Hey Mods

It's nice to see some of the A&A crowd drifting back now the cave has closed...:thumbs up:

Meh. I'm not a drama queen. I don't really give a shit about all of this and that. Talk of the cave just got me thinking about my homies gerg and suppercrap so I figured I'd make my bi-annual visit over to say hi.

Thanks for noticing though.

Lol. Oh shit! I forgot about you! Sorry. Yes, I like you too. How have you been? Still up in the northwest?

LOL. Been doing well, man. Still up in the PNW- and these days I'm fishing like you used to (maybe still do). I've now dropped thousands of $$ on gear and go out at least 2-3 times a week. Although all of the rivers are about to close until fall, so I'll have a break until September.

All in all, still loving it up here- except for all the fucking Seahawk fans. They're fucking terrible- like wannabe Raiders fans without the felonies.

How've you been?

LOL. Been doing well, man. Still up in the PNW- and these days I'm fishing like you used to (maybe still do). I've now dropped thousands of $$ on gear and go out at least 2-3 times a week. Although all of the rivers are about to close until fall, so I'll have a break until September.

All in all, still loving it up here- except for all the fucking Seahawk fans. They're fucking terrible- like wannabe Raiders fans without the felonies.

How've you been?

Been great. Same ol same ol.

So what are you catching up there? You fishing rivers only? Or do you hit the ocean?

Meh. I'm not a drama queen. I don't really give a shit about all of this and that. Talk of the cave just got me thinking about my homies gerg and suppercrap so I figured I'd make my bi-annual visit over to say hi.

Thanks for noticing though.

lol lucy, there are no drama queens here or there.

There are some people that are a bit above em selves though....;)

Good to see you though... We had some good fun before lets do it again...:)

Been great. Same ol same ol.

So what are you catching up there? You fishing rivers only? Or do you hit the ocean?

Fishing for salmon and steelhead. We've been going all over the state hitting different rivers for different runs, catching kings, silvers, pinks as far as salmon go. I'm looking forward to this fall because it's a pink year- that means we'll be going catching instead of going fishing. The pinks run in huge numbers.

I haven't done much fishing in the ocean. The only real options are fishing piers or boats. I spent a lot of time on the piers when I first got here and never had much success. I don't have a boat and I don't know anyone who has one. Eventually I'd like to get one- it'll just open things up for me. The rivers are closed from April 1 - end of August. But the kings are just starting to show up in saltwater off the coast- not to mention rockfish and lingcod. Having a boat would open up summer fishing for me.

You still fishing for those bull reds?

Fishing for salmon and steelhead. We've been going all over the state hitting different rivers for different runs, catching kings, silvers, pinks as far as salmon go. I'm looking forward to this fall because it's a pink year- that means we'll be going catching instead of going fishing. The pinks run in huge numbers.

I haven't done much fishing in the ocean. The only real options are fishing piers or boats. I spent a lot of time on the piers when I first got here and never had much success. I don't have a boat and I don't know anyone who has one. Eventually I'd like to get one- it'll just open things up for me. The rivers are closed from April 1 - end of August. But the kings are just starting to show up in saltwater off the coast- not to mention rockfish and lingcod. Having a boat would open up summer fishing for me.

I know we've not met, but I'm from Salmon, Snake, Clearwater River area. If you ever get the chance, take a tour boat up Hell's Canyon out of Lewiston and try to hook a sturgeon. Just about as much fun as you can have on a fresh water fishies...:)

That all sounds cool. I'm always interested in what people catch in other areas. The only salmon around here are at the supermarket. :D

I haven't been fishing as much this past winter. But yeah, still going after the big stuff in the gulf. The Black Drum are showing up and they're pretty much the biggest fish you can catch inshore that won't eat you. I wanna catch some Jacks this year. They'll be here in about another month. I always miss the Jack run and have to settle for stragglers later in the year. A Jack Crevalle aint edible, but they're awesome shark bait, and goddam they fight like a fighter jet.

I know we've not met, but I'm from Salmon, Snake, Clearwater River area. If you ever get the chance, take a tour boat up Hell's Canyon out of Lewiston and try to hook a sturgeon. Just about as much fun as you can have on a fresh water fishies...:)

I've been wanting to try sturgeon fishing. That sounds awesome! I used to do a lot of fly fishing over on the other side of Idaho when I was younger - I lived in Idaho Falls for a while. That was just for little trout though.

That all sounds cool. I'm always interested in what people catch in other areas. The only salmon around here are at the supermarket. :D

I haven't been fishing as much this past winter. But yeah, still going after the big stuff in the gulf. The Black Drum are showing up and they're pretty much the biggest fish you can catch inshore that won't eat you. I wanna catch some Jacks this year. They'll be here in about another month. I always miss the Jack run and have to settle for stragglers later in the year. A Jack Crevalle aint edible, but they're awesome shark bait, and goddam they fight like a fighter jet.

That sounds fun. How big do those jacks get? I grew up mostly fishing for small trout in little creeks and streams. The only big fish I ever caught was when we went out for carp or catfish. They don't fight for shit. Pulling in a catfish is about as fun as reeling in a boot. These salmon though- they're fun. I pulled in an 18 pound king last fall and I fought that thing for a good 20 minutes or so. The pinks are a little limp, but the silvers are pretty fun- not quite as fun as the kings though. Chum are good fighters too.

Steelhead are fun, too if you catch them on the way up. When they're coming back down, they've lost their fight...Used to go out with polarized lenses so you can actually see them under water and "taunt" them with the bait. About the only way you can attract them when all they've got on their mind is spawning. I'm kinda like that, too! :)

I've been wanting to try sturgeon fishing. That sounds awesome! I used to do a lot of fly fishing over on the other side of Idaho when I was younger - I lived in Idaho Falls for a while. That was just for little trout though.

That sounds fun. How big do those jacks get? I grew up mostly fishing for small trout in little creeks and streams. The only big fish I ever caught was when we went out for carp or catfish. They don't fight for shit. Pulling in a catfish is about as fun as reeling in a boot. These salmon though- they're fun. I pulled in an 18 pound king last fall and I fought that thing for a good 20 minutes or so. The pinks are a little limp, but the silvers are pretty fun- not quite as fun as the kings though. Chum are good fighters too.

Jacks can get 35-40". I'm not sure what they'd weigh. I don't weigh fish often. I know that goes against the norm, but down here we measure them for length because that's how limits are determined. Like Redfish have to be between 20 and 28 inches. They can weigh whatever they weigh, but you better not have one less than 20" or more than 28" unless you tag a big one as a "Bull". You can keep one Bull per year, but never one less than 20". Black Drum can easily hit 50" and about 60-70 pounds. Most Bull Black Drum are around 40" and approx 30-45 pounds.

Anyway, Jacks are fighters. They are voracious predators built for power and speed and they patrol in large schools. Even a small Jack can feel like you have a monster on your line. A big Jack can work you for an hour, and if your gear isn't up to the task, bye bye. You can almost see them coming because the baitfish will start going bananas. Actually the birds are the first indicator. Where there are birds, there is bait in the water. Where there is bait, there are fish. Where there are fish, there are bigger fish. It's the violent circle of life! Lol. Anyway, when you see pods of mullet start freaking out, it means Jacks, sharks, or Redfish are probably nearby. I got into a school of Jacks one year on a pier, hooked into a good one, and he took literally every line on the pier for a run before he broke us all off. It was a total tangled mess. I've seen Jacks come through at the Texas City Dike and all you hear are people's reels screaming for mercy. It's like calm peaceful silence, then bam! Fish on, for everyone. They are wicked. Sharks will do the same thing, but not so much in schools like Jacks. I've had sharks take me down to my last few wraps of line on the spool before I could turn him around. We're talking like hundreds of yards of heavy line on big reels. Some of them jump and flip and they go side-to-side. I've had sharks take me a mile down the beach. Saltwater is where it's at! The Gulf of Mexico is a warm body of water. It's totally common to catch 5-6 ft Bull Sharks right where people are swimming around. :D

when I was a hunt saboteur back in the 80's there were fishing saboteurs too...only on rivers of course, the see might be a bit too big to stop the carnage ;)

Back