Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Billie Eilish

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by TAE View Post
    Today's youth will be the ruin of our world...Paraphrasing what the Greeks said @ 1000 years ago...

There is so much freekin talent out there and there always has been. And yes it is a totally different "business" than it was before the "internets"...but it is still not a matter of who's better...It's the frickin luck of the draw.. some lucky ones get a golden ticket and some get a very long one way ticket to nowhere.
    I wonder with so much talent, (population in numbers? more of every person type) and the internet might offer more to make money or some "success" but will it be shorter lived?

I know I get overload sometimes when theres so many choices and videos and pop-up ads to play music at me.... age maybe plays into the drowning vibe of too many too much.

The crowds seem to keep getting larger too, the stadiums larger....the sound systems have improved a lot.

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolCat View Post
    McCartney is to me a true songwriter, he can write anything it seems of all genres.
    He was always my favorite Beatle.

Seriously though...Paul kinda got slagged for the "silly love songs"...but I think he wrote much more than that, and IMO was the most diverse of the four Beatles.
    His first solo album...the one with the bowl of cherries pic...and the subsequent "Ram"...are the two key albums that got me into the solo recording thing.

I always new people could record music, but when he put out his first, the light bulb went on in my head...that it was quite possible with the multitrack technology to put together an entire mix all by yourself. Up to then, I always figured you needed the band and a studio to do it...and here was Paul, doing a home recording thing. Plus, some of the songs on those two "solo" (he had some help) albums are really great.

Oh I like John's solo stuff too...not so much the crap with Yoko (she's just annoying to listen to when she sings)...but he was in a different place, though when he kinda had his "comeback" with the "Double Fantasy" album...I was extremely pleased to see decided to stop baking bread at home, and get back to making some music. I love that album.

Also George...there was a quiet depth to his playing and also his originals. I thought "Dark Horse" was a terrific album.
    I always liked the sound of his guitar work...very identifiable...which IMO is more important than being a technical shredder.

Ringo...not much of a songwriter...but how can you not love Ringo!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TAE View Post
    Same with Shawn Mendes...
    Good looking kid (which is why the house is packed with young girls)...good voice, decent songs...but I really can't stand his vocal style.
    It's a very common vocal style with the Pop crowd. You can find a bunch of younger guys singing exactly that same way.

There's a female version of that vocal style that I hate even more...you can hear it from dozens of the younger Pop divas.
    It's something in the phrasing, and how they extend certain vowels...I can't quite put my finger on it...I just don't care for it.
    Like...after 1-2 songs...I have to turn it off.
    I also think that vocal style forces them to write songs in a certain style so it fits...and then every song sounds the same, with the same vocal delivery.

I guess these kids all hear some Pop star singing like that, and then they all try to mimic...and we end up with that singular Pop vocal style, rather then them developing their own. I really like when I hear a younger singer that is NOT following that trend.

That said...I'm sure he'll float on top for awhile, as long as he stays cute and there are enough young girls swooning over him.

Thanks
    Since it was brought up about McCartney....As a young aspiring songwriter I studied Dylan, McCartney, and the Taupin / Elton styles of song writing closely and surely there were a ton of other influences like Burt Bacharach, Herb Alpert, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Zappa, Motown..the list is long and wide....But surely McCartney was one of my earliest studies and influences. For the longest time I felt McCartney was the meat and potato's of the Beatles catalog ...30 years later getting hold of a ton of live studio out takes of the fab four...I came to find I had underestimated Mr. Lennon's gifts greatly ...the boy was a lyrical , spherical, diabolical denizen of the deep genius of sorts fo sho!
    Tomco Audio Electric ( TAE )

Creating audible vibrations to stimulate and entertain mankind and other small cave dwelling furry animals.

"The secret to a long life is to live a long time" .... "You can quote me on that" TAE

Thanks
    I think that was their strength. Lennon and McCartney were like Yin and Yang. Paul is definitely a leveling force, and is an very accomplished "musician", and John was quite the eccentric, with a gift for language, the turn of a phrase, a sense of humor and musical puns. Paul's songs were generally melodic, John's were often concentrated on a single note or two for much of the verse.

Put together, it made the songs more interesting.

Thread Information