Does Your Birth Certificate Work?

spantini

COO of me, inc.
Several months ago I needed to renew my driver's license, which is good for 8 years. One year prior, notices were sent out informing people of new procedures and required documentation. One requirement was a birth record. Not a birth certificate... a birth record. Well that put a knot in my stomach because the only record I had was my actual birth certificate. I had to go online to a special department, give them all my security information and make a Visa payment to get a national security-checked and validated birth record.

Then I figured out the DMV only wants to see that new stuff from people when they come in person to renew or apply for new licenses and registrations. I renewed mine online with no need to supply the new documentation. At least I'll have the new document if needed in the future.

So basically, my birth certificate ain't worth diddly squat now.

It's a brave new world..

I don't think that that is the case. A birth record is, I believe, the equivalent of the old 'birth extract', i.e. a document that certifies that a certificate actually exists. There are likely to be other agencies that will require the actual birth certificate.

This is probably part of the federal mandate to be able to use a drivers license for taking flights. My state has always used each county's local officials to issue a drivers license. Because it wasn't controlled by the state, it would not be allowed as a valid ID for boarding a plane after October (I think that has been pushed back to 2021 by Covid). So now, we can either get the standard drivers license and use a passport to board a plane, visit a military base, or enter a federal building, or get a "RealID" version that has been verified with at least 2 forms of identification (like a passport and SS card) and proof of residency.

I've got copies of my birth certificate in a fire safe downstairs. Its even got my footprint on it, although my foot is a lot bigger now!

yeah I think its all about the new rules, if you want to fly...
Effective October 1, 2021, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security will require that all persons who plan to travel by air have a REAL ID compliant card. This includes a valid U.S. Passport or a Driver License or Identification Card with a REAL ID compliant indicator of a star in the upper right hand corner of the card. If you do not have a REAL ID compliant indicator on your card and want one, please check your eligibility to renew online or request a duplicate online.

add> i signed up for this, per the letter I got in the mail...in Texas it says have a Birth Certificate and other crap... COVID rules are to make an appointment, no long lines...(Ive heard its actually better with this method...)

Last edited:
When I renewed my driver's license a year ago...I went for the full boat and got the "enhanced" version (or whatever it's called) that has the USA flag on it...which is the one that lets you board domestic flights, and even go across the boarder into Canada without a passport (not that I'm planning)...but then, at the same time, I also renewed my old passport, which had expired like 20 some years ago.
I thought the passport was going to be a real problem because it was so long ago that it had expired...but nope, they renewed took the old one and it was good enough to get a new one.

I wasn't planning do to any travel...but I figured I might as well get all my ID's sorted out since things are getting more and more security focused.

Try being in the UK! We use the term 'Birth Cerificate' when every one actually says 'Copy of the Birth Certificate'. Always been this way, and mine actually said 'Certificate of adoptive Birth', why youngsters in authority may never have heard of. One demanded my 'real' birth certificate. This annoyed me greatly as I don't have it and adoptive kids here NEVER have the biological parents name or details. For people born before 1970, their court records were sealed, intended to NEVER be made available, but the law softened. You could apply to have your records unsealed. This created real problems though. The birth parents were told their details would be private and secret for ever. After 1970 they were told they could be given if the child requested them once they were 18. What a mess. My adoptive mum and dad were the only parents I had know and I'm really lucky they adopted me - I had a great life. Sadly, they passed away and I applied to the court for access. Part of the deal for us pre-70 people was that we had to have counselling, something I resented, but did - only to find it useful. I was warned the lovely tales on TV are actually quite rare, and not to expect a warm welcome. I was warned that social workers knowing the records were sealed may have been very candid and not er, as sanitised as modern records are because they can be accessed. It took many month for them to be found. Turns out my dad was an American serving in the UK in the USAF. even stranger, I was the second child he had, and I have a full blown brother living in the US. However, I've been unable to make contact. The USAF told me dad had died in the early 2000's and gave me the grave details for where he's buried. All in about 4 hours! Pretty impressive. They gave me his service number and I tracked him down by a veterans group to a special services unit. Conjuring up ideas of spys and agents. He was in the band! At the time he had me and my brother however, he was married to somebody in the US. He later divorced and married my real mother. I believe I found his brother in the US who appears to be a MD. I called and had the phone slammed down on me. "My brother did NOT have any goddamn children in the UK he was happily married". Oops - the social worker was right.

That's pretty much it - I gave up searching, obviously it causes issues - because maybe he never told his family in the US about the UK family? I don't know.

So when people ask for my birth certificate, I still use the copy us Brits all have. Here, even death certificates are actually copies. Nobody has the real one.

I guess this makes me American in part. I could probably apply for US citizenship? wow!

My actual Certificate of Birth supplied by the hospital with all my fingers and toesies printed on it was quite large with several folds and a big Gold Star Ribbon, like a prize at the fair. I also obtained a birth certificate copy which is much smaller and contains text only. Now the Birth Record has been added to my collection but it's a very sloppy copy which is nearly illegible in some spots - like that 688 User's Manual floating about online.

I guess I have been grandfathered in as my driver's license has the Star on it without having to present up to date docs.

A side note : My whole life, whenever applying for a job, my Social Security number was required. Amazingly, all I ever needed to do was write it on an application or verbally communicate it to an interviewer - I was never asked to display my actual card (the proper legal procedure, I believe). Until, that is, when applying for my last job, from which I am now retired. The interviewer requested my SS# and I rattled it off... she refused to accept it, told me to produce my actual card. I had lost it 30+ years ago at the bottom of the Potomac River in Washington, D.C. during the Great Raft Race. She was kind enough to hire me providing I produced a card or documentation of proof within 30 days. YAY! :D

So when people ask for my birth certificate, I still use the copy us Brits all have. Here, even death certificates are actually copies. Nobody has the real one.
I used to have the original copy of my birth certificate from 1963. I remember really liking the registrar's handwriting. Real fountain pen ink, too.

whenever applying for a job, my Social Security number was required. Amazingly, all I ever needed to do was write it on an application or verbally communicate it to an interviewer - I was never asked to display my actual card (the proper legal procedure, I believe)
It's funny that, it's the same for me with what we call our national insurance number. I actually have my national insurance card but I've never used it or shown it to anyone. I know the number and have done since 1981 but no one has ever asked me to actually see it !

I used to have the original copy of my birth certificate from 1963. I remember really liking the registrar's handwriting. Real fountain pen ink, too.

It's funny that, it's the same for me with what we call our national insurance number. I actually have my national insurance card but I've never used it or shown it to anyone. I know the number and have done since 1981 but no one has ever asked me to actually see it !

Dudley Road Hospital :thumbs up:

The fathers occupation listed on those old birth certificates are amazing as well as the fancy writing I think

I just saw a news spot on TV about a woman here in Florida who laid out $3000 for a sea cruise and was turned away as she attempted to board ship.

She had all kinds of documentation for identification, including her original hospital issued Birth Certificate - looked just like my original hospital issued Birth Certificate as mentioned above. It was this Birth Certificate which was refused at the boarding gate.

The fine print in the cruise paperwork specifically states that document will not be accepted because... "it is not a a State issued document. It is merely a 'decorative' piece of paper" provided by the hospital for personal family records - something to show off or otherwise display.

Well, that explains why my Certificate was not acceptable. Oddly though, when I was 12 years old, I flew out to California to spend the summer with my aunt and uncle in Glendale. My uncle had my mom pack my original hospital Birth Certificate because we were going to go trekking into Baja for a week or so and we would need that document to obtain the paperwork to cross the border and return. So, it was a valid official document way back then but no longer.

The woman in the above news story said she's been trying to get her $3000 back from the cruise line but they have not responded.

Several months ago I needed to renew my driver's license, which is good for 8 years. One year prior, notices were sent out informing people of new procedures and required documentation. One requirement was a birth record. Not a birth certificate... a birth record. Well that put a knot in my stomach because the only record I had was my actual birth certificate. I had to go online to a special department, give them all my security information and make a Visa payment to get a national security-checked and validated birth record.

Then I figured out the DMV only wants to see that new stuff from people when they come in person to renew or apply for new licenses and registrations. I renewed mine online with no need to supply the new documentation. At least I'll have the new document if needed in the future.

It's a brave new world..
Same. In a little over 3 years l will be 70 and what l called my birth certificate is worthless. Renewed my TDL online during the Covid and got it in the mail no problem. Didn't bother going thru what you did, so if l ever need that paper it's over.

I just saw a news spot on TV about a woman here in Florida who laid out $3000 for a sea cruise and was turned away as she attempted to board ship.

She had all kinds of documentation for identification, including her original hospital issued Birth Certificate - looked just like my original hospital issued Birth Certificate as mentioned above. It was this Birth Certificate which was refused at the boarding gate.

The fine print in the cruise paperwork specifically states that document will not be accepted because... "it is not a a State issued document. It is merely a 'decorative' piece of paper" provided by the hospital for personal family records - something to show off or otherwise display.

Well, that explains why my Certificate was not acceptable. Oddly though, when I was 12 years old, I flew out to California to spend the summer with my aunt and uncle in Glendale. My uncle had my mom pack my original hospital Birth Certificate because we were going to go trekking into Baja for a week or so and we would need that document to obtain the paperwork to cross the border and return. So, it was a valid official document way back then but no longer.

The woman in the above news story said she's been trying to get her $3000 back from the cruise line but they have not responded.
When l go into Mexico l don't even bother. I just tell the taxi driver to stay in the left lane crossing the border and drop me anywhere in Tijuana. If you take the right bus you can get to Los Cabos without a piece of paper one. Should l get asked at a checkpoint l simply say it was stolen in TJ. How much is my fine? Pay $200 pesos and give an the officer an extra $100 and tell him that is for him to file for me.

Going back into SD l simply show my Veteran ID and Cali ID. They pretty much have to let you back in.

I'm French Acadian and it was a common practice way back then to fill out birth certificates "Saint Name", "Father's Name", "Given Name" and "Sir Name. So legally my first name is Joseph at least from my birth certificate. Here's the thing. I've never been called Joseph. None of my medical records from birth. I was registered for school in my Given name, middle then last name. When it came time to get a work permit at 15, I needed a social security number and a work permit. I take my birth certificate to the social security office, fill out the application and explain the whole name thing. They give me a form to fill out. Done.

Weeks later I get a social security card in what I think is my legal name. I went to school, got jobs, have a credit history and even gone through federal background checks. Never an issue. Until I needed to renew my license with the "Real ID". I go to social security and ask, hey, what's up, my name has always been this? They said, oh, we have that listed as an alias for you. I told the woman, it's not even a cool sounding one. Long and short, turns out I had to petition the court to legally change my name or get my new ID as Joseph.

I am at dinner shortly after I petition the court with a good friend I've known for nearly 50 years, and as we are catching up, I explain all that has been going on. When he finds out my legal name all along has really been Joseph, he shouts out Joey! Later, unknown to me, he told the waitress that it's Joey's birthday and asked if they could bring a cake and sing happy birthday. Later that evening we find out the waitress is studying to be a paralegal. I sort of explained the situation to her, made sure she got a good tip and told her once I get the court order for the name change, we'd be back for Joey's funeral.

Joey, I hardly knew you. RIP

When l go into Mexico l don't even bother. I just tell the taxi driver to stay in the left lane crossing the border and drop me anywhere in Tijuana. If you take the right bus you can get to Los Cabos without a piece of paper one. Should l get asked at a checkpoint l simply say it was stolen in TJ. How much is my fine? Pay $200 pesos and give an the officer an extra $100 and tell him that is for him to file for me.

Going back into SD l simply show my Veteran ID and Cali ID. They pretty much have to let you back in.
It took about 20 minutes to get the Real ID. And an hour to get a passport. You old timers are weird.

It took about 20 minutes to get the Real ID. And an hour to get a passport. You old timers are weird.
Ha ha we are, but we get things done. My dad pulled a lot of stunts in his day, born 1921 when papers were for manipulating a situation. Like the other fellow, all l have is a hospital issued birth certificate, and it's fake. I have never had a state issued birth certificate.

In 1975 my band got signed to Mercury Records, but if you were under 21 a parent had to sign the record contract. My dad refused. He then took me to a Navy recruiting office, at gun point, and said your going on tour alright, but it won't be playing music. He then said you will thank me later because you will get a DD-214 out of this which will establish your US citizenship. Otherwise if your coming back from Mexico you could be denied entry, because you have no legal documentation. And this was true, but he has me enlist under his stepdads name of Stubbs. His stepdad was Frank Levi Stubbs, and his half brother was Levi Stubbs of the Four Tops band. Long story but ever since nobody has figured out if my real name is Sheffield or Stubbs on my driver's license or anything else. I had to go to court to fix that and get Stubbs off my name, but the court reporter screwed it up and the name change was not done in the final order. It has been a nightmare ever since. Especially since the Stubbs family is Not what you would call Caucasian.

Anyway l was denied my Real ID because none of my paperwork l have adds up. Being one to not let that stop me, l figured out other ways to get things done, lol.

I had no problems getting my RealID. I had a Passport, a couple of proofs of residency in the state, and my SS card. It took about 30 minutes, but because the state was just implementing the process, I ended up driving 50 miles to get it done. That wasn't a problem, that license branch was in the town where I worked for the last nine years before retiring, so I went in, got my 8 years license, and then went by the old plant to visit for a few hours, and had lunch with a few of the guys. I even spent some time showing a fellow how to run a piece of equipment.

Sometimes it's a good thing to be a plain vanilla-nobody special common folk type of guy!

I had no problems getting my RealID. I had a Passport, a couple of proofs of residency in the state, and my SS card. It took about 30 minutes, but because the state was just implementing the process, I ended up driving 50 miles to get it done. That wasn't a problem, that license branch was in the town where I worked for the last nine years before retiring, so I went in, got my 8 years license, and then went by the old plant to visit for a few hours, and had lunch with a few of the guys. I even spent some time showing a fellow how to run a piece of equipment.

Sometimes it's a good thing to be a plain vanilla-nobody special common folk type of guy!
I have never had a passport because l kind of never needed one. I tried to get a passport in the 90's and was denied. Then my friend/boss who is a lawyer tried to help me get a passport in 2011 and said they aren't going to do it. Gave no reason. My DD-214 is good but they screwed up my California driver's license so they didn't match up. I was told to fix it l would need to go to court again. Which l was because l wanted to visit my cousins in Germany. But the EU turned into a Police State this year, and they moved to Mexico. I have been going back and forth to Mexico my whole life without papers. Why start now?

In 1975 my band got signed to Mercury Records
You don't say. I assume that was before all your gear was stolen and you moved out of California which you haven't told us all about today. Yet.

but if you were under 21 a parent had to sign the record contract.
That's ridiculous and cannot be true. I signed a a deal with label much, much bigger than Mercury at 19. We're adults at 18. Why would a parent have anything to do with that?

Back