DAW Users With ADD

Nope, can't re bounce. Original recording doesn't exist. The reason for the bounce was the hard drive going wonk. When I was recording the song I didn't realize it wasn't going to save...but it kept giving me write errors. I'm not sure, but I believe something was extremely wrong at that point, and I'm just lucky to have them to listen to to get the retracks done. :) Still have to find my mike cage...

Nope, can't re bounce. Original recording doesn't exist. The reason for the bounce was the hard drive going wonk. When I was recording the song I didn't realize it wasn't going to save...but it kept giving me write errors. I'm not sure, but I believe something was extremely wrong at that point, and I'm just lucky to have them to listen to to get the retracks done. :) Still have to find my mike cage...
Sucks. :(

I've lost changes due to computer crashes, but never an entire recording.

Of course I'm not counting pilot error. Like the time i recorded a vocal take, not realizing
I had "punch in" parameters set. So instead of recording an entire 4 minute vocal track, i got 3 words recorded at 2:52. :)

Recording
It's a different hat than being a musician. I sometimes wonder if the people who don't want anything to do with it are smarter than us.

I've learned how to use a lot of equipment and stuff but probably the most important thing I learned is that you have to have a good performance. Playing out as much as I have over the last year I think I'm a better live player than recording player. I don't get stage fright, I use the adrenaline to my advantage. It's hard to catch that vibe in the basement, for me at least.

Back to school
I'm moving my son back to Madison this Sunday, my daughter is a senior and with any luck she'd be moving away next year too, but it looks like she'll be going to a local college

Football
In two weeks my Sundays will be spoken for. I'm looking forward to another year of going to the playoffs, winning the first game and losing the next one.

LATER!!!

Yeah. I know what you mean. The rush of playing in front of a live audience, even if it's just a coffee shop with 20 people in it, just can't be run up the flagpole at will. Sometimes I'll be sitting at home and have those moments when it's just me and my guitar or piano. Then I'll try to recapture it in front of the mike. I think that's what separates the greats from the rest.

Yeah. I know what you mean. The rush of playing in front of a live audience, even if it's just a coffee shop with 20 people in it, just can't be run up the flagpole at will. Sometimes I'll be sitting at home and have those moments when it's just me and my guitar or piano. Then I'll try to recapture it in front of the mike. I think that's what separates the greats from the rest.

I'll make a scratch track that sounds pretty good when I'm fleshing out an idea, but when I record the final version it aqlways seems lifeless.

My latest gear crush

I may get one of these before the year is up.

Don't ask me why, because I haven't figured that out yet.

I've learned how to use a lot of equipment and stuff but probably the most important thing I learned is that you have to have a good performance.
!

Amen to that!!

Can't tell you how many musicians I've worked with that f}#k something up, and then go, can't you fix that? You know, copy and paste from the earlier part. Or just move that mis-timed chord.

How about PLAYING it right!! Ever hear of that? :mad:

My brother has done some house flipping. He says to me, 90% of construction is knowing how to cover up your mistakes. He could've been talking about some of my recording sessions, lol.

...and therein lies the rub. You can record one riff and cut and paste over and over until you have the song. Digital recording (along with the laziness it inspired) is probably the second biggest contributor to the decline of commercial music...right behind lawyers, of course. :)

Happy Labor Day weekend![

I'm taking in some scrap, making chicken soup, playing guitar and drinking. Other than that, I'm wide open.

Music
I've got a Mt Rushmore of acoustic songs that I'm working on, songs that I should've known by now, but have just eluded me. It's my personal goal for the year.

My latest gear crush

I may get one of these before the year is up.

Yeah, I am so getting one of these, because I really need a distraction to keep me from reaching my goals. :)

LATER!!!

The VE8 looks cool for live performance. Lots of obvious functions for making acoustic/vocal sound good and good together. It probably wouldn't fix my lousy playing...:(

Music
I've got a Mt Rushmore of acoustic songs that I'm working on, songs that I should've known by now, but have just eluded me. It's my personal goal for the year.
LATER!!!

Ok, spill it. Start naming names!

I used to know a lot of songs. All kinds of singalongs. Beatles stuff and the like. Now I can't remember if my shoes are tied. :confused:

The VE8 looks cool for live performance. Lots of obvious functions for making acoustic/vocal sound good and good together. It probably wouldn't fix my lousy playing...:(

I play solo and I was never really in the market for effects, harmonizer or a looper, but the combination of all three in one box has me intrigued. I'm a fan of Boss/ Roland stuff and the deep programming you can do with them. A lot of people want WYSIWYG and think submenus are a drag.

It's a dilemma as to how reliant a musician can be on technology, sometimes the gear should get top billing.

Ok, spill it. Start naming names!

I used to know a lot of songs. All kinds of singalongs. Beatles stuff and the like. Now I can't remember if my shoes are tied. :confused:

American pie:I know 90% of it, I just need to pull it together into a cohesive song

Vincent(starry starry night): I know about 10% of it, one of my all time favorite songs, but I don't get it.

Taxi, Cat's in the Cradle: I've always wanted to do one or both, I know a good deal of both songs, but need to tie things together, Taxi being the more complex of the two.

Time in a bottle: I play a lot of Croce tunes, he's my favorite right after the Beatles. This song is his Stairway to Heaven, overplayed, cliche yet both a standard and a classic. A lot of Croce songs have two guitars playing separate parts that work great together and this is one of them. I've tried different ways of approaching this song solo but have yet to find something that makes me happy.

If You Could Read My Mind:I have a basic version down pat, I just have to add some flourishes or harmonica to dress it up a bit.

LATER!!!

Labor day!

I'm trying to decide whether I should be a total or partial bum today.

Stupid Deal of the HOUR!
I'll be checking in every hour because I can't pass up on a killer deal for a clarinet mouthpiece or a hardshell case for a discontinued 32 track mixing board.

The weather
It's still warm, but the nights have been cool. I love this time of year, I hate what comes next though.......

LATER!!!

Stupid Deal of the HOUR!
I'll be checking in every hour because I can't pass up on a killer deal for a clarinet mouthpiece or a hardshell case for a discontinued 32 track mixing board.

They had one deal I thought about, a set of speakers for $59 that my son bought for $79 a month ago that I thought was pretty good for the price. Of course I had no use for them other than they were cheap.

The discounts didn't apply to the Boss VE8, so that was a no go.

I did buy an LP case for my Epi DC LP, for $39. They don't have to be road rugged because they just sit in the basement. My main beef with cheap cases is that unless they tell you otherwise they are NOT for tilt back headstocks.

If You Could Read My Mind:I have a basic version down pat, I just have to add some flourishes or harmonica to dress it up a bit.

LATER!!!
Man, the early Gordon Lightfoot stuff is fantastic and timeless. Try to find his live albums that didn't get all syrupy with strings (after all it was the 70s). Sunday Concert is an album well worth studying.

Man, the early Gordon Lightfoot stuff is fantastic and timeless. Try to find his live albums that didn't get all syrupy with strings (after all it was the 70s). Sunday Concert is an album well worth studying.

I can't say that I'm familiar with anything deeper than Lightfoot's hits, I was raised on 70's AM pop and K-tel. I am however familiar with how the studios dressed up songs to make them pop hits. My favorite is the one hit wonder "Brandy" by Looking Glass. They were a rock band and the studio added all kinds of orchestration to the song so when people saw them live it was a turn off.

I'll add the album to my list of things I'm supposed to do but never get around to. I've painted myself in a corner in that I have such a backlog of stuff I want to learn, I'm afraid to listen to anything new.

My favorite is the one hit wonder "Brandy" by Looking Glass. They were a rock band and the studio added all kinds of orchestration to the song so when people saw them live it was a turn off.
What about Jimmy Loves Mary Anne? :D lol.

Actually Looking Glass is from New Brunswick, NJ. Essentially same general area I'm from. I don't know them personally, but I've played with guys they played with. Probably the only reason I know JLM.

What about Jimmy Loves Mary Anne? :D lol.

Actually Looking Glass is from New Brunswick, NJ. Essentially same general area I'm from. I don't know them personally, but I've played with guys they played with. Probably the only reason I know JLM.

I listened to it, needs orchestration.:rolleyes:

A fairly wide Q centered at about 2K @ -12dB (or just run the fader down until it's no longer annoying)? ;)
If you're serious, all voices have tonal frequencies that pop out on certain notes. You'd have to sweep to find the particular one(s) (sometimes 4 or 5). I know where mine are, but I couldn't tell you specific freqs to help out there...

Back