Coffee Creamer - Tim Horton's

The wife is from Colombia and she got me started on coffee. Not even 6 years in the US Submarine fleet could do that. Her family makes it with milk, not water. Super creamy. They use instant coffee, but it's way better than anything we can get in the states. Every time we go down for a visit, we're bringing a suitcase full of that stuff home with us. Going back down this summer. :thumbs up:

In the US, we like our coffee to last longer than 2 or 3 sips, so espresso isn't as popular. Yeah, american coffee is a little watered down compared to espresso, but we aren't lightweights who sip with our pinkies pointing skyward. :D Chug-a-lug that stuff. :drunk:

That's tea, Chili. And the English. Real coffee is made however you want it made. Long black. Short black. Flat white. Cappuccino. Ristretto. Mocha. Macchiato. Latte. Etcetera.

You can tell an American in a cafe over here - apart from the fact that they're huge and shout a lot and have an annoying accent - they go in and ask for "coffee"... and the trendy bearded barista and/or waitperson immediately sparks up at the chance to weasel a tip because they're American and Americans always tip even when they don't have to, instead of giving them the withering look normally reserved for berks who ask for "coffee" - that being their default position for other nationalities.

It's the only tip they'll get all day, probably.;)

Nice story, Arm. Americans don't tip baristas in coffee shops. But we'll tip the waitress (especially if she's cute), the hotel maid, the taxi driver, the street musician, the parking valets, the hair dresser, the tour guides, the caddie, the baggage kid at the airport, the bartender, the preacher at your wedding (though he'll refuse)... but not the barista at the coffee shop. And if he has a beard, we won't even go to his counter. :D

We took our daughter out for dinner for her birthday tonight. After I got home, I had a small panic attack because I thought I tipped the wrong amount. It's consider an insult to a waitress if you don't tip the right amount. But after recalculating, I was fine. Whew.... :o

I'll tip the car-wash guy. But not the barista. The coffee is already overpriced. Why not tip the McDonald's person if you're tipping the barista?

I go to a coffee shop to get coffee. Just hot water run through some ground up coffee beans. Never anything fancy.

The petite little stainless stir spoons never come out, nor are there heart or leaf designs on the surface. How fucking cute is that?

All they have to do is pour me a cup.

Why should I tip for that? It takes them all of two seconds and I get charged $2.75 for 16 ounces.
So why should I tip?

Every once in a while they tell me they are out of coffee and I have to wait for them to brew another batch.

Really? It's a fucking coffee shop! You make and sell coffee. That's the gig.

So why should I tip?

I don't $2.75 is already too much.

Nice story, Arm. Americans don't tip baristas in coffee shops. But we'll tip the waitress (especially if she's cute), the hotel maid, the taxi driver, the street musician, the parking valets, the hair dresser, the tour guides, the caddie, the baggage kid at the airport, the bartender, the preacher at your wedding (though he'll refuse)... but not the barista at the coffee shop. And if he has a beard, we won't even go to his counter. :D

We took our daughter out for dinner for her birthday tonight. After I got home, I had a small panic attack because I thought I tipped the wrong amount. It's consider an insult to a waitress if you don't tip the right amount. But after recalculating, I was fine. Whew.... :o

Can't speak for all the rest, but for food service, the rule of thumb is--if they serve you at your table, you tip them. If they stand behind a counter, you don't.

I'm fond the occasional espresso but as a regular beverage it's a bit too hyperbolic, all attack and too little decay, bluster without staying power. It is Italian. At the end of the day, doesn't hold a candle to a nice mug of coffee that you can sip over an hour. No sugar or cream thanks, I'll have mine black.

I recently received one of those Keurig machines for me b-day. I have to say, not bad, not bad at all. It's also simple. Simple is always good in the morning before coffee.

It's not a choice I would have made myself. I'm typically opposed to anything that pretty much requires you to purchase a proprietary product from the same company. But there are also little reusable pods you can fill yourself. It only makes one cup at a time. However, it is quick, approx 30 seconds per cup. Must say, a pretty good cup-o-joe. I'm down from 6 to one cup(i think it is probably more like 10 oz), no sugar or cream required or desired.

4 out of 5 stars

Speaking of fancy coffee.........
How many have fallen for the espresso cake trick??

That perfect 'dark chocolate ' mini-cake with the whipped cream on top.

Take one bite and it's all over! You rush to the bathroom to wash out your mouth while everyone who is in on it, or aware of it, is laughing uncontrollably. :D

That's a one time prank.

I wonder who's the first barista to think of that, it's brilliant!

Can't speak for all the rest, but for food service, the rule of thumb is--if they serve you at your table, you tip them. If they stand behind a counter, you don't.
Except who was the doofus who first thought of putting a tip jar on that counter? :mad:

I can recall a time when what you said was true, but now every friggin' counter I see has a tip jar on it (or a tip coffee mug). I resisted putting money in it for years, but eventually caved. Typically I just put whatever loose coins are in my change. Inflation has pretty much made coins worthless anyway.

Anyway I really, really hate that guy who first started that practice.

Except, I don't usually carry loose change. I'm all plastic these days...

Same, unless I know I'm going somewhere where I'll need it that day and then I'll stop at CVS and buy a drink for $2 and get $20 cash back. Valet, car wash, whatever needs cash.

Can't drink black coffee, though I've only been drinking it daily for about 13 years. I'm sure my time is coming soon. :)

By the way, this recreation experiment failed. I got the closest to TH's taste by grabbing the "rich and creamy half and half" and adding sugar. I could not find, at any grocer in the area, any cream between "contains 10% fat" and either "contains at least 36% fat" or "heavy whipping". Damn FDA.

Except who was the doofus who first thought of putting a tip jar on that counter? :mad:

I can recall a time when what you said was true, but now every friggin' counter I see has a tip jar on it (or a tip coffee mug). I resisted putting money in it for years, but eventually caved. Typically I just put whatever loose coins are in my change. Inflation has pretty much made coins worthless anyway.

Anyway I really, really hate that guy who first started that practice.

I ignore the tip jar. Anyway, like others I've gone almost 100% plastic.

Wow from creamers to what type of coffee we like to "to tip or not tip" in one single page.... man this is a unique thread

Can we add another, 'cause i've got a peev.

What's with those lids on takeaway coffee with the little hole through which you're supposed to enjoy a scaldingly hot cup of coffee? What sadomasochist came up with this design? You can't draw cool air across the coffee as you drink, when you tip the cup it shoots near boiling hot coffee into your coffee hole scalding your tongue. No joke, people chuckle when I bitch about it, but i'm serious.

And styrofoam cups? Come on man, styrofoam? I'm not saving the coffee for some far off perfect moment, I want it hot in a paper cup where there is a race to the finish line to drink it before it cools too much. As long as it stays relatively warm for the up to 20 minutes it takes me to drink it, i'm good. I don't need it to remain scalding hot for an hour. Besides, anything served in styrofoam gets on my wick. My teeth touching styrofoam is like fingernails on a chalkboard, and styrofoam takes like a billion years to decompose.

Combining the two is :mad:

Wow from creamers to what type of coffee we like to "to tip or not tip" in one single page.... man this is a unique thread

Hah hah!

Of all the things to talk about on a forum that is populated by people recording music, isn't a thread about coffee creamer a bit odd to begin with?

For one, it's highly specific to a very narrow topic.

The only way to garner any participation for more than a few posts, is for it to spread out to wider coffee related topics.

And I applaud that. Now more of us can talk about absolutely meaningless crap and not feel left out. :D

That said, I'm gonna go refill my cup.

What's with those lids on takeaway coffee with the little hole through which you're supposed to enjoy a scaldingly hot cup of coffee? What sadomasochist came up with this design? You can't draw cool air across the coffee as you drink, when you tip the cup it shoots near boiling hot coffee into your coffee hole scalding your tongue. No joke, people chuckle when I bitch about it, but i'm serious.

Those are the worst. TH has almost as bad cups. Now, the best ones, in my opinion, come from 711. They are sturdy, the mouth opening is just right, and the lid always feels secure.

http://media.fooducate.com/products/images/180x180/4EB7E717-AE6A-0E49-4C4B-B84D2DC39BC3.jpeg

Hope that's not the one you were talking about. :)

Now more of us can talk about absolutely meaningless crap and not feel left out. :D

That said, I'm gonna go refill my cup.

Yeah, it's almost like we're sitting there actually drinking cups of coffee and bs-ing. Like a virtual coffee shop. That's boiling over (pun intended) with irony.

And before anyone attacks that use of the word irony, I'm going with this definition: a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.

I am sitting around drinking coffee, right now. In fact, my co-workers and I are talking about coffee in our chatroom. I might have started the conversation. :o

I am sitting around drinking coffee, right now. In fact, my co-workers and I are talking about coffee in our chatroom. I might have started the conversation. :o

Got my cup of home-brewed McDonalds coffee with a bit of Irish Creamer. Just woke up. The McD's coffee was just because it was on sale...not too bed though. The red jar, think it's medium roast.

You posted a few hours earlier, and we're in a different time zone, but I'm sitting around drinking Johnny Walker Black. No cream. Just a cube or two. :D

Last edited:
Back