The Celebrity Obituary Thread

I just found out today that reggae legend, Toots Hibbert, passed away 3 days ago... :( ...possibly from COVID-19...though no tests have been revealed yet.

'Toots' Hibbert, Jamaican reggae legend, dies aged 77 - CNN

Toots and the Maytals had somewhat of a revival this past year, and their cover of Peter Green's "Man of the World" got a lot of airplay (I really love their version of the song...even more than Fleetwood Mac's).

They just recently released their first album in like 10 years - "Got to be Tough"...and the title song was getting a lot of airplay (another one I really love...it says it all).

His voice is just so great...as much as I love Bob Marley...Toot's voice has that raw edge that really stands out.
I was really bummed to hear he passed away...

I saw the other day that Martin Birch, who produced a lot of albums for folks like Deep Purple, Fleetwood Mac, Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden died in August. That's the fifth major producer to die this year, along with Keith Olsen. Knox Phillips, Rupert Hines, and Sam Clayton, who produced albums by Toots and the Maytals.

Man, I played "Salisbury", "Look at Yourself" and "Demons and Wizards" to death back in the early '70s.

"July Morning" off of "Look at Yourself" was a big favorite...I always felt it was their answer to Deep Purple's "Child in Time" of that same period.

Last edited:
Damn...one after the other...but I guess we're in that period when a lot of these people are in their late 70s/early 80s.

Damn...one after the other...but I guess we're in that period when a lot of these people are in their late 70s/early 80s.

Not even 70, he was 69.

He was great. I remember listening to ToP as a kid for the horn section, being a band geek and all. When I started learning to play bass, I went back to them to see what Rocco played. He had a style that was difficult to copy, at least for me.

Not even 70, he was 69.

He was great. I remember listening to ToP as a kid for the horn section, being a band geek and all. When I started learning to play bass, I went back to them to see what Rocco played. He had a style that was difficult to copy, at least for me.

Rocco was one of my bass heroes. He had a style that was impossible to copy, unless you were at his level too.

Back