DAW Users With ADD

These are my latest leanings.
Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend

Epiphone Les Paul Custom PRO Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend

Schecter Guitar Research C-1 Custom Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend

The Guitar Center near me only has the Schecter in stock. However, there is another GC that is near where my daughter lives that has the Schecter and the Les Paul Tribute in stock. I'm thinking of taking a ride there this week to check it out (and I can visit with my daughter at the same time).

The Les Paul Custom Pro must be new, and no one seems to have it in stock yet. Even Musicians Friend says they won't have it until later this month. The main difference with that and the Tribute appear to be the pickups - plus the Tribute comes with a case, and a better color selection.

The Schecter is interesting, but I suspect it is going to play and sound very much like the PRS I returned. Guitar Center is having another 15% off sale for Easter. Unfortunately they don't honor it for Epiphones - although they will for the Schecter. So in the end, all 3 guitars will costs around the same.

Those all look like pretty nice guitars,two of them have coil splitting,one has series parallel switching,I would lean toward the splitting as more versatile,but either way you're getting a nice variety of tones.

two of them have coil splitting,one has series parallel switching
Care to explain the difference. I assume that in series means one pickup is wired "through" the other, while parallel means the pickups are wired independently. However, not sure what that actually means in practice. The Les Pauls have two volume and two tone knobs, so how does that work if wired in series? :confused:

BTW, does anyone but me notice that there seems to be a trend away from pickguards with many guitars these days? Wonder what that's all about? Is it for aesthetics? Cost savings? I usually play with the pinkie and ring finger on my right hand resting below the strings. It's probably bad mechanics, but I have played that way for so long it would be hard to change. I worry that practice will mar the finish without a pickguard.
:D

You know I never ever really paid attention to that,but then again I've never had a guitar I was afraid to scratch.Probably the main reason I don't buy a 2K+ acoustic guitar is I'm afraid to scratch it all up.

Care to explain the difference. I assume that in series means one pickup is wired "through" the other, while parallel means the pickups are wired independently. However, not sure what that actually means in practice. The Les Pauls have two volume and two tone knobs, so how does that work if wired in series? :confused:
Coil splitting flat out gives you a single coil,the wiring change is more of a phasey kind of sound,a little harder to describe,there may be clips on youtube if you're really interested.

Here's another interesting one.
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra PRO Electric Guitar Faded Cherry Sunburst | Musician's Friend

It's similar to the two other Les Pauls I linked earlier, and has the same pickups as the Custom Pro. However (although it doesn't say it here), according to the Epiphone site this has a "chambered" mahogany body. That would certainly make it a bit lighter. Not sure how it would affect the sound, and I'm puzzled by a chambered body but without a sound hole?

This one also appears to be new and not in stock anywhere. Since I was in a waiting mode anyway, I might just stay back until these start arriving in some of the local stores.

Here's another interesting one.
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra PRO Electric Guitar Faded Cherry Sunburst | Musician's Friend

It's similar to the two other Les Pauls I linked earlier, and has the same pickups as the Custom Pro. However (although it doesn't say it here), according to the Epiphone site this has a "chambered" mahogany body. That would certainly make it a bit lighter. Not sure how it would affect the sound, and I'm puzzled by a chambered body but without a sound hole?

This one also appears to be new and not in stock anywhere. Since I was in a waiting mode anyway, I might just stay back until these start arriving in some of the local stores.

It's got a pickguard too!

There might be a wee bit of influence on the sound,but I think the chambers are mostly for weight saving,if anything you might lose some sustain.Some people say that chambers or hollow bodys introduce tone to an electric but I think it's minimal.

There might be a wee bit of influence on the sound,but I think the chambers are mostly for weight saving,if anything you might lose some sustain.Some people say that chambers or hollow bodys introduce tone to an electric but I think it's minimal.

Wow, there are major discussions on this topic all over the internet, and opinions are all over the place as well. Many say a chambered body increases resonance while decreasing sustain. However, according to Gibson, BOTH resonance and sustain are increased. Who to believe?? :)

Chambering the Les Paul: A Marriage of Weight and Tone
Of course, Johns reminds us, “no two guitars sound or react the same,” even side-by-side examples of the same model, which is part of the beauty and appeal of a finely crafted instrument. But taking the chambered Les Pauls as a whole, Johns says some common threads emerge as a result of the process: “Acoustically the guitars are louder, and we have also noticed increased sustain and resonance. Customers are echoing the same conclusions with their new Les Pauls on various guitar forums, too.”

My thinking is that if there is this much debate on the issue, the differences must be slight. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Wow, there are major discussions on this topic all over the internet, and opinions are all over the place as well. Many say a chambered body increases resonance while decreasing sustain. However, according to Gibson, BOTH resonance and sustain are increased. Who to believe?? :)

Chambering the Les Paul: A Marriage of Weight and Tone

My thinking is that if there is this much debate on the issue, the differences must be slight. :rollyeyes:

Whatever differences there are,they are not as big as a difference as scale,pickups and amp.Those are your main ingredients to tone.No one argues the difference between these.

Whatever differences there are,they are not as big as a difference as scale,pickups and amp.Those are your main ingredients to tone.No one argues the difference between these.
Agreed. As well as strings, pick, (thickness, material, technique) and left hand technique.

But if you got a strat and loaded it with humbuckers it would sound like an LP. Mostly. Except different.:D

Agreed. As well as strings, pick, (thickness, material, technique) and left hand technique.

But if you got a strat and loaded it with humbuckers it would sound like an LP. Mostly. Except different.:D

Good thing the player doesn't have much to do with it... otherwise I would be in big trouble. :D :D

BTW, I'm going on Friday to look at one of the Epi Les Paul's and the Schecter Custom. I'm actually leaning toward the Epi with the series/parallel switches (Tribute) - but obviously not for that reason. Although I would like to have the coil splitting feature, the Tribute offers a carved maple top (rather than veneer), nicer colors, real Gibson pickups, strap locks, and includes a case. It's $50 more than the Custom Pro (but the case alone is worth $79) and it's the same price as the Custom Ultra.

Wish me luck. :rolleyes:

Good thing the player doesn't have much to do with it... otherwise I would be in big trouble. :D :D

BTW, I'm going on Friday to look at one of the Epi Les Paul's and the Schecter Custom. I'm actually leaning toward the Epi with the series/parallel switches (Tribute) - but obviously not for that reason. Although I would like to have the coil splitting feature, the Tribute offers a carved maple top (rather than veneer), nicer colors, real Gibson pickups, strap locks, and includes a case. It's $50 more than the Custom Pro (but the case alone is worth $79) and it's the same price as the Custom Ultra.

Wish me luck. :rolleyes:
At the end of the day you've got to like playing the guitar,if any of that other stuff gets to you down the road it can always be changed.

I have seven six string electrics not counting my laps and the one that gets played the most is my el cheapo Danelectro Hodad.

That Fender scale changes everything,I played guitar for thirty years before I found that out.

At the end of the day you've got to like playing the guitar,if any of that other stuff gets to you down the road it can always be changed.

I have seven six string electrics not counting my laps and the one that gets played the most is my el cheapo Danelectro Hodad.
I think you can pretty much get used to playing anything. I didn't like my Taylor at all when I first got it. Action was too high and I felt like it was fighting with it. Now I don't even think about it. I suspect you keep reaching for the Danelectro BECAUSE you keep reaching for the Danelectro. In other words, you've gotten used to it and it will stay that way so long as you keep playing it preferentially.

BTW, doesn't look like a bad guitar for $300.

I think you can pretty much get used to playing anything. I didn't like my Taylor at all when I first got it. Action was too high and I felt like it was fighting with it. Now I don't even think about it. I suspect you keep reaching for the Danelectro BECAUSE you keep reaching for the Danelectro. In other words, you've gotten used to it and it will stay that way so long as you keep playing it preferentially.

BTW, doesn't look like a bad guitar for $300.

I paid $150 on closeout,it's made from masonite and has tape binding,its part of the charm.:D

BTW,I probably play electric guitar about 10-20 hours a year,it's a wonder any of my electrics get played at all.

I mostly play an acoustic with high action and heavy strings,it's the guitars with the superfast necks and wimpy strings that I can't stand.My nicest necked guitar by far is my Tele and I never play it.

If you like wide necks, you should string that one with only 6 strings. :)

FWIW, I also don't like superfast necks and wimpy strings. Although I played a telecaster in GC recently, and the neck felt like a baseball bat. And not one of those narrow-handled bats the players use these days. I'm talking the old Mickey Mantle, Harmon Killebrew types.

BTW2, howcum Paul gets a big, important promotion, and suddenly has lots more time to post here? Some things never change. :D

Because now I have a Strategic role where I'm expected to do deep thinking and figure out decisions that will decide how the company operates in the next five to ten years. As opposed to my prior, tactical role where I had to make a decision every five mintes that would decide how the company operates for the next ten minutes.;)

This means that I can do my deep thinking when I'm in the pool, or the bar or fancy restaurant; even when I'm posting here. FYI, I'm lying around the pool at present where its 89 deg.

The only way I could have improved my last job was to be on vacation permanently and get paid for it. So it looks like my ambitions have been achieved! :cool:

Because now I have a Strategic role where I'm expected to do deep thinking and figure out decisions that will decide how the company operates in the next five to ten years.
I have spent a long time studying management, and my conclusions are that this role is relatively easy. You just figure out how much longer you will be there, and then develop a plan that has a tremendous payoff the year after you leave. So, for example, if you plan on retiring in 5 years, you need to start working on your 6-year plan. Of course the plan will involve high level meetings at 5 star restaurants, and location scouting trips to planned factory sites in various tropical islands, and a lot of hangovers... whoops, I mean work-from-home days.

I have spent a long time studying management, and my conclusions are that this role is relatively easy. You just figure out how much longer you will be there, and then develop a plan that has a tremendous payoff the year after you leave. So, for example, if you plan on retiring in 5 years, you need to start working on your 6-year plan. Of course the plan will involve high level meetings at 5 star restaurants, and location scouting trips to planned factory sites in various tropical islands, and a lot of hangovers... whoops, I mean work-from-home days.
Sounds exactly like my job goals and objectives.:D

Wifey and I have just got home from a business dinner with wives present on a roof top terrace overlooking the sea, watching the yachts cruise past all lit up. You'd hate it.:eatpopcorn::rolleyes:

:D

BTW,I have one of these too.

Danelectro-12-String-Guitar.jpg

Cool guitar, man.

Although, what's with the "textured tape binding on the sides"?

Back