DAW Users With ADD

Great post Guy, I understand and agree with all you say. Specially bout women wearing mirrors out:D :D

You are right, a lot of non US people blame America for most of the ills of the world. Being a Brit is strange; we are the only halfway house country (some argue we are one and the same, an additional star should be on your flag for us). And I regularly get laughed at by my european friends about America and Americans and Britains "special relationship", but do not underestimate Britain's uneasy position. We are in Europe geographicly but are not European and we are not in America but feel more inclined towards an American viewpoint. Puts us in a strange position.

Americans can be insensitive to the rest of the world, they don't travel much, they don't read about International affairs much, they ain't much interested in International affairs either. But shit, why should they, country is huge, takes you 6 hours to fly east to west at the furthest points. If I travel 6 hours from London, I am in Russia, Africa, USA, Israel or the Middle East.

And sometimes you just have to stand up and be counted. I don't want a war but I don't want to do nothing either and allow despots like Saddam gather together nukes.

Until people learn to love one another more; make love not war, this kind of hassle will be around for ever. When will we ever learn (couple of song titles in there somewhere;) )

Anyway, enough of this depressing bollocks, lets party, make music, make love (Chucks done enough lately for us all) and play sport:D

Later!

Thank God it's Friday,I just want to make it through the day.
You'd think I'd be happy,I'm working in a brewery.But the job I'm on is totally screwed up and I've been taking my bad attitude home with me.
It's torture being surrounded by beer and having a lot of steam to blow off!

Mike those Giants had a lousy start last night,the Niners did'nt look so good either.I guess it was a case of who wanted it the least.

Confession:yeah Chuck I rooted for the Pats in the superbowl,but don't let that go to your head.

Confession:I'm nervous as hell about them Packers,they have'nt shown me enough to be confident.

Paul, the point you make about travel is a good one.There's a good possibility I may never make it out of my own country.There's so much here in the states I have'nt seen yet and with the constraints of time and money I don't know if I ever will see them.
I live in the state of Wisconsin which is more than half the size of your country.It's beautiful and if I were to never cross the state line again I'd still die a happy man.
Having said that I think a major vacation is in the works for next year,the destination to be decided at a later date.

I may be attending a Sonar demonstration at the Milwaukee Mars music on Monday.A lot depends on how I'm feeling after work.

Plus some east coast team is playing on MNF.

later!

Guy - at least the Giants covered the spread. :) They always seem to do just enough to lose.

I am also going to a Sonar seminar (Sept 24th) I think. I'm curious to see how much of this program I am missing. Let us know how yours go. (Can I assume it's the Waves, Sonar, and < something else I can't remember > tour?)

I assume you will all note that I have gracefully stayed out of the political conversation. World politics are just too f**d up for me to comment on, and I have nothing of any use to add (despite being the owner of a PoliSci degree :) )

Mike, its probably cos you've got a PoliSci degree that you are wise enough to keep well away from the subject:D

Stick to music, its much safer!

I watched part of the second half of last night's game as Ahmani Toomer and Ron Dayne are on my fantasy team (get a life willya!). Prior to that I watched the Red Sox plunge deeper into the recesses of wait-til-next-year...Guy, at least your nonprofessional team isn't pulling a hundred million dollar payroll.

My take on the world politics thing, specifically Iraq: Gee Dub and his boss Dick Cheney are constantly pissing me off with their "We don't need no steenking act of congress" to start their war. It is ironic to me that the country that invented Hollywood, hype and spin has cultivated such woeful public relations in that part of the world.

Something I was not aware of, but was told by a qualified professional: The US dependence on middle east oil is about 30%, not the overwhelming percentage the media would have you believe. Which begs the question, if we're not involved over there for oil, what then? It seems Europe's oil dependence is much higher and the US economy is linked a great deal to Europe's economic well-being. This of course leads to the inevitable "Let Europe deal with it then" attitude. I don't subscribe to the notion that we need to be the world's police force. I do think we have a certain amount of moral responsibility, yes. Like distributing food and birth control to these dumb f**k backwards ass countries that think having seven kids is a good idea.
I'm apalled that these oil-rich countries like Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq et al, who the US and Europe have pumped countless billions (probably trillions) of dollars into for the past 50 years or so have done little to advance the standard of living for most people. I mean, how do you force them to do the "right" thing?
It's a shame because by squandering the opportunity to "spread the wealth" the window may be closed forever when the oil fields run dry in the next 100 years or so.

I think the Sonar seminar at my local Guitar Center is Sept. 16 or something. I'll probably check it out. I was getting a lot out of the user group at Berklee for a while. I always feel that at the Guitar Centers, the emphasis is on loops and softsynths much of the time - stuff I don't care too much about.

We had our new bundle of joy at home last night for the first time. I hope when she gets older she'll be a singer because it would be a shame to waste those lungs :D

And in closing...I mentioned we finished my attic this summer. Well it's always been part of the plan to put a bathroom up there as I ran a drain years ago and all the rough plumbing is in - including a shower. I imagine that will be MY bathroom when I finish. That will give us four bathrooms for four people, so yes, I did prepare for that.;)

Chuck wrote:

Gee Dub and his boss Dick Cheney are constantly pissing me off with their "We don't need no steenking act of congress" to start their war.
Its the same here in the UK. Blair (President Shrubs puppet) has refused to recall Parliament to have an open debate. And I thought this was a democracy?

This of course leads to the inevitable "Let Europe deal with it then" attitude

Not as simple as that. The US needs a stable Europe, it is desperate to obtain alternative sources of oil, like Azerbaijan and Georgia. And a secure southern route pipeline out of there. No country, not even the US can afford a hands off approach anymore; we are all inextricably linked.

I'm apalled that these oil-rich countries like Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq et al, who the US and Europe have pumped countless billions (probably trillions) of dollars into for the past 50 years or so have done little to advance the standard of living for most people.

No one has pumped anything into those countries. Quite the reverse. ARAMCO has provided the US with a nice amount of Oil/revenue for many, many years. All the US and Europe does is base troops and military there. Which pisses the locals off no end. Remember, Al Quada came from Saudi, the Bin Ladens are one of the wealthiest families, they own the largest contruction and civil engineering company out there. $billions of turnover. This is no poverty driven militia.

Like distributing food and birth control to these dumb f**k backwards ass countries that think having seven kids is a good idea.

Actually, it makes sound sense to have lots of kids. The idea beng that a) the survivors will look after you in your old age (30+ by their standards, and they always get sick because of the poverty), b) that one of them might just get an education and support the rest of the family and c) that they are provide free labour for the family.

It's a shame because by squandering the opportunity to "spread the wealth" the window may be closed forever when the oil fields run dry in the next 100 years or so.

I agree with you 100%, the wealth of the Gulf states, Qatar, Kuwait and Saudi has to be seen to be believed.

Good to hear the new Chuckie addition has a good set of lungs:D Lets hope she lets you sleep a bit:)

Chuck,
how low did you draft?Ron Dayne sucks and I'm a Badger fan (obviously).
Wisconsin runners look good only because we have kick@$$ o-lines.
I'm signed up for the seminar and will ask that their techs occasionally visit this site(wishful thinking huh?).
They're supposed to offer discounts on software but with my cpu being limited (933) I'm not in the market.
I'm leaning more to a hardware sound module these days as my dr660's sounds are behind the curve.
I have three midi outs
One to my vs880 as a controller
Two to my keyboard (jv30)
Three to my drum machine
I'm thinking about getting a sound module to replace the 660 as it basically is a dust collector at this point.
It would save on cpu's and would be cheaper than a computer upgrade.

As far as wealth being spent in middle east countries,if saddam hussien had spent the money he used on his disproportionately large military on infrastucture Iraq would be the trendsetter for the world.
Alas staying in power seems to be the order of the day in these countries not improving the lives of the people.

Don't get me wrong I'm very pro-capitalism and could definately be described as a "hawk" but you've got to have a little balance.
If all your money is spent on the military what the hell are you fighting for?
If all the wealth goes to the leaders why should you fight?
To save your mud hut?

No wonder these guys surrendered in droves to the allies,they had it better in pow camps than they did at home.

Some people say Americans are soft,but I say you'll fight a lot harder to for Coca-cola,Star wars and (gulp)Brittany Spears than you will for an opressive leader.

Was that an overly obvious statement?

Later!

Paul,
My previous banter was really my first such outburst on the BBS, and I admit that prior to last Sept. I didn't really give it much thought. It's amazing still how many Americans think that Palestine and Pakistan(not to be confused with Packerfans) are one and the same. There are certainly other examples of American ignorance/indifference.
Without going too far into the potential powderkeg of international political discourse, let me say your responses to my rant were insightful and clearly well thought out.
When you say that nothing has been pumped into these countries, I'm a bit confused, because you concur at the end that many of these states' leaders walk around with great wealth. They certainly didn't give the oil away. And my point is the oil resource is not unlimited. Some day it will run out, and then they can eat sand. BTW, I hear Popeye's Fried Chicken is HUGE in Saudi Arabia. No joke.
There are other threads for this stuff I suppose. I continue to be impressed with the quality of discussion from many of this board's members.

Guy, your 933 should be able to handle quite a bit, I would think. I'm using a 1 Ghz and don't feel the need to upgrade real soon (maybe a couple of months :D) . I think a suggestion to anyone at Cakewalk to hit this board (15,000 members - hello?) is a good idea. I'd brought it up myself at the user groups and I've also told the dimwits in the Guitar Center Pro Audio dept that they're missing a lot. My keyboard friend uses a Roland JV-1010 (around $400) sound module and is quite happy with it.
I picked 4th in the draft and took Kurt Warner. Marvin Harrison and Keyshawn are my wideouts and Bubba Franks is my tight end. Curtis Martin is my other back.

But Chuck.....what if we run out of chicken?:D

I've eyed up the 1010,my question is what quality are the sounds.
I know its expanable.It only has a stereo pair of outs,but for the price what can you expect.
I seen a scratch and dent one available at musicians friend awhile back and thought hard about picking it up,already had the cot set up in the garage.
Fact is I've got more than enough tools to make music,I just enjoy the geek factor of setting it all up and seeing it work.

Mike,
I'd like to clear the air as to my thoughts on autotune,
I'm actually all for it and would add it to my extensive wish list.
My problem is when it's used by the forces of evil!
I have no professional aspirations,nor the talent to achieve them if I had any so it's not a jealousy issue but a principle one. Autotune seems to become a tool for the industry to promote non-talents,blurring the line between hard working "real musicians"and flavor of the day eyecandy.
If I ever get the nerve up to post my music(?) you'll see-hear that I could very well be a poster child for their product,although I don't think the software is quite powerful enough for that task.:(

One other thing that really grinds my beans is that a read an article about how a songwriter will let some psuedo-artist rewrite a few lines of his song just so he can share songwriting credit.
The songwriter has to sell his soul to make a living and the empty headed camera friendly face is given false prop's as "talented".

Bubba Franks is a real good fantasy player,invisible between the goal lines but a force in the end zone.
Curtis Martin is a great back.

As far as dimwits,I called Mars twice to confirm the seminar as instructed in cakewalks e-mail and got hung up on both times.

hixmix said:
I'm really sick of this thread.

:mad:

....and I'm sure all 1600 of your posts have been as entertaining and insightfull as some members' "Why can't I get laid?" or "What's the largest object you've ever put up your nose?" threads....;)

acidrock said:

Mike,
I'd like to clear the air as to my thoughts on autotune,
I'm actually all for it and would add it to my extensive wish list.
My problem is when it's used by the forces of evil!
I have no professional aspirations,nor the talent to achieve them if I had any so it's not a jealousy issue but a principle one. Autotune seems to become a tool for the industry to promote non-talents,blurring the line between hard working "real musicians"and flavor of the day eyecandy.
If I ever get the nerve up to post my music(?) you'll see-hear that I could very well be a poster child for their product,although I don't think the software is quite powerful enough for that task.:(

One other thing that really grinds my beans is that a read an article about how a songwriter will let some psuedo-artist rewrite a few lines of his song just so he can share songwriting credit.
The songwriter has to sell his soul to make a living and the empty headed camera friendly face is given false prop's as "talented".
AR - I agree that autotune can be (and has been) misused. But so have a lot of other "tools." My point is that it is just that - a tool. I happen to get a bit annoyed when people take a "holier than thou" attitude about autotune, but feel that overdubbing is a legitimate studio technique. Sorry, but I don't see much of a difference. You can either set up 5 or 6 mics and hit the record button (as Chuck did on his jazz number) or you "cheat." I like to think of it as "crafting" a performance, but if people want to call it cheating, I can accept that. Just don't single out autotune, cause it includes techniques such as multi-tracking, overdubbing, FX, and including midi instruments or drums that you don't really play. I actually think the use of a drum machine is much eggregious than autotune, since autotune at least is used on a "real" performance.

BTW, this rant is not at all directed at you, Guy. I'm just releasing some steam.

And you are absolutely right about artists getting screwed with writing credits. Unfortunately, that's been going on for at least 50 years. If you look at some of the writing credits on the doo wop songs of the late 50's you'll ofter see 5 or 6 names. Wouldn't it be nice if it were the 5 guys in the group. However, if you check it out, it will usually be one guy in the group (the actual writer) and then the group's manager along with his brother and his wife, and maybe the studio owner where the song was recorded. Of course, if the group/writer doesn't willingly give up those credits, the song never gets recorded or released. Great choice, huh?

Oh and you were also absolutely right - Ron Dayne does suck.

Well it just dawned on me that all 3 of you have posted very passionate dialogues on geopolitics, and Mike's most passionate post was about Autotune. Shows you where my head is at. :)

Chuck, you probably thought I forgot, but I just uploaded a new mix of Can't Find to NWR with the additional horn part you sent (horn5). I also changed the bass synth (the new one is more "real" sounding IMHO) and I remixed the vocals. I'm still not thrilled with the vocals, and I may end up retracking them (or at least some of them). However, the music track is not bad - and the horns are great, man!! The piece of the song where the horns kick in (2:35) until the end really kicks ass. :D Anyway, I'm not done mixing this yet, so please pass along any feedback/ciriticism you might have.

Mike wrote:

Well it just dawned on me that all 3 of you have posted very passionate dialogues on geopolitics, and Mike's most passionate post was about Autotune. Shows you where my head is at.
Sometimes, you just have to get on with your life and do what you wanna do. Otherwise we'd all end up Doctors, missionries, aid workers etc. And that wouldn't work either. So posts about Autotune is fine by me. A very misunderstood piece of software, as your post shows.
Hixmix, your post has really spurred me on; knowing it hacks you off provides me all the motivation I need to continue with it:D
Chuck wrote:

When you say that nothing has been pumped into these countries, I'm a bit confused, because you concur at the end that many of these states' leaders walk around with great wealth. They certainly didn't give the oil away. And my point is the oil resource is not unlimited. Some day it will run out, and then they can eat sand. BTW, I hear Popeye's Fried Chicken is HUGE in Saudi Arabia. No joke.

You are right, all the US fast food outlets are popular in Saudi. :)
Re the wealth thing...... Well its kind of confusing cos certain M.East countries have vast wealth, like Saudi, Qatar, Kuwait, UAE, but other countries are poor, Lebanon, Syria, Jordan. They all have people who live there who are poor, but they are mainly immigrants. But no-one in any of these countries is starving.
Iraq was once a great country, now ripped apart by tribal warfare (like most Arabic countries, it is very tribal). Saddam is a particular tribe member who settles scores with adversaries in the old fashioned way...he killes em. The country has/had a vast wealth of middle class, moderate and highly educated people, now all impoverished and disenfranchised. But all the tribes appear to be as bad as each other. And we can forget democracy, it won't work, they are not evolved enough as a society yet to embrace it. They are still feudal and family/tribe based in their politics. Iraq should be a great Oil power nation, but it is all stalled cos of UN sanctions and in anycase, the wealth would line the pockets of the few related to Saddam.
Al Quada has nothing to do with wealth/poverty; its just an anti western terrorist group that justifies its actions along Muslim fundamentalist lines. Ordinary muslims are horrified at the mis-use of religion in this way. Al Quada has everything to do with angy young men, full of idealism, wrongly motivated to attack what they see and regard as "The Great Satan" (The USA), helped along the way by the USA's insensitivity to the region and its politics. It is regarded as too pro Israeli and worst of all, horror of horrors, has US troops based in Saudi Arabia. Seen as a Holy Land, the land of the prophet Mohammad, having US troops in the country is detested by the young arabs. Thats why many of the leaders of Al Quada are Saudi. Its nothing to do with wealth/poverty.
Chuck, I have been fortunate to travel the world extensively for many years, including the M.East and have spent a lot of time there. Sometimes when I have been in say, India and witnessed the poverty at first hand, I look up into the sky and see the sun. And wonder if it can be the same sun that shines on me back in my safe and green garden in England?
But you can only do what you can do as an individual, we all cannot make a difference, we are not built that way. Some of us are aid workers...and some of us are musicians.:) I try to live my life with a live and let live attitude, peace and tolerance to all. But I am not going to stand by and let someone threaten my country. The attacks on 9/11 are an attack on us all. We just have to go through the right process to ensure we have explored all the options.
Sorry if this is a rambling diatribe; I didn't intend it to be that way. Its Sunday afternoon here and I'm now gonna record something.:D
Catch you all later.

I'm going to give my mind a rest today...
I'm going to pick up some beer and go to my cousins house to watch the Packers game.
You see he has a big screen tv and no kids!!!!

YEAH.....BEER,BRATWURST AND PACKERS!

The Wisconsin trifecta:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

dachay2tnr said:
Take Atlanta and the 7-1/2 points. :D
Hey, Guy, I hope you were paying attention. :D BTW, what was the over/under in that game? 75 points?

However, I guess that's the difference between the Pack and my Giants. Your guys do just enough to win, while mine do just enough to lose.

I know Chuck won't be staying awake to watch tomorrow night's game (since he has to get up at 3:00 AM), but I'm taking the Pats and the points. Bellichek will have Cordell wondering what day of the week it is.

Guy,
Maybe you were giving your mind a rest, but I bet your heart was getting a workout today...if the brats didn't do it, I'm sure the Packers did :D

Mike,
Count me in for watching that game tomorrow night. The new bundle of joy's window of wakefullness is about 9pm to 3am. She & I will be watching at least.

Paul,
Once again your comments give me a glimpse of perspective seldom seen hereabouts. Cheers, mate;)

Hixmix,
Thanks for stopping by. Come again when you can't stay so long.:D

I guess from a pure football fan standpoint that was a great game,but from a Packer fan standpoint it was pure hell!
Oh well I'll take the win.:rolleyes:

Nothing like starting out the year with a huge game.
This Monday night game couild be a preview of the AFC championship.

Off to the Sonar workshop tonight,I shall inform youse guyz as to how it went.

LATER!

Back