Bye Bye Gearslutz Political correctness rears its ugly head

TAE

All you have is now
Yep they are going to change the name after 18 years because it just is not appropriate anymore....

And these times they are a changin....

It's pathetic - Gearslutz is offensive - but the language in much modern music isn't? When you publish music now, they even have an explicit lyrics button for goodness sake! A minority group (in numbers) have infiltrated every area of society and their minority opinions suddenly seem to have huge weight, and everyone capitulated for fear of getting slagged off even more. Has the world really lost it's sense of humour in the short time they've existed. Who exactly are these people who are offended?

I'm a member of a Guild, here in the UK - with Cameramen in the title - we even had female cameramen. It worked fine. Then these people suddenly appeared and made the title unacceptable and we had disputes and anger, and now the name has gone. We have new people on the council, and we now have environmental policies and today I got a survey. Instead of asking if we wanted more workshops, more training more business info and deals on kit from selected dealers, the survey asked for our sexual orientation, our gender, or transgender history, our age and stuff like that. Presumably somebody thinks it important that minorities are increased in numbers in our membership, when in the UK it is a fact that only about 5% of the population are non-white, and the vast majority of people interested in camerawork are not women. Nobody cares if you book somebody and the person who turns up is a black lesbian midget with one leg - IF, and only if, they can do the job. I really get the opinion that here nobody really cares any more - we all have friends who sit in a minority group. I have a number of friends who are dwarfs, and one who is a midget and he gets really cross when he gets called a dwarf, but for work purposes, he of course is in the dwarf group for employment. It's getting silly now and we're almost expected to choose a less competent person for some quote reason and this I object to. In the area I live in, virtually everyone is white. On the other hand the majority of my performing friends are gay - who cares? Guilting gearslutz into changing a name because a few find it offensive is unacceptable. The people it offends are on a cause, and get in the way of real life!

Sorry folks - but this forum is a good one. Nobody cares about any of the isms. Imagine if the owners suddenly had to find out the categories we all sit in to prove they were equality minded. To do that would be devisive and destructive.

It's pathetic

I'm a member of a Guild, here in the UK - with Cameramen in the title - we even had female cameramen. It worked fine. Then these people suddenly appeared and made the title unacceptable and we had disputes and anger, and now the name has gone. .

It is a very odd time in our perfect little "don't want to offend anybody, no way, no how" world.

I'm not him or a her I'm a "them" Saw that on a TV show last week....where the sexually diverse daughter was explaining what she was to her parents.

Hey this could of worked for you guys...Camerathem :laughings:

The whole thing is absurd...Hmmm lets look at the plumbing on that dog, cat, cow, pig, bird...hmmmmm? Only two choices? How silly..... we humans are "special" animals far more diverse than just male or female...Lame.

And on gearslutz...At least here in Cali when I was growing up both guys and gals could be a slut meaning they couldn't get enough sex and were quick to jump in the sack ..Gear sluts would mean we just couldn't get enough gear and were quick to buy more.

I was never offended by the name and totally got what it meant...18 years later the owner realized that what he started as a fun thing for mostly young adult and adult male rock n rollers to bullshit about gear turned into a money making machine and that he could increase visitations by cleaning up the name. Turned out that music teachers of adolescents and Church's were sending musicians here for advice and the name kind of made them cringe...so after several request to change the name I guess even a petition. He realized it would not only be the "proper" thing to do ...it would also most likely increase traffic which increases the amount of $$$$$ It is his football , he gets to make the rules....

On the note of political correctness this guys hits a strong chord on the subject and then a pretty good joke to boot! Love how he slides into an Irish brogue...

Language is fluid and constantly evolving. Words taken on new meanings, shed old meanings, and often have many meanings.

The dictionary provides definitions, but any word has no meaning unless it has context.

However the linguistic totalitarians are very much in the habit of deciding that a word has one, and only meaning, that it is a derogatory meaning, and that that meaning is fixed in perpetuity.

They are the nuance robbers who have no time for context, and these neo-puritans are robbing the language of richness and diversity, ironically characteriistics that they declare they support.

I can understand people and businesses buckling to them, though I wish they wouldn't. It's a protection racket . . . if you don't do as they require , they will shut you down.

In the industry I work in here - every job role seems to have a nickname. Is this the same in the US?

We have noise boys - the sound people, who can happily be any gender. We have the lampies - who do lights, the dancers will be called the twirlies and now we have the video people and they are often referred to as vidiots sometimes. The people who shove flight cases out of trucks are humpers (which in the UK humping is another term for er, having sex) The actors get referred to as 'the turns'. Musicians tend to just be musos. I've used many of these terms for 40 years. Now - a few newcomers to the industry have decided some of these terms are derogatory and need to change. performing arts people here have been 'luvvies' for getting in for a hundred years and that too is now offensive. It's kind of destroying history.

The silliest thing is in schools, where kids have been studying the Second World War. The Germans have been sanitised. Nowhere in the school books is a Swastika - the emblem of the Nazis. It's been removed and replaced by the black cross. History is being re-written. The symbol is offensive to many Germans, because it stood for a very bad time in their history, but to simply rub it out is madness.

World is just fucking insane.

Eh.... let me correct that. The people that run the world are fucking insane.

Their ideas and visions of how the world ‘should’ be, are trickled down to the masses via corporate entities, governments, media, Hollywood, and all the Social justice organizers they control.

We’re fucked if we don’t stand together against it.

Let me go get my mask and see if I can get some people organized.....with proper social distancing of course. ;)

The Swastika believe it or not was actually in one form a kind of peace symbol. And we were at war with Germans not Nazi's. The Nazi's were a political party. But now its the nasty Nazi's not the nasty Germans.

Slag is a substance left over from metal smelting and now turned into loft insulation. Although a woman wouldnt want to be called by it.

Fag is a British name for a cigarette. The same word meaning the same item in other English speaking countries.........all except one.

Faggot is a British Midlands meat dish made from offal or an old measurement unit.

Funny isnt it

I had to look up what Gearslutz was. A forum is changing it's name. That's beyond pathetic. Whichever genius over there decided that, please tell them I said they're an asshole and whimp. Even if their forum was under attack by the PC police (which I doubt), if the name was good enough 18 years ago, it's good enough in 2021.

I'm looking forward to the backlash on this crap. When words can offend you to tears, imagine what actual hostile behavior will do.

The Swastika believe it or not was actually in one form a kind of peace symbol. And we were at war with Germans not Nazi's. The Nazi's were a political party. But now its the nasty Nazi's not the nasty Germans.

Slag is a substance left over from metal smelting and now turned into loft insulation. Although a woman wouldnt want to be called by it.

Fag is a British name for a cigarette. The same word meaning the same item in other English speaking countries.........all except one.

Faggot is a British Midlands meat dish made from offal or an old measurement unit.

Funny isnt it

I always see Swastickas for sale on auction sites. But, they're usually from native american history. It's a shame such a peaceful symbol is now only thought of with hate.

Language is fluid and constantly evolving. Words taken on new meanings, shed old meanings, and often have many meanings.

The dictionary provides definitions, but any word has no meaning unless it has context.

However the linguistic totalitarians are very much in the habit of deciding that a word has one, and only meaning, that it is a derogatory meaning, and that that meaning is fixed in perpetuity.

They are the nuance robbers who have no time for context, and these neo-puritans are robbing the language of richness and diversity, ironically characteriistics that they declare they support.

I can understand people and businesses buckling to them, though I wish they wouldn't. It's a protection racket . . . if you don't do as they require , they will shut you down.
Former President Bill Clinton certainly proved that words take on new meanings or rendered meaningless when being questioned.

“It depends on what the meaning of the word ‘is’ is. If the—if he—if ‘is’ means is and never has been, that is not—that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement. … Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true.”

"The dictionary provides definitions, but any word has no meaning unless it has context."

My question is, "Who among us has the right to determine what constitutes context and rendering words written as meaningless?

They were petitioned by thousands of audio professionals, forum members, and enthusiasts from around the web. The owner agreed that, even though the original name was a joke about gear enthusiasts and meant no harm, its time for a change to a more inclusive and positive name.

I personally despise that place, but it has been entertaining to see the butthurt about it from people that won't be at all harmed by the change.

They were petitioned by thousands of audio professionals, forum members, and enthusiasts from around the web. The owner agreed that, even though the original name was a joke about gear enthusiasts and meant no harm, its time for a change to a more inclusive and positive name.

I personally despise that place, but it has been entertaining to see the butthurt about it from people that won't be at all harmed by the change.
When I began reading at Gearslutz it didn't very long to read that many of those who posted there are audio professionals, people with deep pockets who can afford the best of gear, far out of reach of the average home recorder enthusiast.
Nonetheless, some of the gear discussed was gear that people at HR were also using at the home recording level.

I can go on and on about this statement right there. No one makes that difference!

Former President Bill Clinton certainly proved that words take on new meanings or rendered meaningless when being questioned.

“It depends on what the meaning of the word ‘is’ is. If the—if he—if ‘is’ means is and never has been, that is not—that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement. … Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true.”

"The dictionary provides definitions, but any word has no meaning unless it has context."

My question is, "Who among us has the right to determine what constitutes context and rendering words written as meaningless?

Why was Clinton impeached again? Getting some BBW pussy? I never agreed with the female point of view on this. Women cheat all the time. It is unAmerican to be faithful. stupid women spend too much time in schools with their fuckin words anyways..

If you were married to Hilary side pussy should be a given. She probably had an opinion about everything.

Clinton proved to be operational as a War Time president.
His gun worked.
He could seal the deal and stick it in.
Stained dresses...come on girls its nobodies business but his..

Context is provided by someone using a word in a sentence, or with other words.

A reader (or listener) determines meaning on the basis of those accompanying words.

A word by itself, without any context has no meaning.

Bit

What does 'bit' mean above?

Context is provided by someone using a word in a sentence, or with other words.

A reader (or listener) determines meaning on the basis of those accompanying words.

A word by itself, without any context has no meaning.

Bit

What does 'bit' mean above?
in the context used above it could mean several things including being an acronym. But I Thought?

My two young grandsons (4 and 6) and I were having a fun time with the word But a month or so back.... Buuuuut you should have told me...Buuuuut you didn't ask. Buuuuut then again maybe you shouldn't have... It's only words...... In this crazy politically correct world I have concluded that way too many people are letting themselves get buuuuuuutt hurt over silly shit...Ya gotta pick the sword you want to fall on...hopefully it is a worthy sword...it seems people today are like little kids in a classroom searching for a way to tattle tell.

Back