Coffee Redux

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I have never been a big coffee freak or snob. Never had a home coffee maker at home. Never was the guy who had to have half a pot of coffee before going to work. I did, however, like one or two cups after getting to work, then one or two more between lunch and quits. I wasn't nailed to a desk and spent most of my days on my feet moving about. Always had one large cup of coffee sitting at my desk that was usually several hours old.. and cold. I loved that stuff cold (room temp), with all the creamer and sugar it tasted like chocolate to me.

Then due to health conditions I quit coffee, any alcohol, and cigarettes all on the same day - cold turkey. That was about 16 years ago and except for coffee, I've never had the urge to restart any of those habits.. until this week.

Well, turns out coffee (caffeine specifically) is not really bad for my condition and I've had some strong cravings for some good tastin' coffee. Once or twice each year I do find myself in a waiting room at some establishment which has a K-Cup machine and I have gulped down two or three small cups on each occasion - I'm really impressed with the quality and taste from these machines and their K-Cup offerings. I didn't want to get a home coffee maker, nor did I want to get a K-Cup machine for home due to the relatively large expense of the machine. But now I can get a small single cup K-Cup machine for a reasonable amount (way less than $100) and it's looking very appealing.

So on my 'to get' list I now have a small single cup unit, along with a box of assorted K-Cups. I think its great I won't have to make a half or whole pot of mediocre coffee to get a single cup. I'll be able to slug down one cup a day of coffee that's way better tasting than anything I was slurping in my youth.

Hooray for progress.

I went most of my life without coffee. 6 years in the navy which lives off of coffee couldn't get me to drink it. Late hours of partying followed by early hours at work couldn't get me to drink it. Then I met my wife. Yup, that did it. She's Colombian. It's not that she is a coffee guru or anything, just one day, she said I should try it. That's all it took.

So, our local grocer (HEB for the other Texas folk here) has their own brand of coffee and one of the flavors they offer is Pecan Coffee. That stuff is so good. addictive.

Purchase a French Press.

That's actually a great suggestion, and 20 years ago I probably would have, but I'm at a point in life where inserting and removing a K-Cup is about all I want to go through for some coffee. I'm not in search of anything better.

I went most of my life without coffee. 6 years in the navy which lives off of coffee couldn't get me to drink it. Late hours of partying followed by early hours at work couldn't get me to drink it. Then I met my wife. Yup, that did it. She's Colombian. It's not that she is a coffee guru or anything, just one day, she said I should try it. That's all it took.

So, our local grocer (HEB for the other Texas folk here) has their own brand of coffee and one of the flavors they offer is Pecan Coffee. That stuff is so good. addictive.

LOL! A buddy was also in the navy years ago, avionics, and always joked all our enemies had to do to beat us was cut off our coffee supply :eek::p I have never tried Pecan Coffee. The wildest I've gone is Hazelnut, and I can only handle maybe one cup of that flavor per year. I'm not big on flavored coffees. In fact, as much as I like to add powdered creamer and table sugar, my favorite is just good Columbian, black and unsweetened in some really good water. The water makes all the difference, IMO.

During the 60s and 70s my Dad had a percolator and we were never, as kids, allowed to drink coffee but I always loved the smell and wondered about it. I first tried it in 1980 when I was 17 and quite liked it and drank it for the next 18 years. Then one day, I was doing a delivery somewhere where there was coffee being made and the smell made me feel sick which was ironic. And I stopped drinking it that very day.
That was in mid 1998.
Haven't touched it since.
My kids liked coffee when they were little and I had no problem letting them drink it, despite the funny looks I'd get. On an aeroplane coming home from Switzerland back in 2011, I asked the steward if my kids, then aged 9 and 6 could have a coffee and he tried everything he could to talk me out of it. His last gambit was to tell me I'd never get them to sleep and I said, well, just give them the coffee ~ they'll sleep and he said something like, well be it on your head. After they drank and finished, they slept like Sleeping Beauty and the guy came up to my seat and said, well, I have to stand corrected ~ you really do know your children.
Like a true gent, I remained silent but my mind reeled with sarcastic replies !

I bought a Behmor 1600 bin roster and I roast my own beans now. I'll never go back to commercial coffee. Just roasted a pound of sulewesi nice and dark. Holy crap is this good coffee.

My little bro (he's 54) likes his coffee and he too is married to a lovely Colombian women who got him hooked on a local only Colombian grind and now on her yearly visits to her family she has to purchase enough for my brother to make it through the year on.

I did the coffee thing when I was a young 'un and stopped long before my 20s> Never went back to it for whatever reason.

I ordered a single-serve K-Cup coffee maker last week and expected delivery is January 4, 2021. That and a selection of K-Cups were both in stock, so no problem with availability, just backed up delivery schedule problems.

I wanted a specific color but it was $40 extra.. just for the color! So I get black.

I bought a Behmor 1600 bin roster and I roast my own beans now. I'll never go back to commercial coffee. Just roasted a pound of sulewesi nice and dark. Holy crap is this good coffee.

OK you're officially Cray Cray I've never known someone who roasted their own beans but it sounds intriguing. I assume you have to order the un roasted beans as I have never seen them offered at a store...

BTW Coffee good!

I love a cup or 3 every morning...We have both a regular drip coffee maker and the kids bought us the K-cup..
The k-cup rarely gets used but it does make a conveniently good tasting cup of coffee when it does get used.

In the morning when I crawl out of bed most often I stagger to the kitchen and make a pot...even before I take the wake up in the morning piss....I'm always up a few hours before the wife. Coffee with a lot of half and half...no sugar for me.

We get our coffee at Costco and grind it there when we are leaving...usually get Jose's French Roast and grind it as fine as we possibly can.

I'd of never bought the K-cup because I'm a cheap ass... Starbucks is way too high priced so I only go there when I am forced by family or friends...7-eleven is just fine for me for coffee on the go...

In China they have a new chain nipping on the heels of Starbucks that I have bought some stock in as a speculative buy...Big corruption CEO thing and the stock hit the bottom...having been there and seen these little gems and having watched the Starbucks "thing" grow worldwide...I decided to "buy low" with some risk money ..personally I think Luckin is going to catch it's breath and I'll do well on my little gamble...hopin anyway...

When last I was drinking coffee on a regular basis, 4-5 years ago, I found the gas station coffees had stepped up their games quite a bit. Not only with many varieties and flavors, but quality too.. using well filtered water and high quality coffees certainly blew away the same old regular/decaf take-whatever-they-offered of the past which many times was old and bitter after the morning rush.

Somewhere along the line I developed a strong taste for unflavored non-dairy creamers. When I stopped at a gas station, I would grab a large cup, fill the bottom 1" to 1-1/2" with the non-dairy creamer, then 4-6 Equal packets, then coffee. The non-dairy creamers made the coffee "creamier".. slightly thicker.. while the liquid creamers just diluted things.. more "watery".

Years ago, K-Cup coffee was very expensive, in my area anyway. Worked out to be something like $24/lb for the cheap stuff. Now even the good stuff is floating around the prices of bagged ground coffees.

I'd of never bought the K-cup because I'm a cheap ass... Starbucks is way too high priced so I only go there when I am forced by family or friends...7-eleven is just fine for me for coffee on the go...
The only times I have had Starbuck's coffee was when I was an outpatient at the wound care facility of my hospital. I was in there every morning before work and on weekends - that lasted 3 months. There was a mini-Starbuck's just inside the entrance which offered a lesser selection of drinks and munchies. I just got a large coffee each morning on the way out to work.

OK you're officially Cray Cray I've never known someone who roasted their own beans but it sounds intriguing. I assume you have to order the un roasted beans as I have never seen them offered at a store...

Yeah, I order from about a zillion sources. Amazon also sells em.... That's where I get my Sulewesi.

You don't even need a special roaster, right? Can't you just roast them in the oven? It might be worth a bag o' beans to experiment.

You don't even need a special roaster, right? Can't you just roast them in the oven? It might be worth a bag o' beans to experiment.
You're gonna have a hard time getting them to roast evenly...they need to be agitated near constantly or they will scorch quickly. Plus you need to be able to hear them crack... that's an important part of timing the roast.
Manslick, I love my Krupps Burr grinder my kids bought me for Father's Day.

Back