Damn cool 1965 concert video The New Musical Express Poll winners concert

TAE

All you have is now
I was not aware there ever was such a concert over in England but holy shit this was a concert... Just watched snippets so far but damn cool for the Dinorockers of HR.com

Below is the text in the "more info" section of the UTUBE video from Dave Nevins who edited the original video down into this readers digest 90 minute version of the original 2 hour one.....

Set list:
0:00:38 -- Hey Bo Diddley -- Moody Blues
0:00:56 -- Go Now -- Moody Blues
0:09:30 -- Pretty One -- Freddie & the Dreamers
0:11:45 -- A Little You -- Freddie and the Dreamers
0:13:59 -- Walking the Dog -- Georgie Fame
0:16:32 -- I’ll Never Find Another You -- The Seekers
0:18:36 -- A World of Our Own -- The Seekers
0:21:16 -- Wonderful World -- Herman’s Hermits
0:23:03 -- Mrs. Brown -- Herman’s Hermits
0:25:51 -- Funny How Love Can Be -- The Ivy League
0:27:51 -- Time for You -- Sounds Incorporated
0:29:58 -- The Game of Love -- Wayne Fontana
0:32:24 -- Just a Little Bit Too Late -- Wayne Fontana
0:34:51 -- Everybody Needs Somebody -- Stones
0:25:29 -- Pain in My Heart -- Rolling Stones
0:37:32 -- Around and Around -- Rolling Stones
0:39:56 -- The Last Time -- Rolling Stones
0:42:58 -- Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah -- Cilla Black
0:45:12 -- You’re Gonna Need Somebody -- Donovan
0:49:23 -- Catch the Wind -- Donovan
0:51:49 -- Here Comes the Night -- Them
0:54:34 -- Turn on Your Love Light -- Them
1:00:48 -- Let the Good Times Roll -- Searchers
1:02:38 -- Mockingbird -- Dusty Springfield
1:05:04 -- Boom Boom -- Animals
1:09:09 -- Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood -- Animals
1:11:34 -- Talkin’ ‘Bout You” / ”Shout -- Animals
1:16:22 -- I Feel Fine -- Beatles
1:19:24 -- She’s a Woman -- Beatles
1:22:14 -- Baby’s in Black -- Beatles
1:24:32 -- Ticket to Ride -- Beatles
1:27:46 -- Long Tall Sally -- Beatles
1:29:49 -- You Really Got Me -- Kinks
1:32:02 -- Tired of Waiting for You -- Kinks

For those who care, the goal of this version of the video was to take the original 2-hour concert footage (linked below) and make it a more enjoyable 90mins. So these changes were made:

-- The excessive talking and song breaks were removed (except band names announced)
-- Multi-band compression (analog) evened out volumes, esp. recovering lost bass
-- Video black levels restored
-- Video is slightly zoomed in to remove some of the square aspect ratio
-- Since the vocals were still too far forward, even after compression, a slight plate stereo reverb was added (only in the vocal range frequencies) to pull the singing back into the music, helping to both congeal the mix and also widen the feel. The effect excites the vibe a bit and gives more of the fun radio sound.

For more by Dave Nevins visit:
http://www.daveneivns.com

Enjoy!

--

FAQs:

1. The artists were chosen by user poll:
1965 - NME

2. The Beatles won the poll, but Kinks played last because they were late, so I've been told. Ironically, they played "Tired of Waiting For You." Perhaps the Animals long set was covering for them? I didn't mess with the song order and no songs were removed, though I was tempted to pull out a few. Rather than mess with it, I decided to let the viewers decide and enjoy the history for themselves.

3. I'm surprised to hear how many people love the Seekers. I've always enjoyed their hits, but did not realize their big influence; so perhaps they hold up also more to modern tastes.

4. Sometimes the video can be appear "warpy" because the source footage probably (at some point) had the YouTube stabilization applied. Sorry that can't be fixed. It's more noticeable shots where the camera was already zoomed/bumpy,j such as close-ups. At best, it adds to the shaky atmosphere!

5. Jimmy Savile :
a.) very sorry if this dampened anyone's enjoyment. Cutting to the MCs was necessary for groups transitions.
b) not being British, I didn't recognize him. But he was a part of it.
c.) as serious and egregiousness as his offenses were, there's no reason to ripple negativity with nasty responses. Christ says forgive if you want God to forgive you -- for whatever. Personally, I'm holding onto that mercy.
d) So please keep language about him -- or anything else -- respectable for all, else it will be deleted. And too many comments about this topic will vanish. It's not what this video is about.

Part of the reason concerts like these are outstanding is the good spirit.

6. Last, many thanks to you for the generous encouragement, fun comments and good cheer -- both for the artists and for my little role in bringing this out. It's real nice. This music is a fantastic, special, and timeless gift!

There's something surreal about this season. It was the crossing of many cultural vectors. When I first saw this video I could only think that this must be touched up and posted. What a fun treat.

Blessings to all!
Dave

Video source courtesy of Brian Gibson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBxdg...

NME Pollwinners 1965 ★ Concert :

Last edited:
Wow this was a amazingly popular thread.... :laughings: The video link was dead...I fixed it....

You might as well throw in the 1964 version.

Its pretty interesting seeing young Denny Laine, Graham Nash, Jagger, etc.

I haven't a clue as to how I missed the original posting. Thanks, TAE, for the updating. I'm certain that my daughter, who is a huge Beatles fan, and a fan of English bands will also enjoy seeing the video. Very cool!

LOL! This could be a program length commercial for Rickenbacker :guitar:

I gotta say, The Animals were a helluva group. I think they just missed the boat by a hair as far as becoming as big as the super groups. They had great music and Eric's singing style was righteous. Guess they just didn't have the right edge to their music as in many ways they were similar to the Stones but the Stones took it to the next level.

Great video work. I enjoyed these very much :thumbs up:

The Animals were VERY big. They had quite a few hits, and continued on until the late 60s. They had quite a lot of turnover, which hurt the band. Alan Price left early, and Chas Chandler left to pursue artist management, famously managing Jimi Hendrix. Eric Burdon had that signature voice so things kept going for a while.

Everyone knows House of the Rising Sun, but they had lots of other really great songs, from Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood, We Gotta Get Outta This Place, Don't Bring Me Down, Its My Life and When I Was Young. They went psychedelic with Monterrey and San Fransisco Nights.

Eric left and started War, and did some solo stuff, so that band pretty much dissolved at that point. Still, in the first half of the 60s, they were on par with the Stones and The Who.

Is this available in Blu Ray or DVD? I have an awful time watching anything (over a few minutes) on the computer. Besides buffering (we pay close to $175 a month for internet) the little external speakers don't do anything justice.

That's a hell of a line up with great songs.

Besides buffering (we pay close to $175 a month for internet)

Oh Damn! Sometimes forget that the internets ain't all the same...spoiled in La La land...Smokin fast Fios currently and $30 a month going up a little in November depending on my negotiation skills...

Damn $175 for a slow connection ...ouch!

Wow! I spend 1/3 that amount and even my wifi laptop does 150Mbps downloads. My wired connection is over 300. I would go nuts with a flakey internet connection.

Oh Damn! Sometimes forget that the internets ain't all the same...spoiled in La La land...Smokin fast Fios currently and $30 a month going up a little in November depending on my negotiation skills...

Damn $175 for a slow connection ...ouch!

Yep. That's COMCAST for you. I hate them with more than a passion. I hold them personally responsible for our house being robbed and my wife losing all her jewelry (over $50,000). If the installer stopped at our house like he was suppose to, we'd have had cable, I wouldn't have driven to a house to record a show, got a ticket on the way home, and wouldn't have been in court fighting it while our house was being robbed. In this instance I didn't do ANYTHING wrong. I was doing 50 in a 55 mile an hour zone in the pouring rain. I was the only car on the road (in a construction zone) when the cops pulled out, got so close to my car I couldn't see their headlights, pulled me over and gave me a ticket for going over an imaginary white line. Both cops lied on the stand. Yeah, I hate comcast and Readington police.

The really strange part, a friend of mine said "maybe it was blessing. Karen was with you. If you were in court by yourself, imagine what might have happened if they broke in and she were home." Is it a blessing or a curse? If it's a blessing, I wish it were a little less stingy.

We had all three comcast Cable, Phone, Internet and our bill was almost $300 a month. They refuse to lower the price. Now we just have internet. I need to just get a wifi hotspot and get rid of comcast all together. I'll buy a few of those home boxes for tv (I love Court TV) and do away with comcast.

Wow! I spend 1/3 that amount and even my wifi laptop does 150Mbps downloads. My wired connection is over 300. I would go nuts with a flakey internet connection.

I'm not on the net a lot. I have about 5 different sites I visit and that's it. I don't watch tv or movies or listen to music. This is really the only site I listen to songs from. I don't need the best quality for movies/tv/music. But, I need more than the internet provides for it, to even feel like I'm getting the full experience.

Back