DAW Users With ADD

Hi Mike and Guy, you'll probably not remember me but I used to pop in here quite often a few years back and annoy you both so here I am again! You lucky people!
What really triggered my posting here was the news that Cakewalk assets have been bought by a conglomerate of music brands so hopefully, Sonar will be continued. But reading your last few posts I'm not sure if you are bothered these days or not? I'm still hankering after recording but work is intense and I don't have much time to do that but I do mess around with my gear once in a while.
I'm planning to retire at the end of Sept 2020 when I'll be 66 and before I went to Dubai and now Switzerland built myself a nice recording studio at our family home back in England which frustrates me every time I go back to see it sitting there all unused. Still, you can't have everything.
Sorry to read about your inlaws Guy, it's very sad when you see family members in that situation; luckily my brother and I turned up the heat on our Mom a few years back and got them to move to an apartment with help available. My Mom is 87 and got a few medical issues and my Dad is 90 in May and has dementia but is compliant and relatively fit.
Anyway, it's been nice to stop by and see you both still posting; take care and maybe I'll post again soon as long as you'll put up with me.:)

Good to hear from you Paul!

I'm still interested in recording, it's just that as of late I've been playing out as much as I can. It's open jams, but the quality level is very high. IMO it's better to see five or six acts than one all night anyways.

My interests are a moving target, in a year I may be learning how to play bagpipes.

2020 is coming at you like a rocket! Don't blink.;)

Hi Mike and Guy, you'll probably not remember me but I used to pop in here quite often a few years back and annoy you both so here I am again! You lucky people!
What really triggered my posting here was the news that Cakewalk assets have been bought by a conglomerate of music brands so hopefully, Sonar will be continued. But reading your last few posts I'm not sure if you are bothered these days or not? I'm still hankering after recording but work is intense and I don't have much time to do that but I do mess around with my gear once in a while.
I'm planning to retire at the end of Sept 2020 when I'll be 66 and before I went to Dubai and now Switzerland built myself a nice recording studio at our family home back in England which frustrates me every time I go back to see it sitting there all unused. Still, you can't have everything.
Sorry to read about your inlaws Guy, it's very sad when you see family members in that situation; luckily my brother and I turned up the heat on our Mom a few years back and got them to move to an apartment with help available. My Mom is 87 and got a few medical issues and my Dad is 90 in May and has dementia but is compliant and relatively fit.
Anyway, it's been nice to stop by and see you both still posting; take care and maybe I'll post again soon as long as you'll put up with me.:)

So is the house in England vacant? Maybe available as a (free) B&B for some handsome American who promises not to party too hard (or who can no longer party too hard). :D

How’s Switzerland? Gotta be better than Dubai, no.

Stop by again, but bring a housewarming gift next time. :drunk:

Digital services update
We're finally ditching the land line. We're getting Direct TV which is owned by our current provider ATT and keeping them for the internet. We're getting a little better price with some better features.The best thing about it? The $300 Sam's Club card which will be used for my new TV!

I'm upgrading from 42" to a 55", that's as big as I really want to go in my small house.

It'll be great for that national title the Badgers are going to win next year.:)

Digital services update
We're finally ditching the land line. We're getting Direct TV which is owned by our current provider ATT and keeping them for the internet. We're getting a little better price with some better features.The best thing about it? The $300 Sam's Club card which will be used for my new TV!

I'm upgrading from 42" to a 55", that's as big as I really want to go in my small house.

It'll be great for that national title the Badgers are going to win next year.:)

You going with the dish on the roof, or their over the Internet tv service?

I went with Internet tv about 1-1/2 years ago - Playstation Vue. It’s a bit quirky, but I figure I’m saving about $50 a month with it. Still have Internet and landline from my cable company. I’ve thought about dumping the landline. Right now I’m on a promotion price schedule with the cableco. If they raise the price at the end of the promotion, I’ll probably ditch the phone and just keep internet.

I had issues with the dish stuff, winds blowing and rain and ice.....i went back to package and cable.

but really I could just have internet and streaming and be fine. tv is bloated with commercials every 5 minutes

You need to get a DVR. Cuts down an hour long show to like 40 minutes, and you zap the commercials. :thumbs up:
DVR is the way to go. Not only are there commercials, but some shows tease and review bumpers. A show that clocks in at 22 minutes might only have 18 minutes of content.

My priority was the Big Ten network and hi-def. It was not good on a 42", it'll be worse on a 55". I don't care about Netflix, HBO or anything like that.

We also have an antenna on the roof, which I can switch to if needed.

Good to hear from you Paul!

I'm still interested in recording, it's just that as of late I've been playing out as much as I can. It's open jams, but the quality level is very high. IMO it's better to see five or six acts than one all night anyways.

My interests are a moving target, in a year I may be learning how to play bagpipes.

2020 is coming at you like a rocket! Don't blink.;)
Thanks Guy, I'll try not to. And good luck with the bagpipes!

March
Has come in like a lamb.

Old stuff
Cleaned out behind the bar , threw out a bunch of old computer stuff, papers and what not. I did however reconnect my cassette deck to my stereo to replay some old tapes. They were amazingly clear. I remember buying cassettes back in the day that either were muddled or degraded quickly, they must've use some cheap ass tape. I still have unopened tapes if I want ti go retro some day.

Digital services update
I enjoyed watching Rick and Morty in the basement last night.

LATER!!!

So I dropped Playstation Vue as my TV provider, and signed up with YouTube TV. $45 vs $35. But just as important, their DVR is better. Vue recordings were only good for 28 days. On YouTube they’re good for 9 months. Plus they have thumbnails when you FF, which allows you to know when the commercials are over, versus having to guess with Vue.

$35 with unrestricted, unlimited DVR, and no cable box fees... pretty good deal. :thumbs up:

So I dropped Playstation Vue as my TV provider, and signed up with YouTube TV. $45 vs $35. But just as important, their DVR is better. Vue recordings were only good for 28 days. On YouTube they’re good for 9 months. Plus they have thumbnails when you FF, which allows you to know when the commercials are over, versus having to guess with Vue.

$35 with unrestricted, unlimited DVR, and no cable box fees... pretty good deal. :thumbs up:

Is that internet TV? You get a box?

Between phones (4) internet and cable, I spend a lot of $$$

Drinking
I went to a bar on lake drive that was open forever and then closed. I lamented the fact that I had never made it into that establishment but fortunately it reopened a few months later under a new owner. I guess you can't keep a good bar down.
The odd thing about the place...no TVs. No juke box either, just what he chooses to play. It's actually nice, the place is somewhat of a throwback/Tiki kind of bar that pushes cocktails over beer.

LATER!!!

Is that internet TV? You get a box?

Between phones (4) internet and cable, I spend a lot of $$$
Yeah, Internet TV. No cable box, but you need a device to play it. Either a smart tv, or a streaming device (Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, etc). I already had a Roku that I bought for Netflix awhile ago. But rather than pay the cableco $9 a month for a cable box, even if you had to buy a streaming device they are around a one-time cost of $50 or so. They do become obsolete every few years as the technology changes, but with the savings from not renting a cable box you’re still well ahead of the game.

I still get internet and landline from the cable company - although I’m toying with dropping the landline and just using my cell.

Only reason I would keep a land line is if my cell number changed occasionally. Since I've kept the same cell# for the last 9 years, (since we moved to NC), I'm happy with my decision not to have a land line here. Just one more bill.
March is still coming in like a lion. Sleet and snow yesterday, but sunny and calm today. We shall see.
Actually bought a new piece of music gear...my tuner of 15 years finally gave up. New one has a built in metronome (I'll likely never use) and was only $15...my last one was $70 15 years ago. Technology keeps on keeping on, eh?

March is still coming in like a lion. Sleet and snow yesterday, but sunny and calm today. We shall see.
Actually bought a new piece of music gear...my tuner of 15 years finally gave up. New one has a built in metronome (I'll likely never use) and was only $15...my last one was $70 15 years ago. Technology keeps on keeping on, eh?
I don’t remember what I paid for my first tuner, but it a switch you had to turn for every string. Tune E. Turn switch. Tune A. Turn switch. A bit of a pain compared to the clip on tuners that light up each note.

I mostly keep my landline for companies that require a phone number. I only give my cell number to friends and family. Amazing how that cuts down on telemarketing calls. :rolleyes:

I haven't had a phone in years. I was in greely Colorado, yes I was really in greely, and I looked around and everybody on the sidewalks was dorking around with a cell phone. I think they were all playing pokemon go.

Phones
I think our land line had 6 hours of use last moth and that was mostly telemarketers.

Tuners
I always used a pitch fork,which I still have, until a bought a Sabine tune, which I still have, for the super cheap price of $47 around twenty years ago.

Right now I have 6 or 7 headstock tuners which I always pay $10 or less for when they are on sale.

Drinking
I'm going to do my best to hang one on Friday, the wife is off Saturday,it's open jam night, even though work has been better, it still sucks. I'm putting a premium these days on socializing, there's more to life the eat-work-sleep.

LATER!!!

Attachments

• 27866986_10208048328564428_8006055406688343898_n.jpg
    27866986_10208048328564428_8006055406688343898_n.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 6
Drinking
I'm going to do my best to hang one on Friday, the wife is off Saturday,it's open jam night, even though work has been better, it still sucks. I'm putting a premium these days on socializing, there's more to life the eat-work-sleep.

LATER!!!
So? How’s the head today? :)

I had the old band over last night. We were pretty rusty, but not half bad considering we hadn’t played together in maybe 18 months. Several scotches were consumed by yours truly (it improves my playing). :guitar:

I paid for it today as I had to get up early today to go see my daughter’s play. (She’s a theater teacher for a middle school, and directs the annual musical.). Nothing like watching 10 and 12 year olds try to act and sing with a hangover. :(

Back