DAW Users With ADD

Cheers mate!:)

Thanks for the info on the Events, but they are a little out of my league price wise and size is a constraint too.

I might have a look at the M audio studiphile SP as well.

Looks like you and I are the only ones posting this weekend, Chuck.

Acidrock is probably still child minding, don't know where dachays gone to. Probably puting a body under some concrete somewhere in Nuw Joysie;)

don't know where dachays gone to. Probably puting a body under some concrete somewhere in Nuw Joysie
:) Actually I was in Toronto most of the week, just got back home tonight (Sunday).

The 20/20's are a tad expensive, Paul. You might want to look at the PS5's or PS6's. Smaller and priced a bit lower. The only monitors I've ever really worked on are the 20/20's. They are pretty good, but I think you can probably get similar results from something a little less expensive. I would worry a bit about the bass on 5 or 6 inch woofers, though. Maybe consider a subwoofer down the road a bit - although I think they are tricky to get balanced correctly.

Good luck. It's fun spending money, no? :)

And how about those South Koreans, huh? I guess they must be the talk of the entire world - with one exception.

Paul881 said:

... don't know where dachays gone to. Probably puting a body under some concrete somewhere in Nuw Joysie;)

Mike, I bet if Paul knew my last name ended in a vowel, he might think I was helping you with that body. Fahgettaboutit!:D

Yanks are in first. Doh!:mad:

Pass the pasta please, Chuck, mate:D My best friend is Italian so I often help him hide bodies:)

Mike, my neighbours have just come back from Toronto, they lived there for the past three years. We are giving a Homecoming party for them this coming weekend, also, so all our neighbours can watch the big match (World Cup Final) on Sunday at our house. You are right about Korea, everybody is now rooting for them apart from Italy and now Spain. These Koreans guys win on sportsmanship, attitude and fitness. We all have something to learn from them.

I'll look at the PS5 and 6's, thanks for the heads up on those.
Another week working in South Wales ahead. Oh boy:(

Paul881 said:
These Koreans guys win on sportsmanship, attitude and fitness.....

And a crappy out-of-bounds call from the assistant referee, no?
Replay made it pretty clear that the Spanish guy was in-bounds when he made that pass that would've won the game. Riots in Spain soon followed...
After the US loss to Germany and the 'inadvertant' hand ball, I think there were 2 or 3 Americans shouting expletives....nothing else was reported. :D

Why doesn't soccer use instant replay on disputed goals?

The NFL has a coach's challenge rule that if the call goes the other way after review, the team loses a timeout.

Replay helped my Patriots get into the Super Bowl this year. They were all but finished in the first playoff game, and after review (and probably a bribe or two - coach Belichick learned a few things while coaching in Jersey) got the call in their favor. Still behind, they marched down the snow-covered field in a drive reminiscent of Packer glory from the '60's (that one's for you, Acidrock) :)

Not thrilled about going to South Wales, Paul? What's it like, Cleveland?

marched down the snow-covered field in a drive reminiscent of Packer glory
Oh no, I'm hearing echos of, "and on the frozen tundra of Lambeau field. . ."

BTW, Chuck, I'm also half Italian (mother's side). I think it is a requirement if you want to live in NJ.

It's kind of weird though,my wife and kids can talk right at me and I don't hear them,yet I'm picking up things like little delays and reverbs on songs.
Acid, it's a little know fact that women happen to speak at a frequency that is inaudible to the male ear. Sometimes if you digitally record it and apply a pitch shifter to drop it 2 octaves, you can make out the words. In my experience, though, I've rarely found it worth the effort. Simpler to just smile and nod. :)

G.A.S.
G-ear
A-cquisition
S-yndrome
I've got bad G.A.S.,it's to the point that I get excited when somebody else is getting some gear.
Due to a cash crunch I probably won't be getting any gear soon,and the fact is I've got more than enough,but hey...more is more!
When that musicians friend catalog comes to my door it may as well be a Playboy magazine because I aint gettin' nuttin' from inside of it!
I've also got a picture posted on the aforementioned thread,I think I may take a few pictures of my humble collection of cheap gear and guitars so I can post them.I'm about one guitar away from sleeping in the garage.
As far as cheap equipment goes,damn I wish they had the stuff they have now at these prices when I was a kid.
These damn kids nowadays, in my day we'd walk twenty miles in the snow,uphill both ways, just to buy a used set of guitar strings and it cost weeks pay!!!
It's been pretty darn hard getting through these days between my crappy server and the infamous "there are too many people logged on" message.
I had completely forgotten about that call in the Pats/Raiders game....did'nt they change the rules because of that?
I would be better off telling you guys what nationalities I'm not because it would be less wear and tear on the ol' keyboard.

Mike wrote:

Acid, it's a little know fact that women happen to speak at a frequency that is inaudible to the male ear. Sometimes if you digitally record it and apply a pitch shifter to drop it 2 octaves, you can make out the words. In my experience, though, I've rarely found it worth the effort. Simpler to just smile and nod.

:D :D after 23 years married, I agree entirely. And I have two daughters to contend with too. Synchronised PMT. Maybe working in S. Wales during the week has its benefits. It is very quiet.....Maybe sleeping in the garage ain't so bad acidrock. Buy that guitar! Anyway, you cant childmind in a garage (another advantage of living in the garage)

Is it like Cleveland? Well not quite. The scenery is stunning but the actual place where I am working is Industrialised hell. More like Pittsburgh..... as it used to be. And the people have a reputation of being...well...like....Wesh. (Like the village people in "Deliverence".:)

Acid, your getting excited about other people buying gear is very funny, you must try to get out more. Its all that child minding, its affecting your reality.:) I know how you feel though, the planning going on behind my purchase of new monitors is intense, there are shops to visit, "stuff" to sort out, technical specs to pour over, demo's to experience, magazines and web sites to read......opinions to consider, the list just goes on and on.

On a more serious note, the huge increase in Sonar sales should have precipitated a greater throughput of newbies posting in the CW forum, but I don't really notice that. And yet getting online to HoRec in general is getting difficult and/or slow. Is the site experiencing more traffic? Whaddy'all think (Texas speak...impressive, huh? Well, for a Brit))

Chuck, the picture of the duck is exquisite, do you have its phone number.

Yep, the call in the Spain/Korea match was a bad one but thats life. For some reason, the soccer fraternity are dead against video replays, they have just introduced it in Rugby a couple of seasons back and it is a good system. Are you sure you don't like soccer cos you seem to be going to a lot of trouble watching a game you profess to not liking.:)

Re: Mike wrote:

Paul881 said:

...Are you sure you don't like soccer cos you seem to be going to a lot of trouble watching a game you profess to not liking.:)

Paul, I really only dumped on soccer for the following reasons:
1. To annoy you :D
2. To prop up other sports that Americans are good at.
3. The duck told me to. ;)

If I can get up early enough on Sunday (7am, my time), I'll watch the final.
Sunday afternoon I'm going to see an awesome Beatles tribute band with Brad Delp (singer from 'Boston') doing very impressive John and Paul voices.
Funny that when the Beatle sang there was no appreciable English accent to the American ear.

If we ever get together, you'll have to sing so I can understand you ;)...

Me, forget it. Most Americans can't understand my Boston accent.

"New England was settled first. The rest of you have accents. The Brits didn't teach us to pronounce 'r's...."

Is that soccer crap still going on?;)
Soccer is the game of the future,and it will always be!
But seriously folks,I do have a soft spot for soccer.I enrolled my five year old son in t-ball and man it's way to s-l-o-w for the attention span of a kid his age.
Wait fifteen minutes....hit a ball....fifteen miutes hit a ball.
Sit in the field and doze off waiting for dribblers.
From this standpoint soccer is great,all the kids get to run around like the little maniacs they are and burn off that seemingly undepleteable energy supply.
I would of enrolled him this year but we don't have any leagues until after kindergarten.
Of course when he gets older I will steer him to a real sport .

Da Beatles,I have been alternately praised and criticised for my love of that band.The only thing is I rarely listen to them any more as all of their songs have been burnt into my head.
We used to have a Beatles tribute band called the Britons,they were more based on the"look" than the sound.But I suppose being a musician I'm a little harder to please.

I have no accent as I am a midwesterner and we all speak perfectly.:D

I lied,I lied,I lied,
seems musicians friend has got their usual few times a year no interest deal going and cd creator 5 is only $89,I gotta get that and G,C and A harmonicas as mine have gone out of tune.
Damn I'm soooo weak!

Dachay are you still there?
The way soundblaster questions have been popping up there should be a forum dedicated to that subject alone.
I btw do not now nor have I ever owned or used a soundblaster.
There could be a FAQ dedicated to this subject alone.

I'd get out more but all my toys are at home,hmmmm.....maybe my family should get out of the house more!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Chuck/Acidrock, you can't insult me with your jibes about soccer cos I am above all that kind of childish stuff.:D (oh yeah, like since when?)

I know the true path of sports heaven and its nice to know that the USA's teenie weenies are getting the right coaching:)

Chuck, my Brother lives in Baltimore and speaks Balti so its kinda similar to Bost-onion.:p

I used to go to Texas quite a lot and I thought that was "true "America. But then I got better and realise the error of my ways now.:) Sorry for that.

Acidrock, you are a bad muddah. Spending all your family's cash on gear and stuff. Still, if they go out more thats more toys to play with and more room to store em and more music to make and louder noise levels to annoy the neighbors with. And no chores and errands to run.:D

Being away from home is disasterous, the ends of my guitar fingers are healing over. First time in two years. Lets hope thats all thats healing over:D :D :D

Soundblaster cards are the card that most people seem to start off with, I did, so you were lucky to escape that one acidrock. But they are great for soundfonts.

Paul,
Get your brother to pick you up a pair of Yorkville PS1's (I think). They're well-acclaimed monitors (I've never heard them), but they're just over $400 a pair and powered. Best price I've seen was Wheaton music in Wheaton, MD. Under an hour's drive from "Bal-mer" as the locals call it. My dad lives near Rockville.

My outlook on Sunday's World Cup final:

Germany's stingy defense and conservative play, backboned by Kahn's excellent goaltending, will be tested by Brazil's creative midfield play. Expect no miracles from the aging Oliver Bierhoff and company with the likes of Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, and Rivaldo taking chances and wreaking havoc in the German end of the field.
Germany has proven it can play well with the lead, but is also patient in waiting for it's opportunities. With arguably the world's greatest goaltender, they may employ the tactic of the Azzuri in the 1994 final: Italy clearly could not run with the South Americans and played conservatively, but eventually lost after regulation and overtime to free kicks.

How's that?

I'm very impressed........where did you copy that from:D

My read of the game? Those lucky bastard Germans had an easy ride all the way in as usual and despite the fact that they play boring negative soccer (too many passbacks and possession playing, no risk taking) they have been lucky to get through.

Brazil have players of real personal genius, Rivaldo is a real danger. And Ronaldo although he is waning somewhat.

Brazil to win by a single goal in extra time, the systematic play of Germany being countered by the attacking play of Brazil.

If Germany win, the whole of Europe will be mightily pissed off.

I hope Brazil win by a cricket score (i.e. a "lot" of goals:D )

I will do some research on the Yorkies and get back to you.

It's the YSM1P. $209 ea.
http://www.wheatonmusic.com/yorkvill.htm

Do a search. They've been mentioned a lot. So if you get 'em and like 'em, I'll have me dad get a pair. hehe ;)

My soccer blather was wholly improvised. I figured by being vague enough I could BS with you experts. I did watch that Italy/Brazil final way back when.........ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

I mean, how tough could it be to analyze? It's just hockey in slow motion:D :D :D :D :D

Cheers, mate!

I'm very impressed........where did you copy that from
Actually, Paul, the duck told him.

Hey, you guys are starting to double up on me here. I guess I've got to catch up.

1. Oh no, Red Sox are back in first :(
2. And speaking of hockey, Chuck, while I was in Toronto last week the hotel I stayed at was also where alot of the players were staying for the NHL draft. I saw Rick Nash(?) in the lobby (the #1 draft pick) with a small entourage of teenage girls following him. A lot of people wanted to get his autograph - personally, I was more interested in the teenage girls. :) And just for the record, I care about hockey about as much as I do soccer.
3. Paul, buy some f'ing speakers already. Don't worry about making the wrong decision. That's why they have e-bay. :)
4. Acid, please repeat after me. "My name is acidrock and I am a gear-a-holic." (I'm sure acid wouldn't be taking so long to buy a pair of spakers.)
5. Isn't owning a SB Live about the equivalent of owning a Fisher Price Tape Recorder? (Although they are pretty cool for MIDI.)

Mike

Mike wrote:

Isn't owning a SB Live about the equivalent of owning a Fisher Price Tape Recorder?

rofl:D

At least its better than admitting to an ABBA record in your collection.

Ok, Ok. Ok, I'll buy some freaking monitors. The Yorkies are too big for my setup, but they do look tasty.

I will get to Digital Village next week and make my choice. Acidrock would have bought the store by now. I used to be indecisive once but now I'm not so sure........

Must go.....home time, catch you over the weekend from ENGLAND!

Paul

boring sports?

Ugh....
I took my boy to his t-ball game yesterday and just to give you an idea how painful it was I think if they forced the captured taliban to watch tapes of that game we'd know where Osama Bin Laden is right now!

Not only are our sports different but our holidays too,you've got...

Fourth of July
Thanksgiving
Presidents day
Mlk day
Flag day
Coulumbus day

Am I missing something?
Paul I hope the 4th of July one does'nt get under your skin.

It's on days like these I wish I worked for the government!

http://www.summerfest.com/
Here'z wut youse guyz are missing dere hey!
This festival is HUGE.
I've been going there for years and one of my most memorable occasions was seeing Stevie Ray Vaughn before he even had an album out.
It's not very often a person can say he is ahead of the curve musically but when I seen him I just waited for an album to come out and then jumped on it(and the subsequent ones).
I used to go 6 to 8 of the 10 days but due to marriage/money/kids I'll be attending a grand total of one day.:(

Oh well...I'll be seeing Ted Nugent,Milwaukee is a Nugent town
High brow masterpiece theatre type stuff to be for sure!:D

BTW I hear fisher price is coming out with a my first monitors line.;)

AR - you left out Memorial Day and Labor Day and Mike's Birthday (hmmmm... then again, maybe that one is celebrated in England).

I did happen to notice that both countries celebrate Father's Day - since that is where Paul got the "monitor" money that he has chosen to hoard. (Maybe you should check out those My First Monitors, Paul :) ).

I think at this point (Sun morning) someone has finally won the World Cup, and Paul can turn his full attention to Wimbledon. Although those starchy Brits, for some reason, gave all the players a day off today. They're 20 year old athletes making a gazillion dollars a year - why do they need a day off? You don't see that at the US Open. :D

Back