DAW Users With ADD

So? How’s the head today? :)

I had the old band over last night. We were pretty rusty, but not half bad considering we hadn’t played together in maybe 18 months. Several scotches were consumed by yours truly (it improves my playing). :guitar:

I paid for it today as I had to get up early today to go see my daughter’s play. (She’s a theater teacher for a middle school, and directs the annual musical.). Nothing like watching 10 and 12 year olds try to act and sing with a hangover. :(

I sucked last night and I didn't get as drunk as I was shooting for. The bartender sucked too.

Middle school is rough for concerts, plays and stuff. The high school stuff can actually be good depending on the circumstances.

March Mildness
It's been a very agreeable march, decent temps and the sun has been out most of the time. I'll take it.

LATER!!!

St Pattys day...Had a good Friday with the sons band warming up for the LongBeach Dub Allstars gang and a free shot of Jameson Whiskey...theres like 3 or 4 bars in this place and only the main had Guiness beer, so suffered through some regular ..finally had to have my Guiness...then left early because Im old and was fading, up at 4am so 10pm was late.

its like a great night when there isnt any technical issues....and this night there wasnt. Great weather, great sound...too short of time. The gear gremlins didnt show up until later I was told, when the headliners stopped playing and told the soundguys to fix the technical issues that arose or it was gig off, it got that bad.

Soundguys have it tough....when its a great gig, its because the band is magical!

when the amps blow out the sound guys get the poop dinner and ulcers.

TV
I ended up buying a 50" TV, anything bigger would've been a tight fit. I've been to people's houses where I thought the TV was too big for the room but YMMV. 4K-UHD, looks good and was reasonably priced. I just moved ten years forward technology wise.

Spring break
My son went with his friends to Nashville, he made it before I did. My wife of course had to stay up until she got a text saying he made it safely.

I should really travel more, but I'm so damn cheap and I feel like I always have something that needs to be done around the house.

The weather
We've been in a holding pattern of mild weather and we'll be getting a slight warm up this week. The trees and plants are starting to bud, but I'm still not putting my shovel away.

LATER!!!

TV
I ended up buying a 50" TV, anything bigger would've been a tight fit. I've been to people's houses where I thought the TV was too big for the room but YMMV. 4K-UHD, looks good and was reasonably priced. I just moved ten years forward technology wise.

Spring break
My son went with his friends to Nashville, he made it before I did. My wife of course had to stay up until she got a text saying he made it safely.

I should really travel more, but I'm so damn cheap and I feel like I always have something that needs to be done around the house.

The weather
We've been in a holding pattern of mild weather and we'll be getting a slight warm up this week. The trees and plants are starting to bud, but I'm still not putting my shovel away.

LATER!!!
50” is a decent size. My living room tv is only 46”. I would probably go to 55” if/when I replace it. It’s a plasma, about 5 years old. But I find these newer TVs, with all the bells and whistles, don’t last like the old ones. I had a 25” Panasonic console tv I bought in 1986. It was still going fine in 2016. But I couldn’t even give it away. :(. Seriously, I called a Goodwill, Salvation Army, no one wanted it. Even put it on Craigslist. Free... just come and get it. No takers.

Just goes to show. People will be on welfare and food stamps, but will still have a $700 smart phone and a flat screen tv. :D

Weather here has sucked. Four nor’easters in a row. Last one dumped about a foot of snow on us. Fortunately the weather’s been mostly in the 40s, so it melts off pretty fast. But I’m ready for spring.

I was initially going to get a 55", but our TV stand is a triangle corner piece and we were limited on what would work. It seems after 55" prices jump.
It seems after 55” it jumps to 65”, and imo that would be too big for my room. The room is somewhat long and narrow (maybe 18’ x 11.5’), and the tv is placed along the long wall. So you’re maybe only 9’ or 10’ away when watching it. A 65” tv might work if I used the length of the room, but the furniture wouldn’t really fit well that way.

Biggest flaw of new TV?
The speakers suck.
I don’t even use my tv’s speakers. They’re turned off. I pretty much went the home theater route. Dumped my old hifi stereo system, but salvaged the speakers (decent Polk Audios). Got a new a/v receiver. Connected the Polk Audios to it. Run everything directly into the receiver (cable box, cd/dvd player, Roku, etc), and then run video out from the receiver to the TV. Receiver handles all the audio, and passes the video to the TV (via an hdmi cable). The receiver will handle surround sound, but I never invested in additional speakers. Everything is in stereo only.

So this now handles all my needs. Music and TV. I did lose the ability to play vinyl in the process. Although I could connect my old turntable to this using a preamp, there’s really no physical space for it. I’d have to put it inside a cabinet, which isn’t really conducive to changing vinyl discs.

And mp3s and Pandora are so much more convenient anyway. :)

If you don’t want to go that route, you could pick up a sound bar. Run a cable from the tv to the sound bar, and turn off the tv speakers. Probably cheaper than a receiver and speakers, although sound bars can run from $50 to probably $1000 or more. Would certainly upgrade the sound though.

Have my Bose hooked up to my surround receiver. When watching a movie it is hard to hear the voices/dialog. Turn it up so I can hear the voices and the esplosions get real esplodey. Need a center speaker to help resolve the issue.

Resisted a cell phone until I finally got one. Resisted switch from a flip phone to smart phone until I couldn't get a battery for my old phone, stopped making them, or so they claimed. Now I have a $600 theft or damage magnet that I carry around, and pretty much use exclusively as a.....phone. Land line is long gone, but the number still remains handy as password or whatever to receive discounts at the grocery and pharmacy.

Went out of town for a little over a week. Went to bed the night before I left to come home with my Taylor in the case. Woke up the next morning to find my Taylor laying on the couch half on top of my nephew's Taylor like so much chord wood. Gave it a once over, don't think it's scratched/damaged. Haven't addressed the matter yet. Overall good kid, love him to death, but at 21 years old he should know better. I guess that's the kind of thing that happens when kids are given everything nearly their entire life and haven't had to work for it. His Taylor is newer than mine, but looks kind of rough. But hey, he plays the hell out of it. Might hit the open mic night he and his buds host next time in town. Might have to write a song about the concept of respecting other people's shit in the meantime.

Have my Bose hooked up to my surround receiver. When watching a movie it is hard to hear the voices/dialog. Turn it up so I can hear the voices and the esplosions get real esplodey. Need a center speaker to help resolve the issue.

Resisted a cell phone until I finally got one. Resisted switch from a flip phone to smart phone until I couldn't get a battery for my old phone, stopped making them, or so they claimed. Now I have a $600 theft or damage magnet that I carry around, and pretty much use exclusively as a.....phone. Land line is long gone, but the number still remains handy as password or whatever to receive discounts at the grocery and pharmacy.

Went out of town for a little over a week. Went to bed the night before I left to come home with my Taylor in the case. Woke up the next morning to find my Taylor laying on the couch half on top of my nephew's Taylor like so much chord wood. Gave it a once over, don't think it's scratched/damaged. Haven't addressed the matter yet. Overall good kid, love him to death, but at 21 years old he should know better. I guess that's the kind of thing that happens when kids are given everything nearly their entire life and haven't had to work for it. His Taylor is newer than mine, but looks kind of rough. But hey, he plays the hell out of it. Might hit the open mic night he and his buds host next time in town. Might have to write a song about the concept of respecting other people's shit in the meantime.
I have a Taylor too. 300 series dreadnaught. It is a precision instrument. Finely crafted, but seems to lack a soul imo. Intonation is great. But, hard to put my finger on it, it doesn’t inspire me.

Been reading a lot about Andy Powers influence on the Taylor line. Mine is maybe 15 years old. Long before Powers time. Might have to check out some of their newer offerings.

My take is you would be hard pressed to find a “bad” Taylor. Their CNC machines duplicate things very precisely. But I also think you’d be hard pressed to find a “great” Taylor.

Of course the problem could well be me and not the guitar. :o

Kinda know what you mean. Can't really put my finger on it myself, either. A bit cold, sterile, maybe. Had it down in Nashville at Blackbird Studios plugged in just getting a scratch track down before micing, guy behind the board said it was the best he'd ever heard just running direct. I like it sometimes, others i'd just as soon pick up the beloved early 70s Yamaha FG-75 I learned to play on. Doesn't necessarily project well, but a ton of warmth, tone, and soul(and mileage). Have always wanted and window shopped for a Martin D-28 Marquis, but the wife knows i'd never drop that kind of dough on myself for a guitar, so she bought me the Taylor as a gift. I would never have bought anything if not the Martin. At this point in my life it's the last and at least monetarily speaking nicest guitar i'll own. Mint. The kind of thing it'd be difficult for a 21 year old to understand. Hell I guess maybe I was probably a bit like that when younger. Guitars were for playing, a ding here and there only signified they were being used for the purpose for which they were created.

Last edited:
Kinda know what you mean. Can't really put my finger on it myself, either. A bit cold, sterile, maybe. Had it down in Nashville at Blackbird Studios plugged in just getting a scratch track down before micing, guy behind the board said it was the best he'd ever heard just running direct. I like it sometimes, others i'd just as soon pick up the beloved early 70s Yamaha FG-75 I learned to play on. Doesn't necessarily project well, but a ton of warmth, tone, and soul(and mileage). Have always wanted and window shopped for a Martin D-28 Marquis, but the wife knows i'd never drop that kind of dough on myself for a guitar, so she bought me the Taylor as a gift. I would never have bought anything if not the Martin. At this point in my life it's the last and at least monetarily speaking nicest guitar i'll own. Mint. The kind of thing it'd be difficult for a 21 year old to understand. Hell I guess maybe I was probably a bit like that when younger. Guitars were for playing, a ding here and there only signified they were being used for the purpose for which they were created.

My daughter was trying to learn guitar in her teenage years. I bought her a Washburn. Probably paid $200 for it. That was maybe 25 years ago. Recently I was at her house and picked it up to play it. It sounded better than my $1400 Taylor. Don’t get me wrong. It has issues. But from a pure sound standpoint, it was pretty sweet.

Might be time for me to spend some time at a guitar store auditioning my next purchase. :D

Guitars

I play a 30+ year old Fender acoustic, it's nothing special but we have a lot of history together. I have 20+ instruments but none of them are worth over $1000. I can buy whatever guitar I want, but I just don't want a $2000 guitar that I'm afraid to put a scratch in at this time in my life. I like mutts, beaters, players. I have more fun driving a beat up pick up through a field than driving a sports car down the highway.

I have a bland looking Yamaha acoustic I got used for $100 that has a clumsy neck, but sounds great.

I'm really thinking about getting a baritone acoustic these days. Playing mostly solo it would give me more bass without sacrificing on the treble end depending on how I play. Tenor acoustics are stupid IMHO, use a capo.

TV speakers
The majority of my TV use will be sports, so I'm not too concerned about sound. It just seems that as TVs have advanced the audio has become a separate entity. It's like when politicians say they've cut your taxes, but they've added new fees.

Looking at the TV, there are no analog outs, that's limiting.

LATER!!!

TV speakers
The majority of my TV use will be sports, so I'm not too concerned about sound. It just seems that as TVs have advanced the audio has become a separate entity. It's like when politicians say they've cut your taxes, but they've added new fees.

Looking at the TV, there are no analog outs, that's limiting.

LATER!!!
Most people go the home theater/surround route these days. TV mfgs realize that and therefore don’t waste money building in good speakers.

Analog outs would require an amp to be built in, no? That’s why you pretty much need to go sound bar, or with a separate receiver/speaker set up. Then use hdmi or optical connection.

Those Martin D28 Marquis I was looking at were in the $3,500 range. I might could see it if I played music for a living, as a tool of the trade, but otherwise that's just stupid money.

Those older Washburns sound pretty good. I had one from the mid 70s. My daughter forgot (or lost) her key one time while in jr. high and decided she would come through the window, which just happened to be unlocked. Yeah, apparently there was a struggle and the Washburn got the worst of it, neck snapped off around the 4th fret. Oh well.

I've been thinning the herd. I'm down to 9 guitars. I've sold a couple and given others away to young folks who show promise and a genuine interest in following through with playing. It's a good feeling, everybody wins. That said, I wouldn't mind finding an old Guild, a player. I won't go looking, but if one falls in my lap at a reasonable price. I've been playing more slide, as a niche, so a dobro might be a fun addition. 3-4-5 guys sitting around banging away, slide and/or a dobro can bring a welcome departure from the drone of the strum or the noodling. Old(er) guy bringing something different to the party sort of thing.

Drinking
Beers went down good last night. My son stopped in after his spring break trip and we went out to an open jam. My brother and a friend showed up too. Good times.

G.A.S.
I Found out I'm getting a lot more back in taxes than I thought I would, immediately I thought about getting a new toy.:cool:

Last night the guy who ran the open jam started out using a looper and I was super impressed. I'm all for loopers when used in an organic way, making your loops on the spot. I hate when people play along with recorded loops, I call that karaoke guitar.

I've been looking at a BOSS VE8 for a long time and this convergence of events might put me over the top. The biggest drawback is that while it's easy to use the guitar components, it's just like a stomp box, in order to use the harmonizer you have to plug the mic straight into the unit and from there to the mixer. Not that big of a deal, depending on who is running the open jam.

I do have a couple other things I'm looking at. I'll have to run it by the boss.:rolleyes:

Today
Anything that gets done today will be done slowly.

The weather
After a mild March the temperature is going to dip this week. Sucky.

LATER!!!

My tv is a bit frankensteined...Subwoofer from my new Kawai piano, Pioneer shelf speakers in the back and towers in the front (believe I spent a little over $1500 for all four when they were new) nice speakers. New Sony 7.2 (running 5.1) receiver with 145x7 amps...center speaker is from ???, but it handles the juice.

AFA a nice playable guitar with great tone, my FG335 will probably never be replaced. I would use this guitar even if I could afford a Martin...although, I'd certainly trade it straight across for my brother's 63 Gibson Dove...lol

Sorry to hear about your Guild, good guitars are supposed to be for a lifetime.

Off to the coast for a quick visit with some friends from Michigan. See you all soon.

Hi guys!! BandLab finally launched DAW which was known as SONAR Platinum under name "Cakewalk by BandLab", for FREE !!!
Check them out if you feel to : BandLab: Music Starts Here

ps:
- It's actually Sonar Platinum without 3rd party contents.
- x64 bit only, no 32bit available.
- You must have BandLab (free) account, and install it via BandLab Assistant application, no offline installer.

https://www.bandlab.com/download/assistant/windows

It's FREE !!! Enjoy... :) CU..

Back