The Defiant Ones on HBO

easlern

Boredom artist
This is a new miniseries about Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre, a couple guys who started as artists/engineers and went on to found the beats brand. I was pretty surprised by Dre as an engineer/producer, I didn't picture him as the typical nerd drooling over gear and slaving over mixes all night. There's a point at the end of the series where he's home recording, going back and forth between a computer and a mic like I imagine we all do on here. It's pretty funny seeing someone so successful futz with the mouse and mess up lines like anybody doing this as a hobby.

The documentary's really entertaining. I ended up with mixed feelings about the people involved though, it goes into a lot of interscope/death row's history and it's not terribly flattering.

This is a new miniseries about Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre, a couple guys who started as artists/engineers and went on to found the beats brand. I was pretty surprised by Dre as an engineer/producer, I didn't picture him as the typical nerd drooling over gear and slaving over mixes all night. There's a point at the end of the series where he's home recording, going back and forth between a computer and a mic like I imagine we all do on here. It's pretty funny seeing someone so successful futz with the mouse and mess up lines like anybody doing this as a hobby.

The documentary's really entertaining. I ended up with mixed feelings about the people involved though, it goes into a lot of interscope/death row's history and it's not terribly flattering.

hmmm... sounds pretty cool. I've imagined him sitting behind a mixing desk and often wondered how talented they are at mixing on their own, and how they got to that level, whatever it may be. I'll check it out sometime. thnx

Yeah, I assumed since Dre and crew were all DIY basically (they apparently just bought a bunch of equipment and winged it) they might need outside engineers to help. But apparently Dre recorded and mixed their albums himself.

Back