DAW Users With ADD

Sorry... I wanted to be "the one" who bumped this over the top.

This thread has officially reached 1,000 posts!!!!

Here we are at 1000 POSTS!!!
and we still haven't said a damn thing!:D

999 posts ago...

ChuckU said:
Note: This thread started in the Cakewalk forum and spiraled into old fart sports blather...
Believe it or not, I'm going upstairs now to record and mix. Gotta get some time in before Pedro/Schilling:D

That's how it started. It's great when others get involved.

But to Acidrock, Dachay2tnr and Paul881, here's to another thousand and hoping we meet up some day.
Chuck

PS Lou, you stole my thunder, getting 1000. Watch out for me this summer cruising up the Spaulding Turnpike!;)...Oh, it was Buck. Typical conduct from THE MAN!:eek:

Yeah, Chuck, we had reserved #1000 for you. And suddenly along comes these usurpers. I guess that's what I get for having had to work all weekend and not being able to stay on top of the homerec.com scene.

OK, we'll save #2000 for you. :D

And I guess it looks like we're not getting any pictures from Acidrock's weekend. Too bad, that was going to be the highlight of my weekend. :D :D :D That's soooooo sad. :(

In the meantime, I'm still looking for us all to hook up somewhere, sometime. Just give me the date and place. :cool:

Here's to the next 1000..

pfffftt!!!!Glug,glug,glug!AAaaHHhh......UuRrP!!!
Well I hope you can all join me for one or two or whatever to commemorate this astounding feat of one thousand posts!
It was'nt easy by a longshot.There were times when things got pretty grim.But just when things seemed to be coming to an end and it might be time to turn out the lights bam! someone would post again!
It took a lot of hard work and determination to keep this thread afloat,endless nights tapping away at the keyboard with only a refrigerator of cold beer and a few bags of salty snacks for sustenance.No matter what the weather was like outside,ever vigilant except for whiz breaks,sports and rare cases of recording,keeping the flame that is DAW users with ADD alive!

LATER!

Re: Here's to the next 1000..

acidrock said:
It was'nt easy by a longshot.There were times when things got pretty grim.But just when things seemed to be coming to an end and it might be time to turn out the lights bam! someone would post again!
I can certainly vouch for that. You don't know how many times I was just gonna post some inane prattle that happened to be on my mind at the time, but nooooooo.... I fought the urge and waited until I had something laced with wisdom and knowledge that I could share.

And I know you guys appreciate me for that. :rolleyes:

Please excuse the intrusion into your thread, guys. I just wanted to say that The Dachays' CD ROCKS!
You will now be returned to the regularly scheduled thread.:D

:D :D :D Hey, an unpaid testimonial! Check's in the mail, Bob.

Seriously, thanks for the kind words. And you are welcome here anytime you want. The fact that 98% of the posts are from Acid, Chuck, Paul and me doesn't make it a closed thread. Just happened to work out that way. Most of the discussion, however, revolves around Sonar, wine, women, acidrock's job, and football (and occasionally futbol :) ). So you will need to have an interest in at least one of those subjects.

Looks like it's down to me and you again, Paul.

Paul? . . . Paul? . . . Pauuuuuuuuuul!

Now where the F did he go? I'm all alone here. :(

There's still people here,we're just busy.Ten hour day today and it was cold and snowy.This is the time of year when you get sick of the cold and can't wait for the weather to turn.

Man I've been playing guitar quite a bit more these days and practically every day I lay down tracks but yet I'm not finishing songs.
Strangely enough,I'm satisfied.I don't know if it's a reflection of recent events a just a comfortable groove.I think mainly it's just because I like making noise.:rolleyes:

later!

Aha! The old "Sorry but some of us have lives, Mike!" answer :D Well, I have a life too.

Unfortunately, this happens to be it. :(

Glad to hear you've been doing some recording, AR. Let's get something finished and posted in the clinic. :)

We, on the other hand, have done absolutely nothing in the past month and a half. One of our guys was away in Aruba for 6 weeks (tough life). Maybe now that he's back, we can get back on track. And if not, there's always drinking to fall back on. :D

I'm back!!! Did ya miss me?

Well, what a shedload of hassle I've had...but I am now the proud owner of a new P4 ASUS mobo powered DAW with a 2.4 Gig cpu and a 60 gig 7200rpm HDD.:D :D :D 6 USB's and a firewire card.

In the end, I had to go to the pro's, buy an hour of their time and they diagnosed a dead brand new Seagate HDD:mad: That explains why it wouldn't format:rolleyes:

But I did all the hard work, changed my mobo out and got it all back together again. Can't get my emails working but its only a matter of time. Stupid Outlook program:mad: Am exhausted, will sleep better tonight knowing my beloved PC is back together again. BTW, I checked out the new slate grey Coolmaster case today......wicked. I want one;)

Next stop, install my omni soundcard and enable midi sound on the mobo (got the audio version of the P4PE;) ) Thats a job for the weekend, am away for a few days working:(

I see we made 1000 posts:D Shame I missed all the action, and shame Chuck didn't get the honour due him.:( Still, there's always next time:) What a load of bollocks we all speak, 1000 posts about nothing important and yet it is such an important part of our lives. I haven't given up on getting out to the US later this year to meet up. My wife wants to know if AR's opinion of his Skill in "certain areas" is an opinion shared by his wife:D "Self praise is no praise" is what she rekons:p

Catch you later chaps. Tally Ho!

Paul881 said:

Well, what a shedload of hassle I've had...but I am now the proud owner of a new P4 ASUS mobo powered DAW with a 2.4 Gig cpu and a 60 gig 7200rpm HDD.:D :D :D 6 USB's and a firewire card.

Paul, you missed this from last week (and the referenced link)https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=54408&perpage=25&pagenumber=40

As a result, I am now the proud owner of a new P4 ASUS mobo powered DAW with a 2.4 Gig cpu and 2 40-gig 7200rpm HDD.:D :D :D 6 USB's and a firewire card.

Actually, firewire and lan are integrated into my mobo, a P4PE, as well as USB and USB 2.0.

At this moment I am attempting to disable the onboard audio in BIOS.

BTW, Mike, the HD bus problem was a breeze to fix.
the ribbon cable is set up to make it difficult to get drives that are physically far apart on the same bus, but if you spin it around you can make the connection.

From
I======I==I[PRIMARY IDE BUS]
to
I==I======I[PRIMARY IDE BUS]

The I's representing the female 40-pin connectors.

ChuckU said:
BTW, Mike, the HD bus problem was a breeze to fix.
the ribbon cable is set up to make it difficult to get drives that are physically far apart on the same bus, but if you spin it around you can make the connection.

From
I======I==I[PRIMARY IDE BUS]
to
I==I======I[PRIMARY IDE BUS]

The I's representing the female 40-pin connectors.
Interesting. I assume the left connection represents the MOBO in both cases. For some reason I thought all 3 female connectors were specific to MOBO, Master, Slave. Guess not, huh? :)

Oh. Were you gone, Paul? :D :D

Good luck to both of you with your new DAW's. I would probably be jealous if I was actually using mine for anything these days besides a dust collector.

New DAW's

Chuck, so you bit the bullet and upgraded too? I don't know about you, but I feel as though I have aged 10 years in the week with the stress of it all. Two failed HD's (one brand new:( ), one faulty IDE cable, a boot up disk that was corrupted, Partition Magic Recovery disks failing to load and dodgy technical advice and manuals:mad: Lets hope it was all worth it:) Chuck, I trust you are all sorted now?

Fighting against Management
Never pick a fight you can't win.;)

Paul, so far my upgrade has gone smoothly. Due in a large part I think, to the fact that I had the shop put it together - i.e. load Windows and drivers. They only charge $50 to do this, so WTF. It's worth it.

I got it home and found the drives were not positioned properly with respect to primary and secondary masters. I fixed that quickly, then disabled the integrated sound in the bios and loaded Sonar2 and the Delta Drivers.

I called up a song that I've been working on that had the CPU meter up to 70% on my 1ghz with plugins, etc. On the new system, same song didn't even go over 20% CPU. Woohoo!!

ChuckU said:
I called up a song that I've been working on that had the CPU meter up to 70% on my 1ghz with plugins, etc. On the new system, same song didn't even go over 20% CPU. Woohoo!!
Sounds like you need to slap more plugins on that baby!!!!! :D :D

Fighting against Management
Never pick a fight you can't win
You spoil everything with your common sense, Paul. :)

Well it snowing here (again!!!).

They are closing the office at 3:30. :D

After this brutal winter in NJ, you all might find it interesting that I am taking a trip to the Adirondack mountains in upstate NY this weekend. I looked on Yahoo weather and the low for the area today was minus 5oF. Sunday is calling for snow there with a low of 2oF.

Even I find it hard to believe I'm going. I want sun and warmth, not more cold and snow. :( :( :(

Oh well, at least there'll be a fire, some red wine, and plenty to eat!! It could be worse I guess.

Computers
Call me a chicken but I'll leave it to the pro's.I do quite a bit of repair work so I value expertise.I've been called in more times than I can remember to finish something a do it yourselfer has started.Sometimes I wonder why people will pay expensive rates to do a task as simple as changing a garage door roller or hinge,but I have to remember simple is a matter of perspective.The same thing applies to guitar playing.

Red wine
I've heard there are health benefits to drinking red wine.........you guys might live forever.What's a good red wine for just getting sauced?I've always considered red wine dinner wine.If I'm gonna get tanked on wine I'll do it with white.

And while I'm on the subject of wine......
Having worked in supper clubs where overpriced wine was pushed I've always hated the snobbery and pretense attached to serving wine.
The showing of the bottle,the sniff the cork taste and okay ritual.What a bunch of hooey!Just give me the damn bottlle and go away.But I suppose you have to somehow justify charging thirty dollars for a two dollar bottle of wine.
I must qualify the last stament by saying I enjoy going out to eat at fine establishments(very rare as of late)I hate too much service...if you've got a maitre'de, wine steward, server,servers assistant,busboy all asking you questions and sweeping crumbs off you placemat every time you take a bite it makes the meal too impersonal for me.
Mikes trip
Well then why?

Your story of a friend with a long warm vacation reminds me of my brother in law.Three(!!!!) weeks in the Cayman islands.
Yup,and last year my vacation was spent in a trailer in the north woods,tell me what am I doing wrong here?

Chuck....
I agree with Mike,you definitely need to upgrade your plugins.It's a crime to let all that perfectly good CPU go to waste.:rolleyes: :eek: :D :cool:

LATER!

DIY
Acidrock, there is a world of difference in my eyes between hanging a garage door and fixing puters. Because its seen from my perspective, I find practical skills easier to deploy. OTOH, my Brother in Law is an accountant and two weeks ago he called in an electrician to change a light bulb that had got a "bit stuck" in its holder!!!!:eek: $75 he was charged.Unbelievable, bloody unbelievable.
Red Wine
You are right, the pretense over wine puts a lot of people off. For the majority of decent red wine, thats only a few years old, it doesn't really matter. THat being said, its nice to stick your nose in a wine glass of freshly poured wine and smell the aroma, after swishing it round your glass a while to mix the air in with it. But if I was paying a lot of money for a wine in a restaraunt, I would want to know that it was all okay, so I would put up with the rituals;)
Vacation
Me and wifey are celebrating 25 years of wedded bliss in April and a few days later leave for Rome on a kid free long weekend in a five star hotel. Even has a two man jakuzzi in the suite:eek: The only thing is, I can't remember what to do in there:D Hopefully Rome should be quite warm by then;)

Back home this weekend to play with my DAW and mess about with all the BIOS options, including onboard midi. Chuck, I wanted your ASUS board but wasn't prepared to wait and the retailer threw in a f/card for free so I went with the audio version instead. And then disabled it:(

Red wine dinner tonight with a bunch of Musicians at my local pub, should be a good night:)
Later!

Back