Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital cable TV.. Ugh..

Thanks

Digital cable TV.. Ugh..

Sign in to disable this ad
    Several days ago, I received a letter from my cable/ISP. Says they're going full digital in a couple of weeks and anyone who's got their cable
    going from the wall outlet straight into the back of their TV will no longer receive a watchable signal. A digital box must be installed to continue
    watching cable TV.

This is great for 1 or 2 reasons, and terrible for many more reasons.

They're supplying the box at no charge for the first 12 months - after that it's.. ? some extra charge per month.

I am getting excellent HD TV images.

I am no longer receiving one of my favorite channels - with the restructuring of tiers, it's been bumped from the "basic" level
    to Tier 1 and now will cost an extra $12/mo.

I am receiving many more channels in my basic service now, but I have no interest in 98% of them. Moving up to Tier 1 to get my favorite channel
    would add a slew more channels I have no interest in - for $12/mo extra.

I see some major cord cutting in my future via some yet to be determined streaming service, which can deliver a lot of what I want
    to watch along with the favorite channel I no longer have for $30/mo. I can stream via my PC and Phone and use my TV to cast to from
    my phone.
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

Thanks
    I switched to an OTT service nearly 2 years ago (Playstation Vue). Generally I’m pretty happy with it. I also tried YouTube TV for a couple months, but then switched back to Vue.

There are others, such as Hulu, DirecTV Now, Sling, etc. And they all have their pluses and minuses.

They will save you money over cable, but they provide a cable-like experience, not a cable experience.

First you need to determine which channels you absolutely need and see which services offer them. For example, depending on where you live, you may or may not get all your local channels from sone services. Or, another ex., Vue does not have any of the Viacom channels. And they may or may not have your regional sports network, if that’s important to you.

Also you will need a device to accept the stream. Not all services work on all devices. Youtube TV does not work on any Amazon devices (Fire TV) because Google and Amazon are at war. Some services work on certain smart TVs, but most do not work on all smart TVs.

The streaming devices are relatively cheap ($40-$60), and it sure beats paying for a cable box every month until infinity.

And of course your cable company is likely to jack up your price for internet service - since you no longer qualify for their double or triple play discounts.

Still, I figure I’m saving about $50 a month versus what I be paying my cable company. I already had a streaming device for Netflix, but I had to buy a second one for my bedroom. The first month’s savings paid for that, though.

Most of the savings actually come from equipment rental fees. Two boxes at $9/month each, plus $15 for DVR service is $33 alone. Sony includes their (unlimited) DVR in the price for their service. Some of others either don’t have a DVR, or charge extra for higher capacity. I record EVERYTHING I watch (except sports) so that was important to me.

As I said, it’s cable-like, but not cable. You can’t delete recordings after you watch them (they just go away after 28 days). You can’t easily channel surf. Some OTT services have a very limited guide. For ex., Youtube TV only shows you the next 2-3 hours of programming in their guide, not a full week like cable. And most OTTs only broadcast in stereo, not surround, shoukd you happen to have a home theater system.

Anyway that’s some of my experience. I would do it again, but I don’t have a wife complaining about how difficult it is to use. . Be glad to answer any questions if I can.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dachay2tnr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Free TV

I only have broadcast TV. It has its advantages:
    1. It is free
    2. We get 20+ channels
    The rest of my TV viewing is supplied by Netflix and YouTube.
    “Clap for the Wolfman, he gonna rate your record high”

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Illsidgus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I got cable for my Internet...but I've been on Dish Network for about 18-19 years now.
    It's not perfect, but way more programming than cable. ...not that I watch a lot of TV, but it's less of a hassle than cable TV, IMO.
    When I first bought my house...I tried to go cable, and they had an attitude about running the line to the house...and their programming was a smaller package.
    A couple of years ago the cable company changed hands (TWC to Spectrum)...so I called, and they ran the cable no problem for my Internet, and they keep sending me offers to try the TV and their streaming...but I'm staying with Dish for now. I can still watch TV during power outages since I have a huge permanent generator...and if the cable Internet goes out, I still my old DSL Internet too, as a back up.
    With going all-cable...I would lose everything during a power outage...plus some people run their phones off the cable...so you lose that too.

Anyway....yeah, those digital conversion boxes are free at first, then it's like maybe $5 per month later on. Once they program it in for you...don't disconnect the box or remove it from power for too long...it will lose the programming, and then you have to call them back to fix it. That's how it was on the cable TVs at my day gig that are used by the public, that used the conversion boxes....I had to call them back twice, and after that, I just let them go, it wasn't my job to worry about the TV...it was only because I had the direct lines to the tech due to our cable network stuff.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to miroslav For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Illsidgus View Post
    I only have broadcast TV. It has its advantages:
    1. It is free
    2. We get 20+ channels
    The rest of my TV viewing is supplied by Netflix and YouTube.
    I've been thinking about going that route at some point...because I just don't watch that much TV...and when I do, it's mostly to catch a movie at the end of the night...but, when my mother is here visiting, she likes to surf channels, so I leave things as is for now.

Thanks
    Cut the cable and phone cord many years ago...

OTT gives us a ton of stuff which we manage and record with TIVO (Lifetime service) WE have a Vizio HD TV with Chromecast built in so I can "cast" anything I find on the internet via my browser...pretty cool... there in really nothing out there in the world that we can't watch if we want..we share a Hulu and Netflix account and have Amazon prime..Can't stomach paying for HBO , Showtime or the likes...

Antennae on the roof...Tivo (which is not only a DVR but a interface for Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, YOutube and several other "apps" and lastly Chromecast ...The Tivo is a one time payment but I've found myself upgrading to the latest greatest TIVO @ every 5 or 6 years @ $600 that includes "lifetime Tivo service" that then averages out to @ $100 a year...With the HULU and Netflix shared account @ $100 a year and Amazon account is $120 annually so for @ $320 a year / $27 a month we have a pretty broad A/V all you can manage to watch buffet...

OH YEAH PHONE! Yeah I know landlines are so yesterdays news...shit we have fios 50/50 why not? We were able to port our 30 year old home phone number that was costing me @ $35 a month with Vonage to this and it's FRICKING FREE! YEAH BUDDY>>>

OBIWANKANOBI! OBIHAI OBi200 for @ $50 google voice FREE landline for all U.S. calls ( small fee for international ) with amazing call forwarding, voicemail, call filtering..we have ours set so that anyone we don't know must state their name before it will ring and we have the option ( if they say their name) to take the call or send it to voicemail...AWESOME 99% of telemarketers hang up...the other asshats get sent to voicemail...and it's all FREE after the obi 200 $50 buy in...

81kjn4afjil-_sl1500_-jpg
    Last edited by TAE; 08-29-2018 at 14:00.
    Tomco Audio Electric ( TAE )

Creating audible vibrations to stimulate and entertain mankind and other small cave dwelling furry animals.

"The secret to a long life is to live a long time" .... "You can quote me on that" TAE

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TAE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TAE View Post
    Cut the cable and phone cord many years ago...

OH YEAH PHONE! Yeah I know landlines are so yesterdays news...shit we have fios 50/50 why not? We were able to port our 30 year old home phone number that was costing me @ $35 a month with Vonage to this and it's FRICKING FREE! YEAH BUDDY>>>

OBIWANKANOBI! OBIHAI OBi200 for @ $50 google voice FREE landline for all U.S. calls...
    So then...if you cut the phone cord and gave up your landline...how's Google Voice on a landline...?

I'll never give up my landline phone. It usually keeps working when everything else stops...and it also gives me my DSL network backup, which is basically free at this point.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    So then...if you cut the phone cord and gave up your landline...how's Google Voice on a landline...?

I'll never give up my landline phone. It usually keeps working when everything else stops...and it also gives me my DSL network backup, which is basically free at this point.
    The obi 200 is an adapter for landline phones...very similar to Vonage but without the monthly payment..Like you we we have had our landline # for over 30 years and not giving it up anytime in the near future...Verizon was killing me with the home business lines @ $150 a month ..@ 2001 I switched to vonage which started out at $25 which at the time was a God send..slowly trickled up to breaking $40 a month...I beta tested the Obi110 @ 2009 for a few months and was VERY satisfied with the service ...9 years now with Obi and NO COMPLAINTS long as I have internet I have a landline so far with FIOS 100% on now going on 3 years ...knock on wood... My Verizon landline went down more often than Vonage and now Google voice. both VOIP's ..and freeking Google voice once you figure out how to manage the settings ( I like the old control panel and still use it) it is WAY more powerful with regard to call filtering....
    Tomco Audio Electric ( TAE )

Creating audible vibrations to stimulate and entertain mankind and other small cave dwelling furry animals.

"The secret to a long life is to live a long time" .... "You can quote me on that" TAE

Thanks
    Wow, they're slow in Florida.
    We went full digital here 7 or 8 years ago. Big converter box in hte living room has never been free, but they gave 2 free cheapo converters (don't get all the channels) for other tvs - after 2 years, they started charging $5 each for them. Recently had to upgrade all the converters, the new small ones now get more channels, (but still not all).
    The 'tier' thing has been a cable racket for years. I've got at least 200 channels I would never watch in a million years - channels that do nothing but broadcast 'hit music' of all types, channels for nothing but golf, tennis, horse racing, etc.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mjbphotos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm streaming more and more on my phone. The hardest part about cutting the cord, for me anyway, is the mental thing. I've been raised
    on TVs and it's like.. altered my genes. Changing the lifetime habit of picking up the remote and instantly watching TV. It just feels
    weird a little bit. I think once I get a streaming dongle, stick or box for my TV, or a smart TV, it won't be so bad. It seems to be
    mainly associated with physically using the TV - not the content, really.

I'm not up on this, but I believe Florida has been in the process of going full digital for many years. It's just since Spectrum bought
    out Brighthouse that it's implementation has been accelerated - in our area, anyway.

I'm paying $39.99 for cable internet (no other services). My (free basic) cable is provided with the apartment, but now I've got the
    required box. I'll be relocating around the end of the year and will wait till then to line up all these cord-cutting services.

Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    ... Once they program it in for you...don't disconnect the box or remove it from power for too long...it will lose the programming, and then you have to call them back to fix it. That's how it was on the cable TVs at my day gig that are used by the public, that used the conversion boxes....I had to call them back twice, and after that, I just let them go...
    LOL! I actually got this box several months ago when I ordered my cable internet. I had no idea they were fast-tracking this conversion, and the tech showed up with my cable modem and THE BOX. I told him I didn't order it and he said it's required now so I just shut up until he left. First thing I did was check my favorite channels and found my favorite no longer available (bumped to next level), so I disconnected it and ran the cable straight in again. Well, that signal is only available until Sept 11 (coincidence..?!) so I gave in and re-connected the box.

Oh No! It didn't work! (as you said ). I called their support and the nice lady walked me through the set-up and it's fine now.
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

Thread Information