DAW Users With ADD

Hey all you electric guitar freaks... what would you recommend for a reasonably priced pedal effects. Something relatively straightforward with maybe some distortion, sustain, chorus, etc. If it makes any difference, it's for a Strat.

I know nothing about these things, but I told someone I'd pick some brains for a recommendation. Now if I only knew where to find some brains. :D

Hey all you electric guitar freaks... what would you recommend for a reasonably priced pedal effects. Something relatively straightforward with maybe some distortion, sustain, chorus, etc. If it makes any difference, it's for a Strat.

I know nothing about these things, but I told someone I'd pick some brains for a recommendation. Now if I only knew where to find some brains. :D

What's your budget?

Mike, check out the Line 6 range of POD's; I swear by them. I have the XT which means I can hook it up to my puter via USB and download a zillion different tones that other users have created if I want and save them to my POD. It has modelled amps and stomp boxes and I use mine in conjunction with a seperate floor board box for changing tones with my foot, and includes a foot-pedal for wah-wah and volume. I also use my puter to model sounds using the range of modelled amps and stomp boxes. If you want to create a Texas blues sound dial up a Fender Blackface for example and adjust the controls as if you had the actual amp in front of you. And then save it to your POD.How cool is that?

I have tried other tone boxes in the past like Zoom and Digital but they always had hiss and are noisy so I didn't rate them too highly.

Of course, you could always go for a pure pedal but you end up with several to give you what you want i.e. chorus, reverb, overdrive, distortion etc.

Whatever box you choose, it doesn't matter what type of electric guitar you have but some tones are better suited for single coils than humbuckers and vice-versa although playing around with the settings means you can usually get exactly what you want, irrespective of the axe you play.

Hey all you electric guitar freaks... what would you recommend for a reasonably priced pedal effects.
I would assume reasonably priced would be higher than the cheapest price.

Something relatively straightforward
Straightforward eh?That really depends on who's using it.ANY multieffect is going to have some menu scrolling but some can be set up as a row of stomp boxes for easy tweaking.This would be my #1 concern,is the person using it going to be turned off by the interface.There's more than one reason people still buy individual boxes.......

with maybe some distortion, sustain, chorus, etc.
This is the cool part,even the cheapest boxes have everything and multiple flavors of each.Your bases will be covered for most anything you can think of.

If it makes any difference, it's for a Strat.
I wouldn't worry about what kind of guitar,rather are you going to go through an amp and mic it or record direct?

It's a hard question to answer because there are so many options and any will work.Another consideration is how much is it going to get used?Do you need a pedal board or would you prefer a tabletop/rack unit so you don't have to bend over to program it?

I have a $50 el cheapo Korg multi effect I bought just for kicks,more a toy than anything.I used to have an RP7 multi effects but I ditched it,I'm more into the individual pedal thing now.Initially when I started recording I put effects,effects,effects on everything but now I'm concentrating on getting a good tone just from my guitar an amp.(which I still haven't done)

The weather
C-C-C-COLD!
Enjoying my four day weekend,my wife is going to work today,we'll see how that goes.:rolleyes:It'll get up over zero by the afternoon.I suceeded in eating and laying around all day yesterday.I may try and do something today.

LATER!!!

Up early as usual Guy?:) How about building a snowman and taking a picture of it and posting it here? That will give you something to do.;)

And how do you do multiple quotes like you did with Milke's post - I see the button bottom right but I don't understand how to use it.:o Well, I am a salesman remember.:) Or was.:(

Up early as usual Guy?:) How about building a snowman and taking a picture of it and posting it here? That will give you something to do.;)
Hell no,I aint going outside.I didn't even go into the mud room or the sunroom yesterday.:D

And how do you do multiple quotes like you did with Milke's post - I see the button bottom right but I don't understand how to use it.:o Well, I am a salesman remember.:) Or was.:(
You know I thought there was a multi quote button somewhere!

I just copy past the original quote and edit as needed.

What's your budget?

I'm gonna see the guy tonight, so I'll ask. I was thinking around $100, but I'll confirm.

I wouldn't worry about what kind of guitar,rather are you going to go through an amp and mic it or record direct?

As of now there are no plans to record it. I think he will use it two different ways. One is through an amp. The other is into a mixing board, and then listening via headphones.

There may be some recording down the line, but most likely it will be done by inputting the guitar into the mixing board and then taking the direct out signal from the board into the computer. IOW, I don't see him mic'ing the amp at any point.
Straightforward eh?That really depends on who's using it.
By straightforward I didn't mean easy to use. I meant that it didn't need to rub your back, or be able to connect to the internet, etc. In other words, not a lot of extraneous features. Just good tones.

However, now that you brought it up, I'm not sure how technically adept this guy is. So easy to use is not a bad idea.

Single use pedals?
I guess that would be an idea. When using more than one, do you simply daisy-chain them?
Mike, check out the Line 6 range of POD's;
Do they make effects pedals, or just amp modelers? I don't think this guy needs any modeling, just some simple effects.

You got more questions than aswers!
$100 would be on the cheap end:D,you can get all the effects but not many knobs/switches.Either lots of menu scrolling or very little tweakability.:eek:

I'd say POD and Boss are the nicer stuff.If you go into the mixer you're going to want some kind of modeling.Pod also has software/recording only solutions if it's a recording only situation.

If the guy is a technophobe,isn't going to use the effects a lot and doesn't want to spend money Danelectro makes individual pedals that sound good,but aren't road worthy.

Asking about effects and distortion is a loaded subject.Ask ten people the question and you'll get eleven different answers.

If you go into the mixer you're going to want some kind of modeling.Pod also has software/recording only solutions if it's a recording only situation.
He gets a pretty decent tone now, IMO, just running the strat right into the board. I add some reverb to it via the board.
$100 would be on the cheap end
I refer you to my o.p... "I know nothing about these things" :D

So what price range should he be considering?

What about something like this:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Floor-POD-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=150446

or this:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-ME20-Multi-effect-Guitar-Pedal?sku=152268

He gets a pretty decent tone now, IMO, just running the strat right into the board. I add some reverb to it via the board.

I refer you to my o.p... "I know nothing about these things" :D

So what price range should he be considering?

What about something like this:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Floor-POD-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=150446

or this:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-ME20-Multi-effect-Guitar-Pedal?sku=152268

Those are both nice.After a certain price point you get more knobs/pedals making tweaking in the heat of battle more user friendly.

Take that boss for instance,all I need to do is look at the picture and I can tell you safely I know how to work it without a manual.Still you need to scroll to get the knobs to perform the desired function.Taking it to the next level,but out of your price range would be something like this which every function has a dedicated knob and can be set up just like a regular pedalboard.....

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-ME50-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Pedal?sku=151304

Best of both worlds.:cool:

Now as Paul mentioned POD gives you access to an online tone library,but not with the pedal you listed,you would need to go up one notch to this....

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line6-Floor-POD-Plus-Multi-Effects-Pedal?sku=150212

a little more expensive,a little more intimidating but a lot more features.

If all my stuff were to burn up in a fire and I had to restart over again I would get a Variax guitar and a POD XT floor pedal.NO noise,instant recall of any tone/guitar combination that will sound exactly like the guy who uploads his patch.Alternate tunings to boot.

Of course if I were rich I'd have all the guitars,pedals,amps and wouldn't screw around with those crappy modellers.:D

I agree entirely with my snow-bound friend on his view of guitars and effects:cool: Variax guitar and Pod - mega:D

But I would have to have a seperate pod module and floor board - I couldn't keep bending over all the time to make my tweaks - unless I connected it to a laptop;)

But I would have to have a seperate pod module and floor board - I couldn't keep bending over all the time to make my tweaks - unless I connected it to a laptop;)

For me it's not so much the bending over,it's the squinting to see what in the hell it is you're adjusting.:(

Back