DAW Users With ADD

what an upset weekend...49ers too now 8-1....

Patriots, 49er's Seahawks , Packers ...hold the 8's

Vikings, Saints, Ravens with 7's....

NFC East seems to be Wild Card material at best...Cowboys looking like 9-7 season..maybe 8-8...people will still spend $500 for a bad seat, bad game..blah season again. At best a spoiler team in the PlayOffs knocking some better team out with a abnormally good day amongst the inconsistency.

Oh well... the Radial JDI and JoeMeek VC3 gold label arrived, something more fun to do.

Bought myself an early Christmas present - a 65” UHD TV (I was a good boy this year :) ).

Like I really needed another thing to distract me from practicing the guitar. :rolleyes: :(

Bought myself an early Christmas present - a 65” UHD TV (I was a good boy this year :) ).

Like I really needed another thing to distract me from practicing the guitar. :rolleyes: :(

Man, the prices are so low i've been tempted to pick one up just for the upstairs, even though I don't need it!

The fight at the end of the Steelers/ Browns game was wild. Let's hope they can get control of this problem quickly.

Man, the prices are so low i've been tempted to pick one up just for the upstairs, even though I don't need it!
Yeah, I didn’t need it either, lol. But I’m old and have so few things left to enjoy. :D

The fight at the end of the Steelers/ Browns game was wild. Let's hope they can get control of this problem quickly.
Pretty ridiculous whacking some guy on the head with his own helmet. Not sure suspension for the rest of the year is enough. I’d vote for a lifetime ban.

65" is huge, my brother has the 65 and its gigantic. Prices are so good these days I hear...

I was kind of in the TV biz for a few years pre2005, when TI made the DLP technology HDTV's...it was a Haleys' Comet of a cool mems device, but there was no competing with LCD technology obviously. I think the DLP TV's were $12,000 then breakthroughs in mfg got it under $3k and sales took off but died...LCD was just better and cheaper and better reliability...so the big customers like Samsung and others went LCD and dropped the DLP tv lines. DLP was kind of like Mini-Disc or ADAT Tape was to Recording pre-DAW era .lol

All I have now for audio is a soundbar....recently cut the cable, removed the DVD players/audio surround speakers, now its all Streaming and Netflix , AmazonPrime No Commericals!!...(and Free Digital TV "air" antenna for Football and Weather news). (gadwaful amount of commercials)

...98% of the time Streaming Netflix or Amazon, no commercials has ruined normal-tv for me. A person doesnt know how bad the bombardment of commercials is until you get away from it for a year or two...wow?

65" is huge, my brother has the 65 and its gigantic. Prices are so good these days I hear...

I was kind of in the TV biz for a few years pre2005, when TI made the DLP technology HDTV's...it was a Haleys' Comet of a cool mems device, but there was no competing with LCD technology obviously. I think the DLP TV's were $12,000 then breakthroughs in mfg got it under $3k and sales took off but died...LCD was just better and cheaper and better reliability...so the big customers like Samsung and others went LCD and dropped the DLP tv lines. DLP was kind of like Mini-Disc or ADAT Tape was to Recording pre-DAW era .lol

All I have now for audio is a soundbar....recently cut the cable, removed the DVD players/audio surround speakers, now its all Streaming and Netflix , AmazonPrime No Commericals!!...(and Free Digital TV "air" antenna for Football and Weather news). (gadwaful amount of commercials)

...98% of the time Streaming Netflix or Amazon, no commercials has ruined normal-tv for me. A person doesnt know how bad the bombardment of commercials is until you get away from it for a year or two...wow?
I had a friend who had a DLP TV. Bulb kept burning out in it every couple of years and was like $300 or so to replace. He finally dumped it. These days you can get the whole TV for $300, lol.

I also do a lot of streaming as well, but for regular tv I just use a DVR. Record the program and FF right thru the commercials. The only time I see commercials is during sports. Theoretically I could record the event and start watching it like a half hour late. You can FF the commercials and end up finishing about the same time the “live” game finishes. But I have friends and relatives who will text me during the game and spoil it - so I watch live... with commercials. :(

exactly right.

add some more the whole thing was magic, million mirrors moving, a spinning frkn color wheel of red,blue,green and a bulb..and HDTV and Cinema clarity.
in the beginning of DLPTV only the Speilbergs and others could even afford them, the goal to reduce price and mass market was a large task, the big players of DLP TV were all betting on all the technologys so Sony, Samsung Mitsubishi etc.. eventually the market is driven overtime and $400 bulbs to replace wasn't going to fly for the WalMart and Best Buy folks...and the pictures were all so great, Plasma, LCD,LED,DLP, and others...
I zipped out from all that when the Executive order from the customer (mainly Samsung) was to stop research on Quality and focus all resources on Cost Reduction of the parts...well that means one thing to me, offshoring the factory and luckily I ran into an old boss and he was looking for some horsepower for a more US permanent job, so that's when I jumped that ship. The cost alone didn't save DLP TV though due to the bulb issue and other overwhelming competition as you said frkn 65" for $300?!!!! no bulb $300 replacement needed ….some nontechnical people paid techs to install the bulb making it more expensive.

Technologys are funny...I loved MiniDiscs personally, but that horse died too.

Last edited:

I do the regular tv on dvr for the most part but i actually like the commercials so i can sit with a guitar in my hands and mute them while i play. It's the best way to get some playing time when i'm too tired to practice and i often come up with stuff that gets recorded on the laptop in the next commercial break!

In the late 80's I was changing careers and had to work in a warehouse at night to supplement my income. I would move large appliances to be delivered the next day. Refrigerators, washers, dryers, etc. The hardest thing to move were the rear projection big screens, the came packed on their own pallets. Shitty shit if there ever was, if you weren't directly in front of the screen, it was a blurry mess. I'm guessing I could pick up Dachay2tnr's 65" with one hand.

Next time a youngster tells you how good we had it in the old days, make them watch the sports on a 19" CRT, that'll put them in their place.

we got to move these refrigerators, we got to move these color tv.eeeeeeee's....

money-for nothing..
I saw on a old docu showed that Sting actually sang the intro to that Dire Straits song. Weird story... I want my, i want my mtv...

I dont really get the DVR thing, I guess for live tv. My brothers always complaining his is full. I just have streaming its always there to re-watch. Sure Im always a season behind, or a year behind, but Netflix and Amazon are making their own Originals so often there must be a BOOM Time in the film industry.... a lot of new jobs for actors I guess too. Netflix Making A Murderer and an ocean of docu's and indie stuff is amazingly good filming and the quality is as good as the big releases. Digital Cameras and Digital Editing I guess?

I had the chance/awareness to buy Netflix stock at $8....I thought at the time it had peaked out, max'd out and would go no higher. I didnt buy, now its at $320...$290 range....if I could only time travel.

In the late 80's I was changing careers and had to work in a warehouse at night to supplement my income. I would move large appliances to be delivered the next day. Refrigerators, washers, dryers, etc. The hardest thing to move were the rear projection big screens, the came packed on their own pallets. Shitty shit if there ever was, if you weren't directly in front of the screen, it was a blurry mess. I'm guessing I could pick up Dachay2tnr's 65" with one hand.

Next time a youngster tells you how good we had it in the old days, make them watch the sports on a 19" CRT, that'll put them in their place.
I had a rear projection TV. When I went shopping for a replacement I bought a new TV that I could have pretty easily thrown in the car and brought home myself. HOWEVER... I specifically made the store deliver it just because they offered to haul your old TV away. I don’t think the delivery guys were thrilled. Lol.

I dont really get the DVR thing, I guess for live tv. My brothers always complaining his is full. I just have streaming its always there to re-watch. Sure Im always a season behind, or a year behind, but Netflix and Amazon are making their own Originals so often there must be a BOOM Time in the film industry.... a lot of new jobs for actors I guess too. Netflix Making A Murderer and an ocean of docu's and indie stuff is amazingly good filming and the quality is as good as the big releases. Digital Cameras and Digital Editing I guess?
I actually get my live TV via streaming these days. I use Youtube TV, but there are 4-5 others available. Anyway, they offer an unlimited DVR. Record as many shows as your heart desires. The recordings are kept on their servers, so there’s no capacity issue (actually I’m pretty sure they just record one copy of everything, and then when you “schedule a recording” they simply grant you access to that recording).

It uses the same streaming boxes that you use for Netflix or Amazon, so no cable box rental fees either. Probably saves me at least $40-$50 a month. You just need decent internet speed.

I had the chance/awareness to buy Netflix stock at $8....I thought at the time it had peaked out, max'd out and would go no higher. I didnt buy, now its at $320...$290 range....if I could only time travel.

When the market crashed in '08 I increased my 401K contribution by $30 a week. If I could go back I would've maxed it out and been a lot closer to retirement. I feel so sorry for the people who cashed out.

I cut my cable 2-3 months ago and went AIR Free Antenna...

I saved $130 month, returning box and shutting down my "package". But then the 3rd month I noticed Spectrum raised the internet $4.
Probably making up for the revenue losses from the cable tv division.

Im looking for a possible better deal on internet but not much offered here but 4 services and they arent any cheaper.
One friend said theres a way to stream through his Smart Phone apps to his bluetooth TV thats the cheapest, I dont know.

Netflix keeps inching up, I think I started $9 month now its $17 ish.
Amazon Prime you get a lot of other things too like shipping and shopping, so I might drop NEtflix or share it with someone, I think we get three locations with Netflix? So shared it would be $5 a month....Im sure they'll close that door too soon.

Reminds me paying bills online the banks encouraged and started charging more for checks, then after the mass of people got over to online banking to save money the banks started charging "online banking convenience fees".

whatcha ya gunna do?

Cowboys take the Lions.
NFC EAST outlook seems to me, Eagles to have 4 wins coming, while the Cowboys only have 2 wins, for sure. They battle it out 12/22. Which might be the big game for both of them. Neither seem to be SuperBowl material.

NFC NORTH...Vikings pressure the Packers. They meet 12/23 which might be better than the SuperBowl.

Patriots win again...yawn...they meet the Cowboys 11/24
Ravens.... Seahawks... Saints.. 49ers...

Came across a Shure KSM 32, appears mint with case and candy for $270, about 50% off, should be flat...
Sold a few others, with profit deducted almost a free KSM32. :listeningmusic:

So been thinking about picking up a smart thermostat. Was waiting to see how the prices would be on Black Friday when I got an email from my utility. Buy it through them with a rebate at half the retail price. :thumbs up:

In fact the Nest E, which is the lower end Nest, can be had for about 75% below retail.

If anyone was thinking about one, worth looking into whether your utility supplier has a similar deal.

Im turning off my heat this year, best I can. Its a total waste really with 90% of the house now empty.
going "japan" and heating only the area Im at when Im in there. Shooting for a $75 bill on a 3010sqft home.
Cut the cable....cutting out bullshit thats not used.
Selling off gear to bare basics too and hopefully will enjoy playing instead of shopping....(though I just got a couple mics used)

UPS has me pissed today, a clusterF!%$# of a delivery and emails with wrong info coming to me and the calls to Customer Survice is basically someone in India trying to track a package.....

the best part of the Larry David Episode is when I finally just said "JUST HOLD IT AT A UPS STORE AND I WILL DRIVE TO YOU TO GET IT"

and they said theres a $5.50 charge for re-directing it. lol

The new thermostat is in and installed. One minor glitch, since resolved.

Whether it will be worth the investment is tbd. But the cool factor is :thumbs up:

We still turn the thermostat by hand. Are they really smart, or are you just lazy?:p

Big game for the Packers tonight. Playing for the lead spot in conference seedings. Alas. I don't think they'll win, they suck on west coast trips.

The Badgers have set themselves up for a big game next week as well. I don't think they'll be bringing home a win either.:(

Go Bucks!

Back