). Sad thing is, she passed away a couple days after I went back to work, and I never made it home for the funeral.
God bless you for sharing, even if it dredged up a painful memory.

While I am sorry for you loss, I am also glad that all of you were able to tell her one last time that you loved her and are going to miss her. I never got that chance with my grandmother. I was called home on emergency leave to see her in the hospital, and the navy made me go back because her condition improved. The doctors said it was my presence (I am her eldest grandchild and was her favorite). Sad thing is, she passed away a couple days after I went back to work, and I never made it home for the funeral.
God bless you for sharing, even if it dredged up a painful memory.

It's not often I'm thanked for causing pain! :D

Seriously, I can relate-- saw others close to when she died, but I wasn't one of them. It had been a while, so I can relate to what you're saying. I think a good part of the pain is guilt for not being there more for them, y'know?

Thanx for sharing WhiteStrat. I come from a family that celebrated the lives of those who died while attending their funerals. It was always a party and was pretty neat for me until I went to a funeral for a 17 year old. Ouch, that hurt but in hindsight I'm happy he made it to the next life so soon.

There's not much longevity in my family and I got to watch my mom die right before me eyes. She had been real sick, kept asking for me and hung in there waiting for me to arrive. When I got there she was breathing real heavy and I just went up to her and told her I was there and she could rest now. Well she did, a tear came in her eye and she died. I think she was happy and content at that point and it was a beautiful thing though I did cry a little.

Now don't go thinking I have that effect on people:rolleyes: It's just a coincidence honest :D

This topic always reminds me of what little time I have here in this life to make myself something I can be proud of in the next life where time doesn't exist.

Time, precious, precious time. We need to make good use of it while we can.

God Bless!

Thanx for sharing WhiteStrat. I come from a family that celebrated the lives of those who died while attending their funerals. It was always a party and was pretty neat for me until I went to a funeral for a 17 year old. Ouch, that hurt but in hindsight I'm happy he made it to the next life so soon.

There's not much longevity in my family and I got to watch my mom die right before me eyes. She had been real sick, kept asking for me and hung in there waiting for me to arrive. When I got there she was breathing real heavy and I just went up to her and told her I was there and she could rest now. Well she did, a tear came in her eye and she died. I think she was happy and content at that point and it was a beautiful thing though I did cry a little.

Now don't go thinking I have that effect on people:rolleyes: It's just a coincidence honest :D

This topic always reminds me of what little time I have here in this life to make myself something I can be proud of in the next life where time doesn't exist.

Time, precious, precious time. We need to make good use of it while we can.

God Bless!

Your personal experiences are much appreciated, and your personal observations on the value of our time are spot on.

Thanks!

Geeze ...I am so sorry for you loss of your grandmother:(....

...and yet, so happy for your celebration of her life in your memories.:)

Geeze ...I am so sorry for you loss of your grandmother:(....

...and yet, so happy for your celebration of her life in your memories.:)

There's the magical balance that we have to keep, huh? It's hurts to lose 'em, but we have to celebrate that we ever even had 'em!

There's the magical balance that we have to keep, huh? It's hurts to lose 'em, but we have to celebrate that we ever even had 'em!
Yes! The full circle of life, death and beyond....and the choice to embrace or release the in-between...whatever that means...:confused::D
How did I miss that? Even as I typed it I didn't see the glorious double entendre. I must need a new shed... ;)
Hey...I'm sure if I lit my bwain on fire, it could find it's way to a triple...:eek::D

Sorry for your loss, Strat. But, you have to admit that that kind of longevity is a success story.:)

Your Grandmother was His before she was yours. Now He's got her back.;)

Sorry for your loss, Strat. But, you have to admit that that kind of longevity is a success story.:)

Your Grandmother was His before she was yours. Now He's got her back.;)

You're right. And I couldn't have said it any better than that. Thanks for the reminder!

Back