DAW Users With ADD

Well, I did get up early enough this morning to watch the World Cup final - OK, the second half. Brazil won. Balance has once again been restored to the galaxy.

Guys, have any of you bought or contributed to the HomeRecording.com Compilation CD? Sonusman and Slackmaster have brought it up in the past week, citing the fundraising aspect of it. I didn't know the site was hurting for $$, so I'm getting one. There's a forum devoted to it I believe.

Just with info we've given each other, it's worth it, I guess. Too bad it hasn't been hyped a bit better...

You'll all be pleased to know that I'm re-thinking my monitor strategy:)

Maybe I'll be better off with keeping my present monitors (not quite upto Fisher Price standard) and buy a new microphone instead. On the other hand.....;)

Yes, I've always noticed that you Yankees have lots of holiday days off...we get our own back by having at least 4 weeks vacation on top of our statutory days.:D

The 4th July reference doesn't hurt me, I look at George W. Bush and think what a lucky escape we all had:D

We also have Sunday off so we can all go to church. Even athletes have to go to church, thats the reason Wimbledon isn't played on Sunday, only if rain forces a schedule problem. (Thats not really the answer but I don't really know why Wimbledon isn't played on Sunday. ) Maybe it is cos we are too starchy:)

BTW, whats t-ball?

Acidrock, I am dead jealous that you are going to a rock concert, the tables have turned full circle. Time was when Brit rock ruled the world, now we only produce mediocre (at best) music. There is a real discussion going on at Government Ministerial level as to why 6 weeks ago, for the first time since 1961 (?) no British performer was in the US top 40 in either the album or the single charts. This is bad for UK export business, apart from anything else. But I promise you, its not that the bands don't have the talent, they are just not being signed up. Its all commercial bubblegum rubbish that the labels are interested in now.

And well done that you spotted SRV before he hit the big time. Guitarist magazine voted him Best blues Player of all time last year. Covet those albums.

Chuck, I saw a thead in the Dragons Cave about the financial problems on this site, but I didn't stop to read it, didn't realise it was that serious. How do we know its true? Surely Dragon would have emailed us all? Thats what Waldo did @ Nowhere Radio when he was threatened recently. If this was to close it would be a disaster of mega proportions.:mad:

But getting on the forum has been a real problem in the past two weeks, so maybe there is an issue to deal with here.

I'll check out the details and post back later.

Keeping the old farts posting going

Okay mates, I've been away for a while and have had withdrawl symptoms so I thought I would inject some new material to get your creative juices going again, to make this thread get to 10 pages.

Mike/Chuck, I saw your posts in the CW forum about making music. I haven't recorded seriously since Spring, cos I'm embarassed to say that besides music, the other love in my life is.....gardening! Not everyones cup of tea, but for some reason, it is mine. So late Spring, Summer and early Autumn (Fall) sees me spending most of my spare time on my gardens and very little on music. I tend to listen a lot but just don't perform or record. So each Autumn, I have to almost re-learn my guitar playing again, although I do tend to write stuff during the "gardening" period, so I have fresh material to work on when I get round to it.

As I get older, I am acutely aware of the time element of what we do, there just seems so little of it, I resent wasting my time having to sleep. And music and gardening, hillwalking, watercolour painting, woodwork and house modelling/DIY are all huge absorbers of time, (all my interests) let alone family life and holding down a responsible job.

Mike, I read your post on your current project with interest, the great thing about doing this stuff for a pastime is that you can forever mess around with it, there are no deadlines to meet apart from your own. Thats why I have so many "works in progress", I am always thinking to go back and change them all.

But once you get into a group situation, you have to let go, you have to complete, and that can be hard. Its the same at work when I see software engineers working on a project for over two years and then D Day comes and they almost cry cos they want to keep messing with their "baby". So I fully understand what you are going through.

I still haven't bought my monitor speakers but have decided upon the midiman Audiophiles. But they will have to wait cos I have just bought a new hi-fi system and speakers which have blown a huge hole in my family finances. But the sound is to die for and the CD player plays CD-RW's! So my DAW monitors will have to wait until my birthday in September.

Acidrock, what u up to lately? Still recording despite family invasions of privacy?:) I saw youir recent posts in the CW forum, seems like we are getting a lot more newbies in now, as Sonar increases in popularity but I also see that we get a lot of PA9 owners posting too. They must be old stock that the shops are selling off cheap?

Catch you all later, mates.:D

There never seems to be enough time to do the things you want to do once you find them
Line from time in a bottle by Jim Croce

I was very surprised and peased to see this thread reopened this morning.
As far as the gardening thing I once heard the line that would apply here,
A man who limits his interests limits his life

I consider recording to be a different yet intertwined hobby from playing music.It seems as though in the last year and a half since I got my first computer I've been spending all my time learning how to use my setup.
But finally things have leveled off and now I've been actually playing my instruments again and hope to have something to show for it soon.But in the end any time spent toolin' around with the ol' toy's is good.
Man I'd knock out a song in one night when I had a four track casette.It took a week or two with my vs880.
And these computers are supposed to help you get your work done faster?
Well training camp starts in two weeks and the king of all sports NFL FOOTBALL will resume.
It's funny that while I've seen the packers quite a few times at county stadium before the Packers quit playing there I've only been to Lambeau feild once and it was about 88 dregrees that day,hardly what you'd call frozen tundra.Tampa Bay was their opponent that day and lost to the Pack which is somewhat of a tradition around here.

I've only been to Lambeau feild once and it was about 88 dregrees that day,
Paul, just so you know, that's really about 32oF in Milwaukee. They have a somewhat distorted sense of temperature.

Yeah, but c'mon. . . gardening?? Should I imagine that the arthritis prevents you from crocheting. :)

You guys raise some good points. My hobbies were music and computers. When I discovered computer recording, it was like they had merged into one. Of course, the downside was that now I was forced to really hear what my music sounded like. Somehow it always sounded much better before I started recording it.

But once you get into a group situation, you have to let go, you have to complete
I'm sure you are right, Paul. Unfortunately I can listen to something 500 times, but the 501st time I hear a problem I never heard before. Our group did our first CD 4-5 years ago. When I listen to it now, I cringe to think we let it go out that way (although I'm sure we must have thought it sounded good at the time). That's what scares me about this one.

The first CD was done in a studio, and I know we made some compromises due to costs. There was always a trade-off between making something better, and how much it would cost you to do it. That was actually one of the reasons we decided to invest in our own recording equipment. Now if we wanted to spend 6 months working a song we could do so without worrying about money.

Of course there were other trade-offs. First, someone had to learn to work the stuff (tada - yours truly, which is how I originally found this web site). Secondly, the equipment (primarily the mics) was "entry level." And lastly, the recording area was an untreated basement. Now we've got all the time in the world (notwithstanding your earlier comments, Paul), but subpar facilities. And, of course, we expect the result to be equal to commercial quality.

Enough for now. I'll keep you posted as things progress.

BTW, how'd you guys manage to miss my Great Pro Mastering Debate in the mp3 clinic?

Paul, good call, reviving this thread. I'm sure there are lots of great gardening songs coming our way....

"Under my (green) thumb"
"Octopus's Garden"
....and anything by Robert Plant

Acidrock, 88 degrees....Is that the Kelvin scale? that's about -165 Celsius. Sounds about right. Hey, does everyone out there want to lynch Bud Selig for Tuesday night?

Mike, I finished up a CD about a year and a half ago. I tracked everything on my VS880 and had it mixed down in ProTools. Made a hundred copies and put together all the CD's by hand including artwork. 18 months later and comfortable with Sonar, I'm still tweaking some of those songs. I'm flying in tracks from the 880 via s/pdif and turning the VS projects into Sonar files. Many of the tunes had midi triggered drums and I'm adding real drums to improve the feel and the overall sound. I'm redoing many of the guitar and bass parts as I now have better mics, mixers and increased know-how. So, you can get into a situation where it never ends. I have subordinated this activity to working on new material, however. So when I'm kicking around with nothing to work on with the new stuff, that's when I go back and tweak the old stuff.

I'm sure there are lots of great gardening songs coming our way....
"Under my (green) thumb"
"Octopus's Garden"
....and anything by Robert Plant

LOL. But you left out:
Green Onions (Booker T and the MG's)
Garden Party (Ricky Nelson)
It's Growing (The Temptations)
... and anything by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

Well I gotta say ol' Bud aint the most popular guy around these days,but it started way before the all star game.
We conspiracy theorists believe that he's afraid to have a good team because that would blow his small markets can't compete " schtick right out the window.
As far as the all star game there's good luck and there's Bud luck,nobody's ever going to acuse Mr.Selig of being "slick"!
Oooh...I'm really looking forward to that players strike.....do soccer players ever go on strike?
Hmmm...there may be one advantage to that sport.
I can say myself that I have been in every luxury box,locker room and office in the new Miller park, of course it was while working on it as a construction worker.:(

Dachay is'nt New Jersey the Garden State?

Reading back a question I missed of Paul's...

T-ball is a cruel torture/ritual that parents are made to go through for some long forgotten societal reasons.
It resembles baseball but it's even slower and is devoid of highlights(kind of like soccer).The object of the game is to not fall asleep and pretend you're having a great time while kid's try and hit the ball off a "tee" with a bat.
The rest of it is somewhat like a blooper reel of baseball plays.
Well I gotta go to work men...later!!!

Tee-ball is actually baseball for little kids, except the ball is not thrown (pitched) to the batter to hit. Rather, the batter hits the ball off a stationary pedistal called a tee. (However, I think I like acid's explanation better.)

Now, Paul, you need to explain to me how they manage to magnetize the soccer ball when teaching 6-year olds to play. 5000 square yards or so of playing field, and everyone ends up in a 1 foot circle around the ball.

And, yes, AR, NJ is the Garden State. What else would you call 8,800 sq. miles of concrete and macadem. :) However, if you've never had Jersey corn or tomatoes, you just don't know what you're missing.

Chuck, I'm in mourning from the Yankee loss yesterday. The blew an early 7-0 lead, and a 7-4 lead in the bottom of the 9th with Mariano giving up a grand slam. Ripped my heart out.

Hey mates! Good responses.:) I wasn't sure whether or not to resurrect this thread or let it wither on the vine. So I am very pleased to get the positive responses, thank you. Being away from home, I need all the links to friends and familiar people that I can get.

Acidrock, thank you for your sympathetic relpy:

And thanks to all of you for your "kind" references to songs I might like connected with my alternative pastime. Don't give up your day jobs for comedy writing is all I will say.

It made me feel much better about my fessing up about gardening.

Mike, I guess I'm older and sadder than I thought. Thing is about getting older, you just don't give a damn about what others might consider to be eccentric behaviour. Do y'all remember the film "On Golden Pond" with the old man Fonda playing the eccentric old git? I aspire to be like that. Likes what he likes, does what he does and doesn't give a damn bout how anybody thinks about it. Cool:cool:

Aka Magnetising the soccer ball. :D Its nice to know you have the same problems with your kids as we have in the UK! They don't understand the reasoning behind tactical positioning and such like. Its like watching flies around a moving cow turd. (sorry for that parallel, I just couldn't help it).

I can share your pain at the T-ball but fortunately/unfortunately, I had daughters so I had to endure ballet lessons, "plinka plonka" piano lessons and pony riding. I would have given anything to be out there on the side of a soccer filed watching the "boys" play, but listening to my friends experience (same as yours), I don't feel I missed anything! At least the ballet teacher was cute to watch:)

As far as people being from Milwaukee exaggerating temperature, I fully understand this point. a) cos I'm from England and b) cos we have the Scots living just to the North and they think anything over 35 Deg F is tropical and walk around in skirts and T shirts. And thats just the men!

Acidrock wrote:

I consider recording to be a different yet intertwined hobby from playing music.It seems as though in the last year and a half since I got my first computer I've been spending all my time learning how to use my setup.

Sometimes, I cannot differentiate recording from my music they are so intertwined. Recording has given me so much more "width" to my playing and understanding. Its like the difference between trying to paint a real picture as against a painting by numbers excercise.

ChuckU wrote:

18 months later and comfortable with Sonar, I'm still tweaking some of those songs

And of course, I keep messing about all the time with my old stuff. The effort to learn all this technology is immense, I often wonder if newbies fully appreciate what they are getting into. I know I didn't. But the travelling is better than the arriving. And as I never "arrive", I always enjoy the journey, even if it is frustrating. But if it ever got professional, then it might be a different story.

Must go now, money to earn. Mike, keep up the body concreting in the Garden State, Acidrock, look after that sense of "acidic" humour and ChuckU keep makin music! Catch you all later.

Busted! Doh!

Yeah, I finally broke down. My brother just bought a 22' boat, so this was an easy one.
"Hey honey, look. My hobby's much cheaper than his." Thanks, bro ;)

BTW, Mike, I hope you don't mind, but I downloaded "...Rain" from Nowhereradio. Ill try to add some (tasteful) electric guitars if I ever find I can play tastefully.

Pedro's still not right. Nomar's not right. Not making excuses, but this weekend could bring about the typical August collapse a bit early. For some reason, Mussina's best comes out against the Sox. Even with Baltimore that was true. I'll be watching tonite.

All right Chuck!!!
I've been using the same ploy for years as a lot of my friends have Harleys.
"Gee honey,it's cheaper than a Harley."

BTW, Mike, I hope you don't mind, but I downloaded "...Rain" from Nowhereradio. Ill try to add some (tasteful) electric guitars if I ever find I can play tastefully.
Not at all. Go to it. Key of A. The chords are pretty straightforward, but if you need them, let me know.

If you come up with anything good, I'll even send you a CD of the .bun file (or you can send me a wave of the track). Could be fun (for me anyway, alls I gots to do is listen).

It pouring rain here at the moment, which knocked out my sattelite dish, so I have no idea what's going on in the Yanks-Boston game (or if they're even playing).

Don't worry, Acid, football's coming soon.

ChuckU said:
Well, some people consider the Packers to be a major league team...
At least they were back in the '60's when they had a coach from NJ.

BTW, Acid, did you know there's a rest stop on the NJ Turnpike named after Vince? Not sure if that's an honor or not. We have another one named after the guy who wrote, "I think that I shall never see, a poem as lovely as a tree..." Joyce Kilmer (bet you thought he was a broad!)

Mike, football is already here for weeks - the World Cup has come and gone! And now the football seasons around the world are just about to "kick off" (scuse the pun). Everywhere except the US of A that is.:( Thats not football - its "run-a-ball" and it keeps stopping all the time.

Cricket is coming to a close soon in favour of a real mans game - Rugby. :) Lots of bodily contact and minimal body protection.

So Chuck is out spending his dosh, I noticed acidrock resisted the temptation to comment on my recent hi-fi purchases. Maybe he's sulking cos "she who must be obeyed" won't let him spend his $$$ on anymore gear?

If all my friends had Harleys my lady would prefer me to have one too instead of messing around with puters, music and stuff.

I see Waldo is having a real hard time financing Nowhere radio. Do you think NWR will survive?

BTW, I have just paid $1300 for a pair of Hi Fi speakers and I only now realise what I have been missing all these years. The clarity and detail is amazing. I have had to listen to all my CD collection again to hear what I have been missing all this time. So I'm saving now for a better pair of monitors:rolleyes:

New mic on the horizon too, I'm looking at a condenser, either a Rode NT1 or an AKG C3000.

Catch you all later.

Paul,
Nice to hear from you. Gotta do something about this sporadic attendence. Isn't gardening season over?
BTW, If you missed my thread in the mp3 forum, check out my first song here. It's a new one and needs a remix. My monitors are supposed to get here today :D so I have an excuse to use 'em right away.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1400&alid=-1

I got Waldo's email too. I sent away for the Compilation CD for this site a few weeks ago. Where is it Slackmaster? I hear it's great. Will report.
If Waldo decides on how he wants to fund Nowhere, I probably will contribute something. It's nice to have it, although I will eventually put together a website of my own. Someday. In the future. When I have some time. Soon. Maybe. If she lets me.

Thanks for your quick reply, Chuck. The sporadic posting is cos I'm working on this management change consultancy in S. Wales and am away from home during the week. A real drag, and its a tough assignment too. Lots of lay-offs planned. I need some brightness in my life:)

Talking of which, I just heard your song, excellent stuff :D Love the acoustic guitar, what is it and how did you record it? The drums are right up front, nice and fat, you'll probably get some comments about it being too up front. Its always difficult mixing acoustic and electric stuff together to make it all sound integrated.

I see you are getting your new monitors - lucky man. I've just had a real kicker, bought the new hi fi speakers and realise what cheap monitors can do for your mix. So I'm hangin on til I can get bigger and better ones.

If Waldo is stuck for cash, I might help out too. Let me know how the comp. CD sounds.

Back to Wales for me tomorrow:( I'll post back at the weekend.

Keep makin music.:cool:

Back