Famous Musicians who became actors (Or were at least in some good movies)

Bretfromhope

Hey Guys and Gals,

Let's do something fun since most of us are home.

What successful musicians have transitioned to acting into Hollywood movies?

They don't have to be full-time actors but at least had a lead or side role of some kind.

Not talking cameos here.

Let me start.

1. Beyonce (I said successful musicians, not good ones, hehe) - Austin Powers. Saw her in a Netflix movie too.
2. Selena Gomez - Spring Breakers (With James Franco) and a couple others.
3. Jennifer Lopez (A lot of them, big ones too).
4. Ice Cube (Rapper, not what's most likely in your fridge)
5. Eminem - Had one, but wow!

Your turn . . . :)

Last edited:
Lady Gaga did the remake of A Star is Born, which was a role that
Barbra Streisand played opposite
Kris Kristofferson.

Streisand also did Funny Girl, Yentle, Prince of Tides, and a bunch more.

Bette Midler has been in quite a few movies.

Neil Diamond did the Jazz Singer. The soundtrack was probably 5 times more successful than the movie.

David Bowie was in The Man Who Fell To Earth, The Linguine Incident, and Labyrinth. And a cameo in Zoolander :)

Steven Van Zandt was in Lilehammer, The Sopranos, and had a bit part in The Irishman.

Tom Waits has been in all sorts of stuff...I saw him most recently in The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs. I remember him in Seven Psychopaths, Coffee & Cigarettes, The Fisher King, Book Of Eli, and Mystery Men. IMDB says he's been in a bunch of other stuff that I haven't seen (but I will now!)

That's all I've got off the top of my head.

I know there’s s bunch but the only thing that pops in my head is madonna. Don’t remember the movie but she was young and cute at the time. :) To me she made a better actress than recording artist.

Oh then you got Johnny Depp, better actor than musician. Kiefer Sutherland, again better actor.
There’s a buttload of actors who do music but are known for acting. I think you’re looking for the opposite :)

Jerry Reed - Smokey and the Bandit, and several others. (Also 50 soundtrack credits according to IMDb)
Elvis Presley??
Levon Helm - Coal Miner's Daughter, others

I know there’s s bunch but the only thing that pops in my head is madonna. Don’t remember the movie but she was young and cute at the time. :)
Was it Desperately seeking Susan ?

Bob Dylan has done a couple.
Mick Jagger did "Performance" and Ned Kelly."
Roger Daltrey did "Tommy" and "McVicar."
Sting did "Quadrophenia" and one that I can't recall but it had a really creepy poster that I used to see all over train station walls.
Ringo did a few like "Candy" and "The Magic Christian."
Donovan did "The Pied Piper."
Bob Geldoff did "Pink Floyd ~ The Wall."
I'm sure I saw Lemmy on a poster 30 years or so ago on a film called "Eat the rich."
Phil Collins did "Buster."
Diana Ross did "Mahogany," "Lady sings the blues" and {cough, cough} "The Wiz."
I'm sure there's loads more. I find most that I've seen are pretty shitty.

Sting did "Quadrophenia" and one that I can't recall but it had a really creepy poster that I used to see all over train station walls.

I bet you're thinking about DUNE from back in the 80s. Unfortunately it wasn't the best of movies, at a time when SciFi movies were hitting a peak with stuff like Alien, Bladerunner, StarWars and ET.

Speaking of Quadrophenia, it was just on cable about a month ago. It had been AGES since I had seen it.

I bet you're thinking about DUNE from back in the 80s. Unfortunately it wasn't the best of movies
It may well have been "Dune." Whatever it was, I didn't see it.
Another candidate, doesn't Keith Richards turn up in one of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" films ?

Jagger also did "Freejack" in the early 90's. Went and seen it at the movies, I remember enjoying myself, but then again I was in my early 20's, so life was still full of life.

Brian Protheroe .... he had a hit with 'Pinball'.

Olivia Newton John.... Loads of things.

Meatloaf ..... Rocky Horror Show

Glen Campbell .... True Grit

Jared Leto (is he successful?)
Kelly Clarkson (From Justin to Kelly :rolleyes:)
Frankie Avalon
Beatles
Sammy Davis Jr.
Springsteen

Brimstone and Treacle?

Unsettling movie and character Sting played, almost the spawn of satan. Claims to the parents of a catatonic girl to be the long lost boyfriend. Offers to remain by her side and assist in her care. Once the parents are in bed for the night he rapes her, which "cures" her. I could be mistaken, but I don't think it is even listed on Sting's filmography. Perhaps on account it isn't a good look? Who knows.

Speaking of Ringo, I guess not an acting gig, but he narrated a little movie called The Point! featuring songs written by the late great Harry Nilsson.

Guitarist, Les Dudek had a small role in Cher's movie..."Mask" as a biker dude named Boner. Ironic role name considering the fact that Dudek and Cher were also romantically involved. At least he didn't marry her like Gregg Allman did. ? Dudek wrote and composed most of the music for that movie, including the theme song, "Behind The Mask", which wasn't used for the movie.

I recently posted about my mom's passing, including song lyrics. I wrote my lyrics to the music of Dudek's song "Behind The Mask" caught my ears years ago.

There's probably not many here who even recognize the name...Les Dudek. Some of the old farts like myself might remember "Old Judge Jones".
YouTube

Back