HR graveyard??

RFR

All day traffic has seemed super slow. As of a few minutes ago there were only 2 posts within the last hour and the next most recent one 3 hours ago.
Hmmm

Maybe people are at work.

It's between 12:45AM and 3:45AM in the USA right now, depending what part of the country you live in...I don't think there are too many working now. :)

TBH...I was surprised that during the 3 months of shutdowns, and even now during limited reopening ...that forum traffic didn't increase substantially, considering that most people were sitting home, on their computers (even the ones working from home)...yet it was pretty dead anyway on the forums.

The other day a saw that there were like 15 registered users on at one time...I was shocked...that was the most I've seen in a long time all on at the same time.

There has been an increase in traffic during the shutdown, maybe not much. A lot of new people are registering, but they post once or twice, then not come back. Of course, we've always had these one-hit wonders, but it seems more so now than before.

I go back to the argument that music isn't the commodity that it once was. Nowadays, people have video games, Reddit, TikTok, YouTube, etc. to distract them. People just aren't as interested in making music as they were 10 years ago.

Gone are the days of slipping on the headphones and slipping into a Pink Floyd album.
:listeningmusic:

I think the primary reason is that in pre-Facebook days, this was how the community connected with each other. Now there are Facebook groups for community connection, and youtube videos for music gear information and instruction. It is, unfortunately, a dying model.

I think Chili is basically right. For many....music is now just a "part" of their overall entertainment. For many of us....it was basically the entire deal. While music artists are still the audio of the times.....just like years ago......video (games and music etc) is the visual of the time.....as was TV years ago and IMO interest in video production is sort of the new passion of many younger and even older artists. As Chili is saying.......music just shares a budding and growing pool of producers. And as said by notCardio.....the passion and interest for music production is still there........but just divided up among so many other sites.

Mick

I think it depends a bit on what topics are active at the time as well. There have been a few topics which were pretty active for a period as people worked out recording issues (the opera singer is an example). Some of the MP3 mix clinics seem to just get a couple of comments. That might be because the mix is pretty solid to start with, or it might be a style that people might not feel competent to comment on. I refrain from making comments on some mixes if I'm sitting on my laptop since its hard to judge anything through the crappy speaker. I don't comment on hiphop/rap/beats type mixes, since I personally don't like that style of music. It would be hard to recommend possible changes in the mix because I don't understand the goal.

I still check in a bunch during the day when I'm not out or busy doing other things around the house.

I remember the early days of pre-forum Internet mailing lists. Particularly sports car lists in my case
We went from getting a monthly newsletter with info, tech tips and classifieds to this magic new world.
I could post a car question, and in ten minutes, I’d have 15 to 20 responses in my inbox. Armed with this new information my car would be fixed that day.

It was a glorious thing. :)

But as those are a thing of the past, probably so will be forums.

I remember the early days of pre-forum Internet mailing lists.

I remember the pre-Internet days...and it was a much better time...and I'm not just tripping down memory lane here. :D

Don't get me wrong...I live on the computer. I did computer based work for the last 25+ years...actually back to the late 80's when it started for me.
I jumped on it early, at work, but also for everyday use, and also for music use...and it has it's good points, but TBH, I think we've just become hooked, like junkies...but when you think back to pre-computer/cell phone days (for those of us that can), I don't think there was ever a time anyone felt like something was really missing....and I think we all had more real-world fun back then.

Socializing and daily activities were much more than just sending emails, texts and interacting on Facebook.
Heck...just going to the Mall was an afternoon experience...now I do 99.9% of my shopping online (and that's even before the virus).
We would all pile into a car...catch a buzz...go for a ride...walk around in the park...etc... etc...now it's all "virtual".

Yeah, I know people still do those "real" things...but much less, especially now...and I fear this virus stuff will permanently create a growing group of people who will consciously AVOID going out anymore, except for essentials...and virtual life will be the new real, or as everyone says...the "new normal"... :rolleyes: ...and THAT's what is puzzling, that more people haven't been here (and other forums), considering that most are staying in a lot more...?
I agree the audio forums have faded over the years...but with being stuck inside more...people are looking for things to do, and most of it is on the computer...including coming back and surfing the forums, etc.

Personally , I’d roll back to a pre internet pre cell phone world in a heartbeat.

As much as I live on the computer, and use it for a wide variety of things, not just the mindless stuff...you can't imagine how many time I've wished we could all go back to those pre-internet/cell phone days.

I most certainly could give it up if we had too...like if there was some global computer crash or something...and not cry about it.
I know..."just say no" and all that...but it's not that simple. and the reality is that you can't be the lone hold out if the whole world is on the internet and using computing...so it's where we are all stuck at right now.

I think about the movie "Transcendence" with Johnny Depp...and how much I was rooting for the "radicals" to destroy it all. :p

Here's a short anecdote...
Last week I picked up a small Gretsch drum kit to add to my existing one...I just though it would be nice to have two kits set up in the new studio, each with its own flavor :facepalm:...well, it seemed like a good idea, even when I realize that I don't play drums, and most of the time they will just sit there, unused...taking up space... :rolleyes:...but they will look real cool! :cool:

Anyway...so I find this kit on CL...and I email the guy...and finally we get to the phone # exchange, and I call the guy to talk to him...and he seems to have a hard time with that, being very short, etc...and finally he says to me, "Are you able to just text me?"...??????????????
I'm ON the phone talking to the guy...and he wants me to text him instead. :facepalm:
I can cover 10X more ground talking, in 1/10th the time it takes to text all that info...but this is where we are at...people don't want to connect too closely...it's all done at a virtual distance....and THAT is the real "social distancing" that's been going on for quite awhile now...not the 6' apart stuff....which is really a *physical* distance, not a social one.

I got the kit though. :)

All day traffic has seemed super slow. As of a few minutes ago there were only 2 posts within the last hour and the next most recent one 3 hours ago.
Hmmm
I was over at Tascam's forums. Noticed quite a few threads with years... years between question and response.

It's the post plateau effect of forums/social media {which forums were an early version of}. 20 years of flame wars will do that to people.

As Mr.Zimmerman said once "These times they are a changing"...Facebook and Reddit groups are the new more refined and specific BBS of today...These type of forums are dwindling.....Sure was fun while it lasted..these were a lot more personal where in the other venues it seems the connections are fast and fleeting...

These type of forums are dwindling.....Sure was fun while it lasted...
Well, I for one will probably be a contributor to that trend. Pretty much done. I’m not on any other internet “social media” . Just here.
But my own interest is waning.

When you can post something and have days before someone responds.... Well, talking to your dog or yourself can be more rewarding:)

We had a hot topic for a while with our controversial thread.... that was fun. :)

But as BB said..... The thrill is gone.

I have never owned a cell phone and probably never will.
In the U.S. you are a rarity...98% of American men own a mobile phone in 2020....Hell here in Cali they give em away to the homeless...smart phones to boot!

Now that I have arrived I should drag the IQ level down a few percentage points. There is no such thing as a smart phone, and if there was, and I owned one, it would become a dumb phone.

Back