The Celebrity Obituary Thread

He didn't play "six decades" though. His playing career spanned six different decades. An astounding feat, no doubt, but people are being cute with their wording.

He played in the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. Not consecutive year after year. :laughings:

Especially since his 90s playing career was about ten seconds of one token shift. But I guess it counts. RIP Mr Hockey.

And a shooting victim that was on The Voice... Christina Grimmie shot at a concert.

'The Voice' Singer Christina Grimmie Dies After Being Shot at Orlando Concert - ABC News

Such an awful thing. I was a fan of hers and have followed her career through YouTube and Twitter. It's weird because with so much social media nowadays you kinda start to see people as friends of sorts. She was extremely talented, and just a very unique and likeable person. Right before I went bed last night I saw that she had been shot and stayed up a couple more hours but no news. Was hoping she was in the clear when I fell asleep, but saw where she passed away about 20 mins later. Still dosnt feel real, can't believe it. :(

Evidently she was doing a meet and greet after the show and was kinda over in a corner, so when the psycho walked up and started shooting there wasn't anywhere to go. Think he hit her 3 times. Fucking horrible.

Yeah, I'm pretty bummed about this one too. Was one of my favorite actors. If you haven't seen it and love horror/suspense flicks, "Green Room" stars Yelchin and is absolutely amazing.

He was great in Charlie Bartlett... :D ...such a shame to lose his talent, and for him to die from a freak accident like that.

Last edited:
wow, terrible:

"The 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee that rolled backward down a driveway and killed the actor Anton Yelchin early Sunday was a model that Fiat Chrysler has recalled for a gearshift issue that has confused drivers, leading them to accidentally leave the car in neutral when they think it is safely in park."

“Drivers erroneously concluding that their vehicle transmission is in the park position may be struck by the vehicle and injured,” the automaker said in a May report to federal regulators about the problem.

- http://nyti.ms/28KA5ZU

wow, terrible:

"The 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee that rolled backward down a driveway and killed the actor Anton Yelchin early Sunday was a model that Fiat Chrysler has recalled for a gearshift issue that has confused drivers, leading them to accidentally leave the car in neutral when they think it is safely in park."

“Drivers erroneously concluding that their vehicle transmission is in the park position may be struck by the vehicle and injured,” the automaker said in a May report to federal regulators about the problem.

- http://nyti.ms/28KA5ZU

I read that and thought 'Do we not have handbrakes?' - if I get out of my car and don't put it in Park AND put the handbrake on it lets me know. Would have thought that was fairly standard in modern automatic transmission vehicles. Poor dude, hell of a mistake to make.

Lots of folks never bother with the handbrake.
I always apply it, even with automatic tranny cars in park....left over from when I had nothing but manual shift cars for many years.

At work, we have a bunch of vehicles that are used by a variety of people...I use to confuse some of them because I would always apply the hand/emergency brake, even though the gear is in park.
They would come back in saying something is wrong with the vehicle...it won't move... :laughings:

I read that and thought 'Do we not have handbrakes?' - if I get out of my car and don't put it in Park AND put the handbrake on it lets me know. Would have thought that was fairly standard in modern automatic transmission vehicles. Poor dude, hell of a mistake to make.

In the US, it is more and more difficult to find cars with manual transmissions. They are all automatics and the handbrake or emergency brake is just an after thought.

Sounds like in this case, the manufacturer tried to fix something that wasn't broken. Reinvented the transmission and made it more difficult. And of course it's Fiat. Always thought their product was junk when they were selling cars in the US in the 70s. Come to show, they still make junk.

There's so many people I know that don't even use the emergency (heck maybe that name is why lol) brake...it's super common here, especially among people who live in flat areas.

I always set mine first in my auto trans car before shifting to park, because I park on an incline and I've always thought it takes the strain off of the transmission. Hell if I know though lol

I NEVER and I stress NEVER use or have used the parking brake in an auto trans car. Never. It's just totally unnecessary in flat coastal Texas. Our biggest hill is a freeway overpass. One time in my GTO a brake line busted from rubbing against (I should have routed them better) the oversized header tubes so I had to get home by holding the release handle and stomping on the emergency brake, but other than that, never.

In my stick shift fishing truck, I always use the parking brake.

My current car didn't come in manual, so I had to go auto. First time for decades. It won't let me out without putting it in Park and putting on the emergency brake (which isn't a handbrake anymore...). The fucking beeping that goes on if I try!!! And if I do try, I have to get on my knees and say "sorry" before it'll let me drive it again. Damn nanny cars.

That said, only other time I had an auto, back 20+ years ago, I always put the handbrake on anyway... but Sydney's a hilly place.

When I first moved here, I had a crap old Datsun, manual trans, and I was looking for a place to live and had to go check out a share house near the sea - just about the steepest street I've ever seen, going straight down into the Pacific Ocean, so I had to park it and turn the wheels to the kerb, plus borrow a couple of bricks before I went to check the house. :laughings:

Back