Hey, mshilarious! New Product Idea!

apl

Stand Up Comity
Let's collaborate!

I really need a pair of voices-in-my-head cancelling headphones!

I'll be glad to buy the parts and be the crash test dummy if you'd figure out how to rig them up.

Well, some people use this remedy... hummm, let me remember... oh, yeah, its called a gun. All you do is just shoot the voices. I'm told it works really good...

:D:D

Well, some people use this remedy... hummm, let me remember... oh, yeah, its called a gun. All you do is just shoot the voices. I'm told it works really good...

That wouldn't actually work because you'd die with a tormented soul and end up as an angry apparition for all of eternity.

Cheers! :)

Let's collaborate!

I really need a pair of voices-in-my-head cancelling headphones!

I'll be glad to buy the parts and be the crash test dummy if you'd figure out how to rig them up.

OK, lets come at this from a different angle...

Have all the parts of your brain that have voices surgically cut out. Even if you end up in a coma.

:eek: This is such a morbid idea...

mshilarious-- here's one i'd actually love to see-- a passive (as transparent as possible) high pass in-line filter built into a neutrik connector like your pads or phase reverse thingy. i've noticed that oktava now makes one for their mk-012.
it might be popular with folks who use api 500 series pres-- most of which don't have highpass filters (aka lo cut buttons). i know i'd order a pair :o :D

mshilarious-- here's one i'd actually love to see-- a passive (as transparent as possible) high pass in-line filter built into a neutrik connector like your pads or phase reverse thingy. i've noticed that oktava now makes one for their mk-012.
it might be popular with folks who use api 500 series pres-- most of which don't have highpass filters (aka lo cut buttons). i know i'd order a pair :o :D

And that's supposed to make the voices in your head go away? I think you'd need a flux capacitor in there somewhere...

I haven't seen the Oktava device; are you sure it's passive?

It can be done, at least if you're happy with 6dB/octave (mainly because of space), and the big caveat; ideally it has to be customized for your preamp. That's because you specified a passive device, which means you can't buffer the filter from the input impedance of the preamp. So you'd have to select the capacitor value for the desired corner frequency given the input impedance of the preamp. You can kinda sorta get around that if you don't mind padding the whole signal; then you can drop the impedance of the filter circuit low without loading down the mic.

The second problem is a series capacitor will block phantom power. You can get around that with a bypass resistor, but that will create a shelving filter rather than a rolloff. How low the shelf is depends on the value of the resistor; higher values are lower shelves, but they also soak up more of the phantom you are trying to pass.

There is probably a reasonable compromise for all those issues, but as you can see, transparency goes out the window fairly quickly.

Anyway, if you're interested, email me. I might bang one out for the MSH-1 as it is happy with very little power. Other condensers, I dunno. Anything with a low current rating (3mA or so) should be OK, I would think.

Actually I am hoping to add an internal low cut on the MSH-2 for 2008 . . . and lately I've been playing with mini-transformers. Those guys are really fun; I'm going to do a few more transformer products :)

It can be done, at least if you're happy with 6dB/octave (mainly because of space), and the big caveat; ideally it has to be customized for your preamp. That's because you specified a passive device, which means you can't buffer the filter from the input impedance of the preamp. So you'd have to select the capacitor value for the desired corner frequency given the input impedance of the preamp. You can kinda sorta get around that if you don't mind padding the whole signal; then you can drop the impedance of the filter circuit low without loading down the mic.

The second problem is a series capacitor will block phantom power. You can get around that with a bypass resistor, but that will create a shelving filter rather than a rolloff. How low the shelf is depends on the value of the resistor; higher values are lower shelves, but they also soak up more of the phantom you are trying to pass.

There is probably a reasonable compromise for all those issues, but as you can see, transparency goes out the window fairly quickly.

Anyway, if you're interested, email me. I might bang one out for the MSH-1 as it is happy with very little power. Other condensers, I dunno. Anything with a low current rating (3mA or so) should be OK, I would think.

Actually I am hoping to add an internal low cut on the MSH-2 for 2008 . . . and lately I've been playing with mini-transformers. Those guys are really fun; I'm going to do a few more transformer products :)

So how does this supposed to help poor lad who had complained about voices in his head????:mad::mad::mad:

awesome-- i guess it won't work and i'm going to bet that you're right about the non-passive nature of the oktavas. wishful thinking i suppose. it's built into the same housing as the -10db pads that come with the mk-012's-- i just noticed some places selling them individually or packaged with the mk-012's.

what about a pad that gets patched in between the last analog piece of your chain and your a/d converter/interface?

incidentally-- those analog summing cables look awesome! i may very well pick some of those up.

awesome-- i guess it won't work and i'm going to bet that you're right about the non-passive nature of the oktavas. wishful thinking i suppose. it's built into the same housing as the -10db pads that come with the mk-012's-- i just noticed some places selling them individually or packaged with the mk-012's.

I kicked it around in a model for a while; the best I could do was about an overall -6dB pad with a -3dB corner (really -9dB) at 80Hz, and only about -3dB/octave below that. Not very acceptable. BUT as I said, if you wanted it customized for a fixed input impedance, that is more doable.

what about a pad that gets patched in between the last analog piece of your chain and your a/d converter/interface?

Sure, or do it in software. Unless there is really heavy bass content clipping your preamp/converter, then you need the rolloff in front of it. Also if it is triggering a compressor, and I suppose a few reasons I haven't thought of.

It's less troublesome to design a line-level low cut filter since you generally don't have to worry about the driving capability of the source, and the following impedance should be nice and high . . . you can therefore use smaller capacitors, maybe even polys . . .

incidentally-- those analog summing cables look awesome! i may very well pick some of those up.

I have to say, I am pretty embarassed at charging money to put resistors in a cable, but other people don't seem embarassed by charging five times as much to put them in a box (OK, with pretty switches, etc) . . . and then you'd still need to buy the cables!

I kicked it around in a model for a while; the best I could do was about an overall -6dB pad with a -3dB corner (really -9dB) at 80Hz, and only about -3dB/octave below that. Not very acceptable. BUT as I said, if you wanted it customized for a fixed input impedance, that is more doable.

How about just a notch filter at 50/60 Hz for all those folks too cheap to fix their wiring. :D

...Sure, or do it in software. Unless there is really heavy bass content clipping your preamp/converter, then you need the rolloff in front of it. Also if it is triggering a compressor, and I suppose a few reasons I haven't thought of...
yeah the primary reason i'm asking is a preamp in front of a compressor. i am down to two sets of pres-- the ones built into a langevin dvc, which have low cuts (well basically switchable frequency shelving eq's) and two a-design p-1 (500 series) which don't. none of my mics have high pass filters. the a-designs sound great and have great bass response, which is nice, but i'd like to use the elop limiter in the dvc (and/or my gyraf 1176). you can input directly into the limiter in of the dvc, but it bypasses the eq as well as the pre and i think the limiter is getting a little over-triggered by the bass response, or it would at least be nice to cut the low frequencies a bit.

Back