The Celebrity Obituary Thread

NY Times did an article a little while back. Essentially it raised the question that if 100 years from now there was one defining artist from the rock and roll period, who would it be.

The leading candidates were Beatles, Elvis, Dylan, and Rolling Stones. And it made convincing cases for all of them. In the end, they felt it was Chuck Berry.

He was a little before my time, but hard to argue with.

Edit: Here's the article if anyone's interested.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/29/...l?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share NYTimes: Which Rock Star Will Historians of the Future Remember?

Not sure if you need a subscription to view.

I was lucky to see him live, a 50's tour show in the 80's.
He headlined and showed up with his manager, alone carrying his guitar and sat about 15ft away in a cheap metal fold out chair. There wasnt any security or anything, mainly old people crowd. He was a skinny dude, and didnt give autographs his manager told me. But he was high enrgy that night and did all his greats and the "scooooting" move and behind his head etc..

I'll drink one for Chuck...:drunk:

I was just reading an article on how huge a pervert/deviant Chuck was, and now I don't feel so bad. Weird how it's hard to separate the two.

I was lucky to see him live, a 50's tour show in the 80's.
He headlined and showed up with his manager, alone carrying his guitar and sat about 15ft away in a cheap metal fold out chair. There wasnt any security or anything, mainly old people crowd. He was a skinny dude, and didnt give autographs his manager told me. But he was high enrgy that night and did all his greats and the "scooooting" move and behind his head etc..

I'll drink one for Chuck...:drunk:

I saw him at Billy Bob's in Texas in the 80's. Like you said, he was sitting on some bleachers, just hanging. I realized who he was and went and shook his hand. He had really long fingers, could be part of why he could do what he did.

Back