Dark Shadows

Snowman999

When I was a kid, I'd run home from school to be sure to see Dark Shadows. Besides the vampire/witchcraft/spooky aspect it had Lara Parker the most gorgeous vampire witch EVER -
lara_parker_-_copy.jpg

That's when you're a kid. It's a freakin soap opera. To see it as an adult it must really suck.

I've known for a while that the ENTIRE series was released on DVD. 1225 episodes on 131 discs. Released in 2012 it was $200. I figured I'd wait for the price to drop. Instead it's now over $250 and there's bootlegs of the deluxe edition. I found one a little under $200 and thankfully it's real. I didn't know about the bootlegs till after I received mine a few weeks ago.
811m7I3YI6L._SY679_.jpg

Barnabas and Angelique don't enter the series for a year. But, the moment I saw the first episode, all the people I'd forgotten about 40+ years ago came streaming back, including their names. I watch over 3 hours a day, and I'm up to episode 130. I think this is basically where I came in when I was a child. I vaguely remember the storyline.

This is a GREAT show, that holds up to time. 1966 they open with a boy attempting patricide. It is a soap opera, and as a person who worked in live theatre for years, you can tell it's written and shot quickly with plenty of missed lines, bumbling and repeating the same thing over and over again. But, all in all it's still a wonderful show, and Katherine Leigh Scott (Maggie) is MaryAnn to Nancy Barrett's (Carolyn) Ginger of Gilligan's Island.

kls.jpgNancy_Barrett.jpg

I haven't had so much fun in a long time.

:laughings:A show about vampires that "really sucks..." Sorry. I liked that. Also, I did the same thing in the early 70s. My mom was addicted to it. (Yeah, it was my MOM. ) :laughings::facepalm:

I wish I wrote vampire/sucks on purpose, but I'm not that clever. Your mom has good taste.

Maybe cause it's because I always thought soap operas were so corny that I could never get into Dark Shadow..
I know my wife who is 6 years younger than me did...maybe it's an age thing..I was born in 53

Now all of the below...abafreekinsolutely

Agent 99
Elly May Clampet
Jeanie
That Girl
Gidget / Patty Duke
Samantha
Goldie Hawn
To name a few 60's / 70's pretty girls on TV

Who'd I forget?

Maybe cause it's because I always thought soap operas were so corny that I could never get into Dark Shadow..
I know my wife who is 6 years younger than me did...maybe it's an age thing..I was born in 53

Now all of the below...abafreekinsolutely

Agent 99
Elly May Clampet
Jeanie
That Girl
Gidget / Patty Duke
Samantha
Goldie Hawn
To name a few 60's / 70's pretty girls on TV

Who'd I forget?

Soap Operas are corny. Even watching it again, it's ingrained with melodramatic story lines. I've only ever watched Dark Shadows. When Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman came on the air as a night time soap opera I loved that. MH MH is still insanity created by Norman Lear. Dark Shadows dealt with the supernatural, which was made for kids like me.

Barbara Bain (mission impossible)
Emma Steel - Diana Rigg (Avengers)
Lindsay Wagner (Bionic Woman)
Angie Dickenson (Police woman - was really hot in Dressed To Kill)
The Petticoat Junction girls.
Lee Merriweather - Cat Woman

I'm sure I can think of others. It'll take time.

Last edited:
You guys keep putting those images in my head and I'll going to be looking for the little blue pills! ..... oh wait, those are the Aleves. Drat! :cursing:

When I was a kid, I'd run home from school to be sure to see Dark Shadows. Besides the vampire/witchcraft/spooky aspect it had Lara Parker the most gorgeous vampire witch EVER -
View attachment 107840

That's when you're a kid. It's a freakin soap opera. To see it as an adult it must really suck.

I've known for a while that the ENTIRE series was released on DVD. 1225 episodes on 131 discs. Released in 2012 it was $200. I figured I'd wait for the price to drop. Instead it's now over $250 and there's bootlegs of the deluxe edition. I found one a little under $200 and thankfully it's real. I didn't know about the bootlegs till after I received mine a few weeks ago.
View attachment 107841

Barnabas and Angelique don't enter the series for a year. But, the moment I saw the first episode, all the people I'd forgotten about 40+ years ago came streaming back, including their names. I watch over 3 hours a day, and I'm up to episode 130. I think this is basically where I came in when I was a child. I vaguely remember the storyline.

This is a GREAT show, that holds up to time. 1966 they open with a boy attempting patricide. It is a soap opera, and as a person who worked in live theatre for years, you can tell it's written and shot quickly with plenty of missed lines, bumbling and repeating the same thing over and over again. But, all in all it's still a wonderful show, and Katherine Leigh Scott (Maggie) is MaryAnn to Nancy Barrett's (Carolyn) Ginger of Gilligan's Island.

View attachment 107842View attachment 107843

I haven't had so much fun in a long time.

1225 shows in 5 seasons, that's crazy! Definitely soap opera style. I watched it for a season or 2 - I was only 11 in 67!
Funny to see the actors who played multiple parts over the years: Dark Shadows - Wikipedia

I could never overlook my favorite witch..... Samantha :thumbs up: She was real purdy!

Though a little bit older..

MTM was dang hot too!

When I was pulling pictures off the web, I passed by Samantha. I couldn't remember who you were talking about. Geez, I'm an idiot. Montgomery is my #2 for most beautiful woman that ever walked the face of the earth. Carole Lombard is #1.

1225 shows in 5 seasons, that's crazy! Definitely soap opera style. I watched it for a season or 2 - I was only 11 in 67!
Funny to see the actors who played multiple parts over the years: Dark Shadows - Wikipedia

I'm already up to #170. In less than a week BARNABAS COLLINS will be entering. I don't know when I came in on the show back in the 60s. But, I do remember the story line that's being told now.

Yes, it's very soap opera. I know it's called seasons. But, it's really not, it's years. They don't stop. Soap Operas are a year long process. The actors get their scripts, have very little rehearsal time (if any), they shoot an episode a day, and within a week post production is done and the show airs. They work Mon - Fri and only have off the major holidays. On this box set they have a slate before each episode with the day it's shot and aired.

I had to look up who Carole Lombarde was ...I have been surrounded by beautiful women my whole life..3 older sisters who were in modern day times considered beautiful..Mom was a looker to. So when I saw her I thought wow...kind of a blend of my sisters and my wife..My wife has her awesome blue eyes and is what set me off my butt the first time I ever saw her..She was working behind the counter at a KFC..yep love at first site..Fun n cool story for another time.

So the video below is my middle sister (who definitely looked a lot like princess Di in her later years) back in 1983 after the Tylenol murders turned the packaging world on it's ears and everything had to be "safety sealed" she did this video. She could have had a career in the movie industry early on but my Pops wasn't having it. Long n short of it..in her mid 30's she lived in "The Valley" married with 3 kids and one of her friends had an agent who asked if she'd let her represent her. She got her the gig...Paid damn well...well enough that when the agent asked is she had siblings, she said yes and the agent asked for head shots. So the wife n I send in head shots...Mind you I am still a long haired hippie STILL hoping to be a rock star... My head shot was from the front with my long ass hair in a pony tail. We get the call, we have you set up for a folgers coffee "hidden camera" commercial. Come to this restaurant in a business suit with tie looking professional, sit and eat dinner and the camera's will be rolling...I ask the agent, You know I have long hair right? No I didn't know that..You must have a businessman's haircut or don't come. FUCK! My sister had made some serious coin like a couple years of money that I was making busting my ass a tile setter..We had our first kid in the oven sooooooo. I sold out to the man :eek: Yep cut my long ass hair and we went for the commercial..another long story I won't go into right now...BUT WE DIDN'T MAKE THE CUT! Totally screwed up ...Funny thing was I had no idea of the social prejudice that lay underneath me having long hair. A few weeks later I go into a Tile contractors office to interview for a new job and the first thing out of this guys mouth is OH THANK GOD! Finally a clean cut looking man without long hair! LOL I got the gig.

My Sisters commercial...

My wife's ASB card picture...That's the girl I met at KFC except those beautiful long blonde locks were up in a hairnet showcasing her incredible blue eyes...

From her ASB card.jpg

And me n my precious darlin at Huntington Beach before I cut my hair...

Me n raputa.jpg

I had to look up who Carole Lombarde was ...I have been surrounded by beautiful women my whole life..3 older sisters who were in modern day times considered beautiful..Mom was a looker to. So when I saw her I thought wow...kind of a blend of my sisters and my wife..My wife has her awesome blue eyes and is what set me off my butt the first time I ever saw her..She was working behind the counter at a KFC..yep love at first site..Fun n cool story for another time.

So the video below is my middle sister (who definitely looked a lot like princess Di in her later years) back in 1983 after the Tylenol murders turned the packaging world on it's ears and everything had to be "safety sealed" she did this video. She could have had a career in the movie industry early on but my Pops wasn't having it. Long n short of it..in her mid 30's she lived in "The Valley" married with 3 kids and one of her friends had an agent who asked if she'd let her represent her. She got her the gig...Paid damn well...well enough that when the agent asked is she had siblings, she said yes and the agent asked for head shots. So the wife n I send in head shots...Mind you I am still a long haired hippie STILL hoping to be a rock star... My head shot was from the front with my long ass hair in a pony tail. We get the call, we have you set up for a folgers coffee "hidden camera" commercial. Come to this restaurant in a business suit with tie looking professional, sit and eat dinner and the camera's will be rolling...I ask the agent, You know I have long hair right? No I didn't know that..You must have a businessman's haircut or don't come. FUCK! My sister had made some serious coin like a couple years of money that I was making busting my ass a tile setter..We had our first kid in the oven sooooooo. I sold out to the man :eek: Yep cut my long ass hair and we went for the commercial..another long story I won't go into right now...BUT WE DIDN'T MAKE THE CUT! Totally screwed up ...Funny thing was I had no idea of the social prejudice that lay underneath me having long hair. A few weeks later I go into a Tile contractors office to interview for a new job and the first thing out of this guys mouth is OH THANK GOD! Finally a clean cut looking man without long hair! LOL I got the gig.

My Sisters commercial...

My wife's ASB card picture...That's the girl I met at KFC except those beautiful long blonde locks were up in a hairnet showcasing her incredible blue eyes...

View attachment 107918

And me n my precious darlin at Huntington Beach before I cut my hair...

View attachment 107919

California is filled with beautiful women. The natural ones are gorgeous, many of the cosmetic ones are hideous. They all lean toward the beauty queen look. Which is kind of the exact opposite of the east coast.

Your wife is gorgeous. Your sister did a fine job on the commercial. I remember the Tylenol murders. It was a crazy woman who killed her husband and to avoid getting caught, put some poison in capsules and put it on a store shelf (If I'm remembering correctly). The person that bought it died. There's an episode of Forensic Files on it.

That one crime changed the way so much is packaged today. I guess it's a good thing.

I'm surprised nobody ever brings up Jennifer vs Bailey.

View attachment 107920

Forgot about them (I never watched WKRP). Also forgot about these beauts.

The_Partridge_Family_Shirley_Jones_1972.jpgdey.jpg
While I might not have thought so when the show first aired, I think Jones is much hotter than Dey. The only problem I have with Shirley Jones was her marriage to Jack Cassidy. She's either not very nice, or has awful taste in men.

Miss Lombard or Mrs Carole Lombard Gable. She was afraid to fly. But, Gable was making a movie with Loretta Young at the time, and she decided to fly back to Hollywood, she died. I hope Gable was guilt ridden the rest of his life. If you see Young's daughter, she looks exactly like Gable.
carole_lombard.jpg
They just don't make them like this anymore.

Ooooo... Susan Dey had the best eyes! You can have her "mom". She looked pretty good in the movie Looker and in LA Law.

Episode 625. Another 500 + to go.

I might just die this year. Fun has a name - Dark Shadows.

I'm supposed to be mixing an album for a friend. He's moving, and I'm supposed to be doing it in my spare time. I have no spare time. I can't turn this show off. After this, I might hit up Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman and I have the Diana Rigg - Emma Peel Avengers box set. Yep, this might be my year of passing.

The fun is over. Dark Shadows went dark on my today. I have to hand it to Curtis and writers, they wrapped it all up beautifully. I love a happy ending.

Now, what the hell am I gonna do? A few weeks ago I bought the complete Orphan Black. I remember watching the beginning of the opening episode and thought it was good. So, I took a chance. It should have ended after 2 seasons. The lead actress was extremely talented playing all those roles.

I got the LUCK. We're moving in a few weeks, and there's 6 thrift shops in our area. I got the complete Mission Impossible TV series in the time bomb for $38. This set goes for over $100. Barbara Bain (Cinammon) was my lady when I was a kid. I had the hots for her, and I was only 6. She, Lara Parker (Dark Shadows) and Diana Rigg (Emma Peel) were it for me. I'll have something new to watch when we get settled.

1628953041461.png

I had the hots for her, and I was only 6.

I think I was about the same age.......Angelique was my earliest memory......I'm not sure I entirely understood why, but she made me feel funny, if you know what I mean. A few years later, I had I guess what could be categorized as my first wet dream, Samantha Stevens, Bewitched. Oh yeah, I fully understood why. I can't recall whether she ever wore stockings on the TV show, but she did in (some of) my dream.

Just send me the bill, Doc, i'll forward payment pronto. (y)

Back