The Celebrity Obituary Thread

Charles Barksdale was a co-founder and bass vocalist for the doo-wop group The Dells.

The five member singing group was started in 1952 by friends who attended Thornton High School in Harvey, Illinois, near Chicago. Their big hit song, “Oh, What a Night,” released in 1956, has sold over a million copies.

The band has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the Vocal Group Hall of Fame. Robert Townsend has said The Dells were his inspiration for his movie, “The Five Heartbeats.”
Died: Wednesday, May 15, 2019.
Details of death: Died at the age of 84, according to Marshall Thompson of the Chi-Lites.

Bing video

Attachments

• dells.png
    dells.png
    45.6 KB · Views: 178
Eddie Money....at 70
he was a radio regular, never bought the cd's and didn't watch the show, but I think he was in a bar tour through Iowa in the day seems...I cant remember clearly. but the songs must have played 100+ times and Take Me home Tonight.....and a couple others. Heavy airplay somehow? Huey Lewis was similar sound. ...an early "Baby Boomer" gen... 1949

RIP

I liked the Cars back in the day; still do, although I listen rarely anymore. "Let the Good Times Roll," "My Best Friend's Girl," and "All That I Needed" were all over the radio my when I was in high school. Elliot Easton is a fantastic guitarist.

same here. Elliot had a new twist but could rock the old Carl Perkins type stuff .. he was/is a early major player in the Fender Custom Shop per the book.

the first Cars album is one of my top fav's, it was recorded on 4 track too if I recall (or maybe the radio demo was?). the following albums I bought never matched the first, imo. good tunes and in a time of Disco.....Cars were a guitar based band without dancing required..more pop than the Ramones but good stuff. Im curious what their gear was and studios used.

interesting studio article
Inside The Cars’ secret clubhouse on Newbury Street - The Boston Globe

Early in 1977, the Cars sent a demo tape of "Just What I Needed" to the influential Boston radio station WBCN and it quickly became the station's most-requested song. For the remainder of 1977, the Cars played Boston clubs, and by the end of the year they signed with Elektra. The group's eponymous debut album appeared in the summer of 1978 and it slowly built a following thanks to the hit singles "Just What I Needed" (number 27), "My Best Friend's Girl" (number 35), and "Good Times Roll" (number 41). The Cars stayed on the charts for over two-and-a-half years, delaying the release of the group's second album, and it eventually sold over six million copies.

ROY THOMAS BAKER-producer
Roy Thomas Baker: TAKING CHANCES AND MAKING HITS - Mixonline

Well.... I'm still alive. Not that anyone here remembers me.

It's saddens me to hear about the passing of Tom Neville. He was a prince of a guy. I tried to post in the thread above, but it's over 6 months old and wouldn't let me.

RIP old friend. :(

Last edited:
I tried to post in the thread above, but it's over 6 months old and wouldn't let me.

Hi Buck,
There's a pop-up notice when replying to old threads but you should be able to dismiss it and post anyway.
If this isn't the case could you let me know please?

Back