EEEeeek! It's a mouse!

spantini

COO of me, inc.
My mouse is driving me crazy. The L/R button pads are integrated with a simple split down the middle. The past couple weeks, clicking the Left button brings up the (right click) menu. A second click will usually close the window and correctly select the initial operation.

I have experimented.. Clicking the Left button on top next to the wheel nearly always produces the above results. Sliding my finger forward, clicking the leading edge always produces normal behavior. Also, instead of quickly clicking the Left button, pressing and holding for a half second works perfectly. The Right button has no such problems.

IMO, my el-cheapo USB mouse is beginning to fray at the edges here. I don't believe this is a settings or driver problem.

mouse.jpg

Probably just the little switch mechanism becoming weaker/easier to trigger over time.
I bet if you held lift click down and gently pried up the right side with your fingernail, gently bending the plastic a little, it'd solve it...or break it.

parrot.jpg

Brawwwk! Make or break.. Make or break.. [MENTION=43272]Steenamaroo[/MENTION] sezz Make or break! Brawwwk!

I'll give that a try :)

Hey! Your little fix is working. May not last long, but it confirms it's the mouse. When it starts up again I'll wedge a bit of something in there to hold it up.

Nowhere near as fun as RFR's approach, though...Has to be said.

I’m usually a fix it guy. Lotsa stuff I’ve hung onto till the bitter end by fixing and re-fixing.
But..... the older I get I’m more inclined to use the previously mentioned approach:)

I’m usually a fix it guy. Lotsa stuff I’ve hung onto till the bitter end by fixing and re-fixing.
But..... the older I get I’m more inclined to use the previously mentioned approach:)

Yeah Tom Fixin here...and it has to stop..... Kinda always went with the depression era mantra "use it up, wear it out, make due or do without" Kills me to throw shit away cause I can use it to fix something...it goes from construction stuff , auto repair stuff to electronics and music gear...I have more nuts n bolts n screws in my garage than Carter has liver pills ( showing my age ) My brother is moving out of Cali to Idaho like so many of us retiring Californians and he has been purging for a few years...oh the pain...I started thinking about us and selling our shack of 34 years and moving towards San Diego........holy shit! I gotta start purging and it is REALLY hard for me to do...

Oh yeah on the mouse thing For my main PC I use a kensington track ball...weird to get used to but once you are used to it most other mice are rat shit...just my personal opinion.

Last edited:
I used a trackball many years ago, on loan from a friend. I recall taking to it immediately yet, after returning it, I have never acquired one of my own as I have always used the OEM supplied with whatever PC I had purchased. After reading your post, a Kensington Orbit Wired Trackball with Scroll Ring seems to be calling my name...

Well, I found a fairly good remedy. I took a round, pointed, wooden toothpick and snipped the tip off one end. I wedged that tip into the opening of the mouse pad as far back as it would fit. That made the right click impossible, so I moved it forward just enough to allow a right click with a force greater than normal. I left that in and used the mouse frequently for 2 days, then I removed it and the mouse has been working perfectly all day today.

I don't mind spending for a better mouse, I just like to experiment to see if I can find a solution.

mouse.jpg

Last edited:
After reading your post, a Kensington Orbit Wired Trackball with Scroll Ring seems to be calling my name...

They are built like tanks...one small maintenance thing is every several months or so I have to lift the track ball and clean out the dust..
No biggie... another short lived feature that's sadly coming to an end is each of the grandkids @ 2 really loved trying to get the ball out of the pad...it's a little tricky for a 2 year old and kind of a fun thing to try and succeed at..It loses it novelty after a few months and they don't ness with it anymore...but a fond memory of them rascals coming into to their Happa's office to check things out

I've grabbed a bunch of Logitech wireless mice (meeces?) when the Staples office supply had them for around $10. I put them in the laptop bag, have one for the smart TV, and have a couple of spares in the drawer. I used to try to fix them, but its not worth the hassle anymore.

The other thing that seems to always go bad is the TV remote. The buttons get gummy inside and won't make contact. You have to disassemble them and clean the gunk off. Then they work for 6 months and you have to do it again. Universal remotes are fine except there's always a couple of functions that aren't on the universal.

They are built like tanks...one small maintenance thing is every several months or so I have to lift the track ball and clean out the dust..
No biggie... another short lived feature that's sadly coming to an end is each of the grandkids @ 2 really loved trying to get the ball out of the pad...it's a little tricky for a 2 year old and kind of a fun thing to try and succeed at..It loses it novelty after a few months and they don't ness with it anymore...but a fond memory of them rascals coming into to their Happa's office to check things out
I'll bet you your grandkids will remember their trackball experiences for the rest of their lives. Many of my permanent memories are of that age.

I've grabbed a bunch of Logitech wireless mice (meeces?) when the Staples office supply had them for around $10. I put them in the laptop bag, have one for the smart TV, and have a couple of spares in the drawer. I used to try to fix them, but its not worth the hassle anymore.

The other thing that seems to always go bad is the TV remote. The buttons get gummy inside and won't make contact. You have to disassemble them and clean the gunk off. Then they work for 6 months and you have to do it again. Universal remotes are fine except there's always a couple of functions that aren't on the universal.
My last Samsung remote was the victim of me continually dropping it on a hard floor. The circuit board (or whatever) got so loose that pushing many of the buttons produced no response. I know what you mean about the universal units, usually only the Power, Channel, Pre-Ch, Volume and numerals are available. My last replacement was a copy of my Samsung and it looks and works in an identical manner.

...For my main PC I use a kensington track ball...weird to get used to but once you are used to it most other mice are rat shit...just my personal opinion.
Just got one of these.. thanks for the recommendation ;) Amazon.com: Kensington Orbit Trackball Mouse with Scroll Ring (K72337US): Electronics

The only thing I haven't quite mastered is the quick highlighting of text. It's coming..

The scroll ring is a thing of beauty in operation. The left/right buttons seem to know what I'm going to do before I do it and.. well.. I like that!

We're havin' fun fun fun now that daddy took the dead mouse away :guitar:

Reactions: TAE
Just got one of these.. thanks for the recommendation ;)

71fY4w2rMRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Oh damn that's a purdy one....I gotz a substantially older one but it is quite the sweet little baller....

It looks exactly like this but the ball is sparkly dark grey...On the highlighting of text pretty easy just set the cursor where you want to highlight, press cntrl and roll it over what you want to highlight...then right click copy n paste or cut BAM!

81G48dhhQML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Oh yeah just a note on these most awesome mice...They do require that you lift that ball out @ every 6 months or so and dust out...or the track ball starts getting a little weird... Mine is going on about 5 years and clicking right along.

I'm trying something a bit geeky.. I just got a new pair of sunglasses and they included a small wipe cloth (5x5). I'm draping the cloth over the ball when not in use - to keep the dust out. I have no idea if this will extend that cleaning period, so it's just an experiment at this time.

5 years... that's encouraging. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm trying something a bit geeky.. I just got a new pair of sunglasses and they included a small wipe cloth (5x5). I'm draping the cloth over the ball when not in use - to keep the dust out. I have no idea if this will extend that cleaning period, so it's just an experiment at this time.

5 years... that's encouraging. I'm looking forward to it.

It will still get oil and dirt from your hand. You will see after a time that oil will build up. So it is not only the dust. Just FYI.

Back