Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Concert Stories

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Queen in 1980 when the NEC opened with 14500 seats and I got to see them the second rock people to ever play there. They bought the house down with their new lighting rig and all.

Next time was in 84 at the start of their 'Works' tour.
    Last edited by Orson; 1 Week Ago at 07:31.

Thanks
    First time I heard Queen was around 73 I guess. Keep Yourself Alive. Upon the first hearing I knew those guys were going to make millions.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman999 View Post
    On the way home Joan Jett (before Bad Reputation) was walking through Penn Station and I got her to sign the book. She stood there like we were going to have a conversation. But, nothing was said and she walked away. She opened for XTC at the Palladium and I was the only person standing in the front row moving to her songs. She walked over at the end, shook my hand and handed me her guitar pick. It's in the shape of a shark's tooth. She's always great.

I would have loved to see Rhodes. Such a tragedy. Quiet Riot made it big on Slade songs.

Maybe Brentwood or Beverly Hills on the mansions...

Joan Jett actually went to Covina High for a short stint.... It must be the San Gabriel Valley water....in a population of under 30K in the late 70's VH, Boingo, Motley Crue, Joan Jett, Quiet Riot and many other great bands arose from our little valley east of LA...course go 20 miles further east and it grew Frank Zappa in Cucamonga...what a name Cucamonga...Safaris came form SGV too!

When I saw Randy live he was in quiet Riot and they opened for us ...( all unsigned at the time) I had heard good things about this band, they had a big following and that they had this great guitarist maybe even on par with our guitarist Dave Macias...So I made the extra effort to get there early and watch them...Damn kid could sure play guitar and sure had a fun time while doing it...A charisma and engaging personality that makes the difference from being just an amazing player to being a super star...
    Tomco Audio Electric ( TAE )

Creating audible vibrations to stimulate and entertain mankind and other small cave dwelling furry animals.

"The secret to a long life is to live a long time" .... "You can quote me on that" TAE

Thanks
    I once saw Grace Slick point out where LEO was hiding so people could throw stuff at them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogooder View Post
    I once saw Grace Slick point out where LEO was hiding so people could throw stuff at them.
    Leo or ELO? .....and why?

Thanks
    LEO, why? People were storming the barricades to get in and LEO was trying to prevent them, it was the sixties, what else can I say?

Thanks
    July 25, 1976, Schaeffer Stadium, Foxboro, MA (the old stadium, since rebuilt for the New England Patriots) - Boz Scaggs, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles.
    Me and half a dozen friends arrived at 3 or 4pm to try to get a decent spot on the field to watch the concert - we were back around the 40 yard line, with the stage set up in the field's "end zone" area. Despite being named for a beer, the stadium had no beer for sale. They had soda, no ice for it, so your $4 would get a cup of warm soda syrup mixed with soda water. One friend smuggled in 2 cans of beer in her purse, we passed it around.
    Around 5pm we heard music coming from the stage, thought it was taped (we were sitting on the astroturf, so couldn't see the stage past all the standing people). There had been no announcement that the show was starting.
    Someone said 'hey this song sounds familiar', we stood up to see Boz Scaggs was playing his set already. He wasn't the act people came for, so more people ignored him than paid attention.
    After his set, stage change, we sat down on the astroturf again. The field was getting filled up, and the seats one either side were 1/4 full, at most.
    It was just starting to get dark when Fleetwood Mac took the stage - this was before Rumours had been released. I grabbed the hands of two friends and told them we'd try to get close to the stage, and started edging our way through the crowd. Eventually I separated from them, and half-way through FM's set I had got up against the plywood barrier that had been set up about 10 feet in front of the stage. The crowd behind was slowly pushing forward, literally crushing everyone against the barrier. Stevie Nicks was 20 feet away from me as I watched security guys lift girls who had fainted from the heat and crush, but couldn't fall down as they were pushed up against the plywood. They'd carry the girls away somewhere.
    When FM finished their set, I realized I would not be able to stand there for another 2 hours with the crush of people, so slowly pried my way though the crowd. It took me 20 minutes to get as far as the 20 yard line of the field, which is where some people were sitting, waiting for the headliners - the Eagles. I finally was able to get over to the sidelines, went to the restrooms under the stands, then watched the Eagles from various vantage points in the stands. This was the first tour with Joe Walsh - Hotel California had not been released yet - so we got a few Joe/James Gang songs in the set list.
    The excitement of being at such a big show was paled by the reality of a general admission crowd, and I have never been to a big GA show since. I don't even like smaller GA shows, and avoid them whenever I have an option to see the band in a venue with assigned seating.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mjbphotos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah huge ass general admission concerts generally suck from actually seeing and enjoying the bands you came to see. Now for the "party" aspect under the right circumstances when you're a young single adult they could be fun...but generally they suck...

If there is seating and it's a first come gets the seat..That works but no seating forget about it...

I'v been to several "stadium" gigs that I had a decent time at and a few that generally just blew..

In 1974 we had our california version of woodstock called the Cal Jam 300 to 400,000 people yikes! It was an amazing event for all the famous bands that were there but as a spectator it was a nightmare.....

They let us bring ice chest and booze in and water....wtf? so there we are several of my friends getting drunk n stoned among this ocean of people...all of sudden some dumbass decides it'd be a good idea to chuck a gallon water jug in the air...and the masses all seem to agree....the sky was filled with the gallon jugs falling back into the crowd and fucking people up as they come back down..We were a group of about 6 we all stood together back to back looking up in the sky watching and ready to deflect if we were going to get hit...damn scary moment...The sound totally sucked and yeah I could say I saw ELP and Black Sabbath and several other famous acts...but it was from a half mile away...

Nice line up

Rare Earth
    Earth, Wind & Fire
    Eagles
    Seals and Crofts
    Black Oak Arkansas
    Black Sabbath
    Deep Purple
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer

But lame

CAL JAM 1974
    Tomco Audio Electric ( TAE )

Creating audible vibrations to stimulate and entertain mankind and other small cave dwelling furry animals.

"The secret to a long life is to live a long time" .... "You can quote me on that" TAE

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TAE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    At Nassau Coliseum you were not allowed to bring in booze. They'd pat you down and shit. They had 55 gallon drums at every door, and they were overflowing with bottles. The parties they must have thrown after the shows were over.

Thanks

Melanie Martinez

I don't remember how I found Melanie Martinez, but I loved her original style of dress, look and content.

One day I did some research and found out she was playing that night 20 miles from my house. I went to the show, and it was like a roller rink or something like that. It was filled with teenage girls and boys. Since you can't push your way through teens, I kept trying to find a spot with a good vantage point, and ended up on the side of the stage filled with adults. I started up a conversation with a few and one asked "how many kids did you bring?" I said "None. I'm here to see her." From their look, they thought the worst. These adults were the parents of these children. The show sucked. All the originality of the person in this video did not show up that night. She was just a lame ass pop singer. But, I did buy her CD and a really cool t-shirt I wear all the time. The CD is excellent. Her new one is really good also. Just not up to par with the first.

The thing I find surprising is so many of her songs use the word fuck. I remember Star Star by the Stones. It was one song. Almost all her songs uses that word. Her new album K12 every song has it. So, every teenager who listens to her, gets a crash course in the many uses of that word.

Her career crashed a few years ago when her friend accused her of rape. They were lying on the bed together smoking weed. Melanie went down on her, and she didn't like it. Martinez spent five million on her full length movie for K12, and it only grossed 300 thousand when it was released.

Thread Information