Can we change the name of Prime Time back to the Dragon Cave?

TAE

All you have is now
Hey Mods

First of all Happy New Year Mo Fo's!

Just putting it out there as one of the oldest / longest remaining members here at Hr.Com.

To clarify the question and a bit of history...Prime Time was a name change for Jenny's Place.

Jenny was David "Dragon" Felders girlfriend. David was the founder of Hr.Com

He made the Dragon Cave as the "off topic" space place for all of us early adapters to Home Recording to just go shoot the shit about anything and everything. Totally could be about music and recording but it was wide open to talking about ANYTHING and NO FILTER and he poised the climate as a place like a "Biker Bar" with a warning as such that if you are easily offended don't enter.

Well Jenny felt there should be an off topic place with a filter...and as a smart man trying to appease his main squeeze he created Jenny's place the PG cave. It never really took off, not even close to the Dragon Cave. Don't quite remeber the Chronology on this but after she left him it soon became Prime Time.

As most of the Mods know the history from folks like me, Dragon started getting a LOT annoyed that by the fact that by far the highest traffic on Hr.com was the dragon cave. The Dragon Cave is what got the rankings to a place that made it of value to sell. WTF? I made this site to discuss home recording. He even threatened to close it with a massive fuck you you dumb ass refrain from the Dragon Cave Choir.

back in 1999 when all this started we didn't know what a internet troll was though they existed.

All I can say and as many who have dropped in since is there was nothing ANYWHERE on the internet that was quite like that little place and space on the internets.

Well as though of you who rolled through the period when everything went to hell...there came a time to do something and the Mods , new owners at the time decided it was time to close the cave and just let Prime Time be the off topic forum.

Prime Time has evolved and it took permanently banning several shit stirrers to get it to a place of civility...but where we could still discuss hot topics, argue and debate and move on with a certain level of mutual respect for each other. It was shaky ground figuring out what we could do and say without getting the ban. Miro's temporary banning is the first in a long time here in Prime Time. Though I like Miro and his passion for music and recording he was leaning on the edge of the rail pretty hard with the nit picking, argumentative banter. Did he cross the line? I don't know...maybe? Not my call. Only Steen knows the dialogue that went on between he and Miro but having dealt with Steen several times I can say he is a VERY reasonable cat and if he felt the need to clip Miro's wings he did it begrudgingly but he did it to try and keep the banter here reasonable and at a certain level of respectfulness. I got warnings in the past and did my best to just try and play along as nicely as my nasty old ass could.

I hope Miro comes back...Maybe he will , maybe he won't but I can promise you there isn't one single person that was a member here for any amount of time that became friends with other members here that doesn't think about this place every so often with a smile and a laugh. Why do you think all these people drop in and out who haven't been here in ages...just to see who's still here and maybe have a Kumbaya moment.

Well that's my New years request and I totally understand if you Mods just don't want to mess with things.

One of the old members dropped in and couldn't remember the name of the place because it was gone...When I responded to him he says ..That's right it was the Dragon Cave! Well folks we all get old n forgetful, I'm sure getting that way.

It really doesn't matter if it is Prime Time or the Dragon Cave but as a founder here seeing that with newer members becoming regulars here and keeping this little place in cyberspace alive with new stuff to BS about ...it's starting to feel like the original Dragon Cave again..

All good either way... Happy New Year!

I always thought Jenny was his cat. Prime Time was my idea, we wanted to give it a more approachable name instead of his cat.

It is an off topic forum where people could have conversations without being attacked by the cave dwellers. The big difference was, at the time, the cave was not moderated, Prime Time was. The other difference was the cave was private and Prime Time was public. The posts generated in the cave were not counted and did not add to the site's activity, nor were they accessible to search-bots and internet metrics. So, while there were a lot of people in the cave with many posts, they didn't add to the statistics.

The two things that got the cave shutdown were the constants post reports and the cave activity creeping into the on-topics. I'm not in favor of bringing back the name. I don't want the reference to Fielder and I don't want the cave mentality back.

I understand what the cave meant to you and the other dwellers. I know it's a place not easily replicated. There were other sites created to do just that and I'm under the impression they haven't really captured that "cave essence" :). But then again, nothing will. Not even if Prime Time were to be renamed or if we were to bring back the Cave. (which I believe is impossible at this point.)

My vote counts just as much as yours or anyone else's and I say leave it the way it is. I like Prime Time!! :D

I'd pretty much echo what Chili says although I am curious if you're asking for a name change or asking for a change in policy such that PrimeTime, or whatever it's called, is no longer moderated.
Can't say I'm really in favour of either but I am interested to know what you're asking.

Personally I have have no problem whatsoever with banter that's close to the bone, which was probably the main appeal of the cave.
Although that's not really advertised or encouraged with Prime Time, banning or moderation there is rarely about that.
Banning's usually the last resort having identified a pattern in someone - Frequently aggressive, or unnecessarily dismissive, or argumentative...Some long-term quality that effectively ruins it for everyone else.

Anyway...These wonderful memories we have of places and times long gone are, in my experience, usually much more about the people than the environment.
If old Cave Dwellers are calling in to say hey, there's no reason they shouldn't stick around! ;)

I think it's important to remember what Dylan once said....

While one who sings with his tongue on fire
Gargles in the rat race choir
Bent out of shape by societies' pliers
Cares not to come up any higher
But rather get you down in the hole that he's in

I have no idea exactly what the hell that's supposed to mean, but it's certainly something we can all take to heart.

Dylan also said,

Pointed threats, they bluff with scorn
Suicide remarks are torn
From the fools gold mouthpiece
The hollow horn plays
Wasted words proved to warn
That he not busy being born is busy dying

Pity the mods. They don't need any of that Cave noise.

I wasn't a cave dweller, but I've been on numerous sites that have been pretty much destroyed by forums like that. I used to run a couple of BBSs (back in the pre-internet days of 1200 baud modems). There were always a few who insisted on being as uncouth, undisciplined, and outright rude as much as possible.

Long ago, I decided to pretty much stay out of the political and religious discussions. I have no need to change anyone's mind about such beliefs, nor to argue ad infinitum about such topics.

Its a shame to lose valued members, folks who contributed lots of knowledge about audio, recording, studios and music in general because they get in a pissing match over hot button topics.

Prime Time seems to be OK the way it is, Maybe it's not the most obvious topic name, but it's sufficient.

All good to both Chili and Steen....and to answer if I am suggesting no moderation...no way...In these times you have to have a hammer sometimes to pound the loose nail down or pull it out and toss it.

I like the tone of where we are and I don't feel restricted at all about talking about anything...just mutual respect and fun..

The guy coming here not being able to find the "hang out" was the impetus for asking but I get it...and absolutely it was and still is the peeps that hung and hang here now that make this what it was and is...

I think it's important to remember what Dylan once said....

Half wracked Prejudice leaped forth
rip down all hate I screamed
Lies that life is black and white
spoke from my skull I dreamed
Good and bad I define these terms
Quite clear, no doubt somehow
But I was soo much older then
I'm younger than that now...

I love playing that song! The Byrds should have done an "album" version with all of the verses.

Have you ever seen My Back Pages live from the 30th anniversary concert? It gives me chills seeing all of those guys together onstage. Sadly, some no longer with us. For some reason when it gets to George it hits me right in the chest(he still had the beatles' footwork going on, heh). Hard to believe some are gone, hard to believe others are as old as they are.....hard to believe we are as old as we are!

Have you ever seen My Back Pages live from the 30th anniversary concert? Hard to believe some are gone, hard to believe others are as old as they are.....hard to believe we are as old as we are!
Yes I have seen it and thanks for posting it I actually thought of it as I wrote the words BTW from memory ( that's an accomplishment for this addle brained old man). That particular rendition is my favorite. Dylan was a big part of my younger years songwriting influence. In writing this I was trying to think who really influenced me and he would be in the top 3 along with Lennon / McCartney and Bernie Taupin / Elton...from there Pink Floyd, Hendrix, King Crimson and heck of lot more. I don't read music. I only purchased two music books when I was young and learning ( now I'm old and still learning) one was Bob Dylans and one was of Eltons...( still have em some 50 years later...didn't want to be in a cover or top 40 band I wanted to create music. But I learned a lot of those songs and my back pages is one of my favorites...Bobby is a frickin wordsmith but a wordy one ;) Mc Cartney on the other hand is generally Mr. short n sweet and Taupin somewhere in the middle. It's only words but words are all I have to take you heart away.. Now that I'm old the laundry list of songwriting influences is so looooooooooong but I'm still listening and learning "honing my craft"...I'll get it figured out in the end...If I haven't figured it out, it isn't the end.

Happy new year, all. I know you were all dying to know what I think about this so fill yer boots.

The Cave, during it's heyday, was a convergence of the right people in the right place at the right time. It was lightning in a bottle.

You can't simply recreate the experience, because it's not the same people, or the same place, or the same time. We can all wax nostalgic over the Cave, but it's not ever coming back, even if the site owners focused every bit of energy and capital they have to make it happen.

Maybe we can help PT be a more interesting experience; I suggest we all become more interesting at our earliest convenience.

Maybe we can help PT be a more interesting experience; I suggest we all become more interesting at our earliest convenience.

AND Informative Damnit! I'm all over it brother!

Check out my Zappa Movie review!...BTW Happy Freekin New Year!

More fun fun fun in twenty twenty one!

Last edited:
Back