The Celebrity Obituary Thread

RIP, Jerry. And thank you for doing your little part to exploit and pollute our culture with lowest common denominator programming and content.

He seemed like a nice person. I do not appreciate the professional endeavor that he's most known for.

But on the bright side.... we've still got professional wrestling, soap operas, tractor pulls, and Donald Trump. :thumbs up:

That's a drag. He kept performing as it were right up until near the end, didn't he? I didn't learn to appreciate If you could read my mind until later in life. "I don't know where we went wrong but the feeling's gone and I just can't get it back", some of the truest words ever spoken about this fickle thing they call love. You can't make yourself love somebody, or they you. And word of caution, once there and gone, you're can't make it come back. Like I tell my nephew, you better treat that girl right. One of these days that switch might flip and all the rectifying of your ways and flowers in the world won't do a thing to fix it.

RIP, Mr Lightfoot

I actually cried when I saw this on the news this morning. I saw him in concert maybe 7-8 years ago? He seemed a bit shaky then, but when he came back for the 2nd set he was very good. I've been listening to my vinyl again for the last 6 months or so, and my favorite go to album is "Sundown". I love that album! Just something about the vibe of that record that I love, and his lyrics are so good. Anyway, RIP Mr. Lightfoot. I will miss you. The world is a little less beautiful today, at least for me.

I'm proud to say that I spent about half of my time in Canada in and around Lightfoot's hometown of Orillia. Unfortunately, I did not have appreciation for that style of music until after I moved away...

RIP Gordon :(

Well, tie me kangaroo down, sun arise and the amazingly good two little boys wont ever be heard again now Rolf is dead. Did his time, got out, then died. Saddest thing was he was a great painter too, and so many of his huge murals have been painted over.

Wow, and away goes Tina.
I was just talking to some kids today at the school I work in about Tina Turner. I said she used to be super hot, but now she looked like my Grandma, and they literally fell down and laughed.

Well, tie me kangaroo down, sun arise and the amazingly good two little boys wont ever be heard again now Rolf is dead
Didn't they just stop playing his songs once he was convicted ?
Did his time, got out, then died
I'm glad that his wife and daughter stuck by him. But I'm curious as to what they really thought and felt, especially his daughter.
Saddest thing was he was a great painter too
Saddest thing was that he was dodgy when it came to his daughters friends.......
and so many of his huge murals have been painted over
I'm not surprised. Why in the world would the murals of an unrepentant, convicted paedophile be left up ?
Chas Newby
No one's death is a celebratory matter as far as I'm concerned, but I do find some obituaries really stretch it, and Chas' I'm afraid is one of those. The papers have been milking the fact that he played "a few gigs with the Beatles" in 1960, but it doesn't really go anywhere and looks far more royal than it ever actually was. Next there'll be obituaries on the bus drivers that used to drive the buses that George Harrison and Paul McCartney travelled to school on before Paul met John !
If Pete Best passes, an obituary will be expected and rightly so. But Chas Newby ?
Pete Brown
I've long had a lot of time for Pete Brown. A lot of people aren't really aware of him but he did quite a bit more than co-write some of Cream's stuff. I'm currently reading, and last month finished, a book in which his views were sought and that's what I know him best for. He was one of the most articulate and knowledgeable commentators on rock and pop happenings during the 1960s, and his revelations stemmed from his actual memories, which made him very listenable.

Back