DAW Users With ADD

It's Saturday
No big plans this weekend,just catching up on things that should've been done weeks ago.I'm sore,we've been busy at work.
If it's as nice as it's been the last few days I will finish the night sitting on the deck drinking beer.I may take a dip in the pool,which is only slightly colder than the beer.:eek::eek::eek:

F**k Fords
My front brakes siezed up yesterday.I have a 2002 F150 with 45,000 miles and it's been a total POS.I've already had them fixed at 30,000.My last truck was a 92 Ranger and that while not as bad still had it's share of problems.:mad:
I'm not going to be in the market for quite some time,but when I do buy I'm getting myself a Toyota,they're more American than a Ford.:rolleyes:

LATER!!!!

I'm getting myself a Toyota,they're more American than a Ford.:rolleyes:

LATER!!!!
I don't know about that, but they certainly run better. :cool:

I stopped buying American cars about 20 years ago. Something was always wrong with them. Since then I've bought nothing but Japanese. Drive them off the lot, and you never have to go back to the dealer again until you need another one.

It's a sin, because I would actually like to buy American. Someone has to explain to me how Toyota can build cars in the U.S. and have no problems with them... but GM, Ford or Chrysler can't seem to accomplish the same thing.

I don't know about that, but they certainly run better. :cool:

I stopped buying American cars about 20 years ago. Something was always wrong with them. Since then I've bought nothing but Japanese. Drive them off the lot, and you never have to go back to the dealer again until you need another one.

It's a sin, because I would actually like to buy American. Someone has to explain to me how Toyota can build cars in the U.S. and have no problems with them... but GM, Ford or Chrysler can't seem to accomplish the same thing.

It's because Japanese management techniques are based on extreme Quality Management systems. Nothing is new - the West developed these techniques originally but they took them to a new high. If you go to the main Toyota plant in the UK, the way that it is managed is exemplary - it a revelation to see it. By comparison, our indigenous manufacturing is sloppy - very sloppy.:( The Japanese system is based on the total elimination of waste and time.

My wife and I both drive German cars, and our two daughters drive Fords. You pays yer money and takes yer pick ;) Cars, that is, not my wife or daughters :rolleyes:.

Guy, I bet you can't wait to buy cars for your tribe? If we have any gasoline left in the world by then - or even a world left at all :(

:)

It's because Japanese management techniques are based on extreme Quality Management systems. Nothing is new - the West developed these techniques originally but they took them to a new high. If you go to the main Toyota plant in the UK, the way that it is managed is exemplary - it a revelation to see it. By comparison, our indigenous manufacturing is sloppy - very sloppy.:( The Japanese system is based on the total elimination of waste and time.

As you know Paul,I've done a lot of work in many different factories and I put a large part of the blame on lazy,incompetant union workers who don't give a rat's ass about anything and think their job is owed to them.I say this having been in a union and having many family members currently in the unions also.Never have I seen such blatant screwing off and inefficiency as what I've witnessed at auto plants.The sad part is the majority of these workers are unskilled yet their pay/benefits are usually as good or better than people in the trades.:mad:

My boy is going to get my wife's car should I allow him to live long enough.I haven't given thought to my daughter yet,I may be dead by then.

LATER!!!!

As you know Paul,I've done a lot of work in many different factories and I put a large part of the blame on lazy,incompetant union workers who don't give a rat's ass about anything and think their job is owed to them.
So Toyota gets around the problem by (having learned from GM and Ford) building their plant in Kentucky and using non-union labor??

I can't be as simple as that... yet if Paul is right about Japanese management techniques, GM, Ford, and Chrysler have had nearly 30 years to adapt the same techniques. Why haven't they been able to duplicate it??

I think part of it is American managements' focus on their own paycheck and this year's bottom line. Meanwhile the Japanese are looking 10 and 20 years down the road. You don't think it's coincidence that as this oil crisis has hit, the Japs and Koreans have cornered the market on small cars and alternative fuel cars - while the American mfgs are wondering who's going to buy their SUV's.

I can't be as simple as that...
As I said I put a large part of the blame on the workers.We all put our own experiences to the forefront.

As with most problems it's usually the cumulative effect of many smaller problems that creates a larger problem.

Part of the problem is guys like me who've put the American label over the end product.(and have paid for it).The wake up call should've came at the Arab oil embargo when the Japanese got their foot in the door and the big three responded with the likes of the Vega and the Pinto.:rolleyes:

I think part of it is American managements' focus on their own paycheck and this year's bottom line. Meanwhile the Japanese are looking 10 and 20 years down the road.

I think that would apply to more than the auto industry.But there's people who will switch all their investments around just for one more % of gains so it's a chicken/egg argument.

Interesting mini thread here!

The Japanese QA system includes the human element and so quality circles ensure maximum efficiency feedback loops to constantly improve the product and its manufacture - and the workers rewarded on that basis - including management.

In the UK during the 70's & 80's, Margaret Thatcher took on the might of the Unions and crushed them with legislation, refused to bail out failing companies, encouraged foreign inward investment and handed back the baton of control to management again.

Now we have the tri-problems of high cost of employee protection legislation from the European Union; an economic slowdown caused by a credit crunch (idiotic lending) and the high price of oil.

But back to auto plants - just how is it that the Japanese can build car plants in those same countries and have superb product quality, have a range of products that everyone wants; make a profit and no strikes whilst indigenous car manufacturers fail in every respect?

The answer is an unswerving holistic approach to the whole enterprise. Having been associated with Toyota closely here in the UK, they were one of the most demanding customers to deal with but once we had embraced their culture and understood what they wanted, they were very loyal and superbly professional to deal with. And we learnt an awful lot about how to implement and manage a QA system from them. It was based on a constant desire to eliminate waste and improvement to the product - it became embedded in your DNA.

But now manufacturing is shifting to India and China and they are embracing the same QA techniques and QA culture at much lower costs. Factory closurers here have been going on for years here as jobs move to the East so we are left with a largely service based economy. How sustainable that is will remain to be seen.

For sure we live in interesting times :confused:

:)

Oh and btw...
my wife has a Buick that I'm perfectly happy with.I'd definitely buy a Buick again.:D
It's only the exception that proves the rule!!

I'm telling you, buy Japanese. Not only will you get a car that has nothing at all wrong with it, but you'll be able to sell it in 5 years for better than half of what you paid for it. :cool:

Try that with a Buick.

I'm telling you, buy Japanese. Not only will you get a car that has nothing at all wrong with it, but you'll be able to sell it in 5 years for better than half of what you paid for it. :cool:

I don't sell my cars,I run them into the ground.That's why I'm pissed at my Ford,it's going to run me into the ground.:mad:
I figure I get better value buying a car brand new and taking it 150,000 than buying new every five years,especially because I don't drive much.I drive my company truck five days a week and my truck on the weekend.My wife works three ten hour days and her shop is less than five miles away.The grocery store is only a mile away,school is a block and a half away.On top of that we plan our trips to save on gas and time.

One of my most hated things in life is an extended service plan,basically you're betting on whatever it is you bought on breaking down.I'd rather spend the money up front on something better.

LATER!!!

Back