DAW Users With ADD

Paul: The wire connection from a CD player to a sound card is for using analog playback. You are correct, the Delta card's do not have this connection. What you need to do is set up your system to use digital playback. When you use digital playback, you do not require a wired connection between the CD player and the sound card.

I don't use WinAmp, but I'm sure it has this capablity. To use it in Windows Media Player, go to Tools > Options > CD Audio and check the Digital Playback checkbox. Look for a similar type configuration in WinAmp.

Some additional comments: the ability to extract digital audio is not equal among CD players. Particularly with older models, you may find the audio playback has pops and clicks. However, I suspect your CD burner will be OK, if not both of them.

Also, the playback will occur through whatever sound card you have your Windows sounds set for. If you want the playback through the Delta, you need to set up the Delta as the Windows default device (Control Panel > Sounds and Multimedia > Audio).

BTW, today is Sunday (FOOTBALL!!!!), so if you happen to read anywhere that the GB Packers lost, don't expect to see Acidrock here for a couple of days or so. (And you might want to send the police to his house to protect the wife and kids.) :)

Mike, Thanks for the information on the CD's, I'll mess around as you suggest and post back tomorrow (been to a Christening today for my nephew....drinking copius amounts of wine was involved:D )

As we speak, the Ravens are 18 down at the end of the third quarter and the Packers are 28-10 down in the 4th:( Looks like the Police will be around at Guys house later;)

See ya!

My lock o' the week, the Patriots, came through big time today. However, unfortunately, my prediction for a Packers' victory was somewhat off target. Do you think we should try and arrange for Guy's wife to take the kids and stay at her sister's for a few days?

Meanwhile, my Jints are taking it to St. Louis. Of course, it's still the first half. :)

Oh yeah, and tonight's the season opener for the Soprano's. NJ, Italians, and the mob - does it get any better than that. :D

So the Ravens failed to score a single point and Guy is off sulking somewhere, why do we do it?

Tomorrow is my birthday and tonight my team Aston Villa play their arch rivals Birmingham City for the first time in 16 years. Both are Birmingham teams, Birmingham being the country's second city after London. B.City football club won propotion to the Premier League at the end of last season so now the two clubs, who are only five miles apart, meet tonight in an all ticket high octane match that has been fuelled by the media over the last few days to fever pitch. Ason Villa had better win, it would be a bummer present for me if they lost. Even a 0-0 draw will do.

Half the city will be closing its bars today, from this afternoon onwards and Police will be out in force.

Don't you just love "friendly" rivalry:D

BTW, Mike, I use win 98 and in the Control Panel>multimedia, the Delta is highlighted okay as being the default playback device but in CD Music, the bit that says "Enable digital CD playback from this device" is greyed out, non selectable. Winamp plays it okay - but I can't hear it. And that goes for the other CD player as well, if I select that as the audio default playback device. Is this a driver issue?

Paul881 said:

BTW, Mike, I use win 98 and in the Control Panel>multimedia, the Delta is highlighted okay as being the default playback device but in CD Music, the bit that says "Enable digital CD playback from this device" is greyed out, non selectable. Winamp plays it okay - but I can't hear it. And that goes for the other CD player as well, if I select that as the audio default playback device. Is this a driver issue?
Paul - The Delta 66 has multiple in and outs, correct? I'm guessing you have playback set for 1/2, but your speakers are connected to 3/4 (or something like that). That's probably why WinAmp seems to play the CD, but you don't hear it.

When you look in Windows Control Panel/Sounds & Multimedia do you see multiple choices for the preferred playback device? Delta 1/2, Delta 3/4, etc. What do you have selected, and where do you have your speakers connected?

The only other reason I can think that WinAmp would play with no sound, would be if you still have it in analog mode. Were you able to setup WinAmp for digital playback? If so, then I would suspect the problem is with your playback signal path.

If this doesn't help, give me some more details on how you have everything connected.

Thanks Mike.

In Multimedia>Audio my wav playback is selected as delta 1/2 and my recording is PCM in delta 1/2.
My monitors are connected to the omni monitor outs.
My preferred Audio CD playback is set to drive G:\, which is correct.

My omni is connected to the delta66 card.

When a cd is playing in G:\, no levels activity can be seen in either the delta mixer or the winamp mixer. The only activity in winamp is the time line moving through the track as it is being "played".

I have searched through the Winamp preferences and I couldn't see anything that looked a likely candidate for enabling digital playback or similar. There were choices for Nulsoft plugins of different types, both inputs and outputs, encoders and decoders.

Thanks Mike.

In Multimedia>Audio my wav playback is selected as delta 1/2 and my recording is PCM in delta 1/2.
My monitors are connected to the omni monitor outs.
My preferred Audio CD playback is set to drive G:\, which is correct.

My omni is connected to the delta66 card.

When a cd is playing in G:\, no levels activity can be seen in either the delta mixer or the winamp mixer. The only activity in winamp is the time line moving through the track as it is being "played".

I have searched through the Winamp preferences and I couldn't see anything that looked a likely candidate for enabling digital playback or similar. There were choices for Nulsoft plugins of different types, both inputs and outputs, encoders and decoders. Is there anything else I can tell you that might give you a clue?

Cracked it!!!:D :D You gave me the clues I needed Mike, I simply upgraded my winamp player - and set it up properly for digital playback.

All I need now is for my beloved Aston Villa to beat the Blue noses tonight, got my keyboard tomorrow for my birthday...and got a day off too:D

Paul881 said:
Cracked it!!!:D :D You gave me the clues I needed Mike, I simply upgraded my winamp player - and set it up properly for digital playback.

All I need now is for my beloved Aston Villa to beat the Blue noses tonight, got my keyboard tomorrow for my birthday...and got a day off too:D
Glad you got it working. It's really not that difficult so long as the software player supports digital extraction (I was pretty sure WinAmp did, and you've confirmed it. I didn't think to ask you what version you were using.)

BTW, I already wished you a happy birthday last month - so I'm not doing it again. You are really milking this one. :D

Good luck with your soccer blokes tonight. I'm going to see my NFL team (NY Giants) next Sunday. After their unexpected victory yesterday, there might actually be a little juice in next week's game.

Thanks for the B'day wishes.I need to milk it all I can....me and Guy are in mourning cos our respective NFL and FA teams lost...Tonight my Aston Villa lost 3-0:( :( :(

Wife and kids are in hiding as we speak;)

PEEE----YEEWWWWW!!!!

WHATS THAT SMELL?

Do you smell it?

I do......

It's the Packers defense......
it really STINKS!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Oh well I guess I've been spoiled lately.I remember when they used to play at county stadium and we'd go in our coveralls when it was twenty degrees just to watch their asses get handed to them.Back then 8-8 was a good year!

That was the capper for my lousy weekend,
congrats to Mike and Chuck,
my sympathy to you Paul...

not about the game but about your birthday.;)

Somehow I think I'll get over it.:(

acidrock said:
PEEE----YEEWWWWW!!!!

WHATS THAT SMELL?

Do you smell it?

I do......

It's the Packers defense......
it really STINKS!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

You said it, not to mention the poor performance of their offensive line. I don't remember that last time I saw that kind of consistent pressure on my boy Brett. And he was pissed, not usual for him. He usually laughs at being two scores behind, but not yesterday. Ahman better wipe that sweat off his arms and stop dropping the ball too. THAT SUCKED! :mad:

acidrock said:

I remember when they used to play at county stadium and we'd go in our coveralls when it was twenty degrees just to watch their asses get handed to them.Back then 8-8 was a good year!
Sort of like watching the Giants these days - but without county stadium and the coveralls.

Sorry about your futbol team, Paul. 3-0, isn't that like pretty much a slaughter?? :D :D :D

Well, if Philadelphia beats Washington tonight, we will have a 4-way tie for first in the NFC Eastern Div. (that's out of four teams, Paul). How's that for parity? It could be the last time this season my Giants get even a sniff of first place (although if Philadelphia stumbles, it's anybody's division).

However, on the bright side, we are just about two weeks away from OCTOBER BASEBALL!!!

Auugghhhh!!!!!

You know it's a wonder I can record anything at all.....

after all these years the wife still does'nt get it.Here I am with my headphones on playing my guitar and sonar running with big time on the screen.
The wife comes downstairs and starts waving some papers in my face......
I keep on playing....
She keeps waving the papers....

Finally I'm so distracted I stop recording,I take off my headphones and in a disgusted voice tell her I was recording.:mad:
She then gets mad at me!Asks me why I'm so grumpy.:confused:

And for the umpteenthhundreth time I explain to her that you record a song straight through,and no you don't stop like you're folding laundry and then start again where you left off.

This reminds me of when I was playing out and people would walk up to me and start talking to me midsong and then stand there waiting for a reply.:rolleyes:

BTW the papers were some receipts from two years ago that she wanted to know what to do with.

Am I the only one who has to suffer these interuptions?
After years together is there any hope?

dachay2tnr said:
....However, on the bright side, we are just about two weeks away from OCTOBER BASEBALL!!!

Baseball? Who watches baseball?...... It's like coastal erosion...... It's like watching a nil-nil match between Manchester United and Arsenal.... Baseball sucks.... No. Waitaminute. My team sucks.

Actually I was at Pedro Martinez's 19th win today. Too bad. If/when he wins another this year, the Sox will have 2 20-game winners for the first time in about 50 years. All for naught. I wish they had a strike:mad:

Guy,
My wife walked in on me recording acoustic guitar once. I promised to put up one of those "On Air" lights outside the door. I'm still thinking about it.

Paul,
Happy Birthday, Old Sod.

MisterQcue,
Are you worried about your Jets? They were exposed Sunday. Just like the Steelers the week before. I think the Pats are for real.

Paul is soooo old......

when he went to school they did'nt have history class!;)

Baseball is hot on the tail of soccer for the title of most boring sport.

Yeah Chuck that "on air" light is an okay idea,but I'm really thinking more along the lines of an invisable fence/shock collar kind of dealy.;)

So Barometer I take it you're a miserable married man just like the rest of us?
I must have done something extremely bad in another life.:(

Well the Packers have the lowly Lions next sunday,if they lose that one I'll....I'll......well I hope I don't find out what I'll do.

Back