DAW Users With ADD

New toy

Traded in my son's trombone for whatever I could get for it. So I got a bass for it. Now I have two, and I don't play bass....much.

Attachments

• bass.jpg
    bass.jpg
    651.8 KB · Views: 6
New toy

Traded in my son's trombone for whatever I could get for it. So I got a bass for it. Now I have two, and I don't play bass....much.

You couldn't have melted down the trombone and sold the metal. :)

Cool. What is it? And more importantly, how does it sound?

Finally got the drummer recorded via midi last night. I also, using Sonar "split notes to tracks" feature, got all the drums put on individual tracks. So all in all, a productive night. I still need to record each midi track back to audio, which if I had some good sounding drum software might not be necessary. :o

Can't figure out why all the initial issues with this. It worked like a charm last night. :confused:

You couldn't have melted down the trombone and sold the metal. :)

Cool. What is it? And more importantly, how does it sound?

It's a Washburn.

When I first got it I noticed the were bumps in the strings around the third fret and upon closer inspection I noticed that it was really string taper. Someone must've put a short scale set on the long scale bass, if there is such a thing? Luckily I had a set of bass strings that I got for free, unfortunately they were lights. Changed the strings, changed the battery and I was pleased to find out I hadn't traded my son's trombone for a handful of magic beans.

I like the active electronics. The controls are bass. treble , volume and balance. The balance control has a center detent and there are no switches. It's not something I would've picked up for cash, but after playing around with it I've opened my eyes a little bit about modern basses. I've got a MIM FenderJazz bass, which I'll keep and maybe I'll try flatwounds on that just to see what they're about.

So far, I'm pleased, I walked in willing to take whatever they were giving and came out with something I like and can use.

Finally got the drummer recorded via midi last night. I also, using Sonar "split notes to tracks" feature, got all the drums put on individual tracks. So all in all, a productive night. I still need to record each midi track back to audio, which if I had some good sounding drum software might not be necessary. :o

Can't figure out why all the initial issues with this. It worked like a charm last night. :confused:

If you would've snagged on Komplete Elements when it was $19 you would've had Abbey Road 60's drumset (along with other stuff).:rolleyes:

A lot of these new drum softwares have their own submixer and each drum has it's own channel. The Roland probably has some mixing functions, but that wouldn't be any where as easy as on the computer. If it only has two outputs that makes life difficult.

Split notes to tracks kicks ass.

If you would've snagged on Komplete Elements when it was $19 you would've had Abbey Road 60's drumset (along with other stuff).:rolleyes:

A lot of these new drum softwares have their own submixer and each drum has it's own channel. The Roland probably has some mixing functions, but that wouldn't be any where as easy as on the computer. If it only has two outputs that makes life difficult.

Split notes to tracks kicks ass.

My experiencecwith drum software is second only to my experience with reverb. Yet to find one I like. :(

Of course, most of my software is a few years old, so maybe things have improved. The big thing with reverbs back when I dropped out were these impulse file thingies. They seem to have disappeared, no?

Btw, I opened up my Sonar file this morning and the midi track we recorded last night was gone! :eek:

Actually the track was still there, but it had no data in it.

Fortunately, I had "split to tracks" and all the individual drum tracks were still there. Whew! Just the original track with everything on it was gone. Pretty scary. Not sure what happened.

I did notice that at one point I tried to highlight a track by clicking on it, and instead of highlighting it, it erased it. Since I had noticed it happening, it was easy to just "undo" delete and get it back. But what happens if you don't notice?

It has me concerened this new Sonar context-sensitive smart tool might be too smart for me.

Btw, I opened up my Sonar file this morning and the midi track we recorded last night was gone! :eek:

Actually the track was still there, but it had no data in it.

Fortunately, I had "split to tracks" and all the individual drum tracks were still there. Whew! Just the original track with everything on it was gone. Pretty scary. Not sure what happened.

I did notice that at one point I tried to highlight a track by clicking on it, and instead of highlighting it, it erased it. Since I had noticed it happening, it was easy to just "undo" delete and get it back. But what happens if you don't notice?

It has me concerened this new Sonar context-sensitive smart tool might be too smart for me.
Doh! It just dawned on me that this was likely the result of the "split notes" procedure. Im guessing it takes the midi notes from the starting track, and simply moves them all to their own individual track. Thus no data remains in the original track - although the track itself is not deleted. So you end up, as I did, with an empty track.

I guess if I also wanted the original track (which I did), I should have cloned it first. There's no real need for the original track, except as a precaution. I like to keep it because if I do edits on the other tracks, it gives me a backward path in the highly unlikely case I f$&k something up. :)

My experiencecwith drum software is second only to my experience with reverb. Yet to find one I like. :(

Of course, most of my software is a few years old, so maybe things have improved. The big thing with reverbs back when I dropped out were these impulse file thingies. They seem to have disappeared, no?

There's lots of good software out there, you just don't want to spend any $$$.:p

I have an impulse reverb that came with SONAR, but it must be because I have the Producer edition. Of course I don't know where the impulse files are and I don't feel like D/Ling any either because I have a handful of nice reverbs.

IK multimedia recently had a sale on reverbs starting at $25. Vallhala is well received on forums for $50, you should at least try a demo.

My plate is full on both the software and hardware sides. The time and motivation sides are a little lacking though.

My wish list of gear right now would be in no particular order....

Danelectro longhorn bass, just because.

Electro Harmonix C9, how could you not want one.

Sitar/guitar, I should've had one a long time ago, bucket list guitar.

Banjo, I'm holding off because I'll have to learn how to play it.

Various misfit stringed things, tenor guitar, baritone guitar, electric mandolin, various resonators, etc,etc, etc.

You just have to be aware of it. There are keyboard shortcuts to get into different modes,but it's complicated enough that if you don't use it enough, it can mess you up. There's a lot going on in SONAR, maybe too much, hence my comments about the software being fully mature.

This thread started in the Sonar forum, and now it's starting to seem like it should be back there, lol. :rolleyes:

Full circle, and it only took what? Fourteen years? :eek: :D

Btw, I used some drum software that came packaged with Sonar today. It at least gives me away to hear stuff for editing when the e-drums aren't here. Anyway, this software pulls up a picture of a drum kit, and shows animation when each drum is hit. Initially it was pretty cool, but then I started thinking how much processing power is being wasted on something that pretty much serves no useful purpose. It's like sticking a video game in the midst of "professional" recording software.

FWIW, I've played bass for so many years I'd rather not admit to myself exactly how many, but flatwounds are a very limited scope item. Rounds are usually why people don't want to play their bass much. My choice over the years, and still using them (although I experiment every once in a while) are D'Addario Half Rounds. Try a set of ENR-72's and see what you think. The one thing they don't do well is keep their tone. If you let the bass hang on the wall for a year, they tend to not have the good tone they did when you hung the bass up. Both my basses are 5 string now, so the 72's don't work well anymore, but still using half rounds. Just have to replace them every year whether I play them hard or not. If I play a lot, it gets to twice a year. :) Still love to play on occasion, but spend a lot more time on the guitar and piano because that's where most of the songwriting comes from...Steve Harris I ain't. :laughings:
Glad the recordings came out well!

FWIW, I've played bass for so many years I'd rather not admit to myself exactly how many, but flatwounds are a very limited scope item. Rounds are usually why people don't want to play their bass much. My choice over the years, and still using them (although I experiment every once in a while) are D'Addario Half Rounds. Try a set of ENR-72's and see what you think. The one thing they don't do well is keep their tone. If you let the bass hang on the wall for a year, they tend to not have the good tone they did when you hung the bass up. Both my basses are 5 string now, so the 72's don't work well anymore, but still using half rounds. Just have to replace them every year whether I play them hard or not. If I play a lot, it gets to twice a year. :) Still love to play on occasion, but spend a lot more time on the guitar and piano because that's where most of the songwriting comes from...Steve Harris I ain't. :laughings:
Glad the recordings came out well!

I have two basses now and I just want to see the difference. I've got quite a few guitars and now I'm thinking about putting flatwounds on one of them just for kicks.

A lot of people recommend five strings, and it's not a bad idea. If I ever do get one it'll probably be something I stumble in to.

Anyways I was playing the new bass tonight, recorded a bit of it and was really pleased.

My studio is still down. Tried to do a patch by uninstalling and reinstalling Reason on a different drive, and Reason kicked right up and responded correctly. I could load all my music, play, etc. Spent about 6 hours recording one of the new songs before I tried to save. I NEVER do that...always stop and save when I get each track down. But things were going so well I just kept grabbing a different instrument and going at it. A little disappointing when all I could get was write errors...I managed to render the individual tracks, so it's not a total loss, but still disappointed. Got to get into the machine and pull the old drive out and install a new one. Just need the drive...life's tough when you're buried in "affordable health care".

My studio is still down. Tried to do a patch by uninstalling and reinstalling Reason on a different drive, and Reason kicked right up and responded correctly. I could load all my music, play, etc. Spent about 6 hours recording one of the new songs before I tried to save. I NEVER do that...always stop and save when I get each track down. But things were going so well I just kept grabbing a different instrument and going at it. A little disappointing when all I could get was write errors...I managed to render the individual tracks, so it's not a total loss, but still disappointed. Got to get into the machine and pull the old drive out and install a new one. Just need the drive...life's tough when you're buried in "affordable health care".

OTOH, thirty years ago, a multitrack studio was a four track cassette deck.

Okay, finally freed up $100 in my budget and got the drive and cable replaced. All is right after an afternoon of initializing, moving files and then a clean install on Reason. Now Reason 9 has come out...:( More money needed. Ah well, somewhere, somehow. Really, though, I'm pretty sure I can skip 9. Doesn't look like they changed much. A few workflow things, a couple new doohickeys. Meh. I'll probably wait for 10.

I like it. Some of the lower vocals sound uncomfortable, some of the drum fills sound rushed, couple of loud snare hits (I remember the drums being very laid back on the original, and the drumming sounds very pushed) and I don't know if it's me, but it seemed to speed up, like you're using a live drummer...:). Other than that, all the tones sound great, the balance and the spread are sweet. Really like the voice.

Back