Here's something I can agree with Biden about.

60's guy

Google News - Biden's first move as president-elect? Mask mandate for all. Here's how he plans on doing it.
My daily routine consists of visits to the local gas station for a cup of coffee, the post office, and the grocery store. The post office and grocery mandate it that you can't enter without a mask. The gas station doesn't mandate the wearing of masks because it is not mandatory by law. I have witnessed customers arguing with each other intensely.
A mask mandate would be a step in the right direction.

Did these kinds of idiots do the same things when AIDS first appeared? I think covid has become a cause for some, or crazier, not belived. I sell radios, an old part of my self employment that I've spun back up with my live work dead since covid. A customer phoned me. If he bought one, could he send it back if it didn't fit in his boat. I laughed and said fine, just keep the microphone in its plastic bag while he tested in in case of covid. There was a pause. Then he said "what? You think it's real?" He genuinely thought it was all a hyped up stunt of some kind that had got out of control and was eating away at people's rights. He seemed perfectly normal till then. I just jaw dropped that somebody educated could be that dim! Clearly, there are idiots about.

Did these kinds of idiots do the same things when AIDS first appeared? I think covid has become a cause for some, or crazier, not belived. I sell radios, an old part of my self employment that I've spun back up with my live work dead since covid. A customer phoned me. If he bought one, could he send it back if it didn't fit in his boat. I laughed and said fine, just keep the microphone in its plastic bag while he tested in in case of covid. There was a pause. Then he said "what? You think it's real?" He genuinely thought it was all a hyped up stunt of some kind that had got out of control and was eating away at people's rights. He seemed perfectly normal till then. I just jaw dropped that somebody educated could be that dim! Clearly, there are idiots about.

Yes, they are still around. Even tRump said a few weeks ago that the virus will go away on Nov 4.

Google News - Biden's first move as president-elect? Mask mandate for all. Here's how he plans on doing it.
My daily routine consists of visits to the local gas station for a cup of coffee, the post office, and the grocery store. The post office and grocery mandate it that you can't enter without a mask. The gas station doesn't mandate the wearing of masks because it is not mandatory by law. I have witnessed customers arguing with each other intensely.
A mask mandate would be a step in the right direction.

If by "national mask mandate," you mean "ask governors to enact state laws consistent with the executive's desires," great.

I think covid has become a cause for some, or crazier, not believed
Went into school yesterday only to be told that because a child in the year group I work with {9~10 year olds} has tested positive, all the children in the year group {120 of them} and all the staff have to self isolate for the next 14 days.
I know 6 people {that I can think of off the top of my head} that have had it, know of around 8 or so more, and between my wife and I we know 3 people that have died from it. I get that people don't believe it because there has been a lot of misinformation, so much polarizing information, so many different points of view on it and it seems that there has been so much irresponsibility regarding it ranging from Dominic Cummings, Donald Trump, Novak Djokovich, Jair Bolsonaro and Margaret Ferrier on the one hand to those that want to lock down everything because it runs against where the govt here stands,on the other.
I can also understand that if it hasn't been brought close to one why one might be skeptical of it.
Until it is.

Wow that sucks GT hoping that none of you get it from that one kid. I am hoping that as a school you all were using best practices...Everyone wearing mask, washing hands and distancing. The likely hood of anyone else getting it from is lowered drastically if these were in place.

Self quarantining for 14 days is the gold standard protocol for circumventing any further spread...

The dodgy part of this is that all of you went home and were in contact with hundreds of other people before coming back to school and finding out the news ( I am assuming this is how it went down) and if that is the case they and everyone they have been in contact should self quarantine for 14 days and that probably isn't going to happen because it becomes a huge amount of people.

Bottom line I hope you and your family dodge the bullet...though I know several cases where it was not so bad...I have friends who almost died and one old school chum that died within 3 days of getting it and he was a pretty bad ass martial arts dude.

Good thoughts headed your way.

hoping that none of you get it from that one kid
We don't actually know which child it is due to GDPR, which is understandable. To be honest, I'm not worried about it.
But I might be if I lose my sense of taste and smell and start coughing ! :D
I am hoping that as a school you all were using best practices...Everyone wearing mask, washing hands and distancing. The likely hood of anyone else getting it from is lowered drastically if these were in place.
Our school is pretty hot on all the measures. The children don't wear masks {they do in high schools, in publicly accessed areas} but staff have visors if they want them and there is much washing of hands and sanitizing in the building and sanitizers all over the place outside. England's children have never been so clean ! In reality, it's hard to distance because the actual rooms we are in are so small {it's 30 kids to a class} and being England, many of our school buildings are tight, narrow and cramped and weren't built with a future pandemic in mind {!}. Movement is generally one way which means going right around the perimeter of the school just to reach a point that you would ordinarily be at in 16 steps. The different year groups operate at different times and none of them meet so for example those in what you'd call the 5th grade have no contact with the other grades and parents can't come into the school playground without a mask. We have 4 year groups and none of them can cross into the terrotory of another year group. There have been other changes which we've all just taken in our stride. For example, for this 2 week period, we'll be doing the lessons online. That's really odd.
If I actually think about it, a lot of organization has to go into making any environment covid safe and I think the head teacher and those assisting her are doing a pretty neat job.

The dodgy part of this is that all of you went home and were in contact with hundreds of other people before coming back to school and finding out the news ( I am assuming this is how it went down) and if that is the case they and everyone they have been in contact should self quarantine for 14 days and that probably isn't going to happen because it becomes a huge amount of people.
Interestingly, one of the children made a similar point when they were told they wouldn't be coming back for two weeks. It highlights for me some of the achilles heel of the government guidelines. Though I can see very few circumstances in which I'd vote for this government, I'm not one to criticize the govt over their handling of the pandemic because no govt has had to face something like this before, but there have been times when even I've had to call them out and say "Que paso ?" For example, when ministers or advisors clearly flouted lockdown rules that everyone else was expected to live by and there was no kind of censure, it didn't take the prophet Malachi to see that there were going to be a lot of people that were going to flout the rules because of it. And it became harder for scores of parents with older teens to justify why they should observe the rules when those in positions of privilege and power didn't and got away with it.
Or when the govt caved in to pressure to end the lockdown back in May/June, many of us said hold the bus, this is too soon. We appreciate the economic argument and indeed, are affected by it adversely, but we need to go sensibly here. And what happened ? The rates of infection went up to the extent that we are now in a second lockdown. At first it was the death rates that were a bit of a freakout, as they would be, but I remember back in April thinking that it was actually the rates of new infections and where they were occurring that should be the concern. And to connect to the topic at hand, the knock on effect of people working in a and going to a school {that's around 120 kids in the year group, 5 teachers and two teaching assistants} that have to isolate could be huge. But the govt guidelines make little sense. Many of the children in our year group have siblings in other year groups in the school {and, come to think of it, in different high schools} but those siblings aren't having to quarantine. Then there's, as you've pointed out, all of our households. Even with a lockdown in place, many people are still required to go to work, some of whom are the parents of the kids. So the potential for the spread is vast.
It's not hard to see how, from one person, a virus can gain traction in a village, town or city and spread.

Both my daughters are educators but the older is an admin so she's only doing zoom meetings mostly...The other works with special needs and it is crazy. Here in So Cal all the schools are virtual right now EXCEPT special needs...Kinda sucks but she's being super careful and not putting up with any bullshit that might break protocol as to staying safe..

This virus is generally pretty mild on kids...but with adults it's a crap shoot from 80 year olds with hardly any symptoms to 20 year olds that die from it...crazy times.

This is the biggest scam the world has seen. Ever! Fake numbers, inaccurate computer models, padded death statistics,

And to watch how complacent and compliant people are to the medical/ political tyranny is totally disgusting.

And the bastards LOVE to ramp up the fear and destroy every single holiday.

The real pandemic is control over, and destruction of our lives.

It’s gotta stop.,and I’m not talking about the ‘disease’.

Why would anyone want to destroy a holiday?

If you think coronavirus is a hoax, then all you have to do is go to your local hospital and ask them if it's a hoax. All those doctors and nurses can give you the straight scoop.

I know personally three medical front line people. What do they say? It’s a nothing burger. Unless you’re old , already sick, got a foot in the grave, it’s no worse than a cold or flu.

I have a friend in his 60s, been battling cancer for 5 years and is missing a lung,

He got it. Guess what? He survived.

And quit twisting my words. I never said it’s a hoax!!!!! Yes it exists.

What I said was that it was a scam.

It is being used to crash the economy, destroy the middle class, bring in more top down authoritarian control, and generally take away our freedoms.

But I guess the left liberals like that.

I have a better idea. Why don’t you just go back to the UK? It seems you’re against the constitution, freedom and what this country was founded on..... and NO it wasn’t founded on slavery. It was founded to defeat tyranny.

You don’t like it here? You’re free to leave.

How can I go back to the UK when I've never even been there?

247,000 Americans are dead (and they're not all Trump's fault). There are 150,000 new cases per day right now (7 day rolling average). Over 1,000 Americans are dying per day (7 day rolling average).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/grap...onavirus-us-cases-deaths/?itid=sf_coronavirus

3,000 Americans died on 9/11.

2,100 died at Pearl Harbor.

58,000 died in Vietnam.

117,000 died in WWI.

400,000 died in WWII.

We're on a WWII track for the quantity of deaths, so why wouldn't we be reacting proportionately? 247,000 deaths in 7 Months is kind of a big deal.

Go back to England applies to all that don’t like this country :)

As far as you in specific (IBB)

You can quote all the numbers from the media you want.....it’s meaningless. If the numbers are inflated, they’re not accurate.

They’re however useful in propaganda and promoting an agenda.

The media figures you quote come from the same people that have sold us every war.

You’re not so stupid and naive to think they care about us, and want to save lives, are you????

I like this country just fine - especially since it rejected Trump.

I don't need to stereotype media people. Some are good. Some are bad. They are individuals. If a media person steers me wrong, I remove them from my information supply chain. Permanently. Can you say the same?

Yeah...normally I'd agree about haters just needing to hate...but this site is very unique in terms of human behavior...and shows us something VERY interesting.

For the many years I've been on this site...I've had so many great conversations about music and technology and instruments and...well you know....all the stuff that falls into home recording. It's been awesome. Never much of a problem with opinions and points of view on all that. Then...2020 comes along and well...holy moly...we began to "see" and "learn" too much about who each of us is....personally. Too bad really. It was so much more fun when we were all about the reason this site became so popular to begin with. Sites die when they become personal. Now you could say...hey no one's been personal here...or condescending. Uh huh...right. Or you could say....hey if you don't like it....go elsewhere. Bingo!

So...my point is...that politics and religion truly are killers of places like this. Essentially...we hate to find out that people who we looked forward to listening to and talking to each day about our COMMON passion...turn out to be people we couldn't really be friends with. Too bad. That's not to say that our friends have to agree with us...it just means that they can't take it to hate or ridicule. No one wants a friend like that. It's all about the disappointment of finding out the guy you thought so much of....well...you get it.

Recently my AC went out. The tech arrived and went to work right away. I walked out to see if he wanted something cold to drink. As I brought him a Coke...he said...without the topic even coming up..."you know this corona thing is all about population control by the government right?".

Just my ramblings.

Thanks for listening.

Welcome to the great divide.
:)

Before my time, but I’ve got the impression it was much much more brutal in the days of the cave.

Back