Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Billie Eilish

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    This video from CBS Sunday Morning show where they did the album. Since you really don't have a lot of acoustic instruments that need space, it's very plausible to do the whole thing there. I think it is a bit like early Pomplamoose from 10 years ago. A Mac, Ableton or Logic, a good mic, and a lot of talent will get you a long way if you have the expertise. Sure, her brother sent the mixes off to be mastered, but there's no crime in that. Its nothing every other artist hasn't done for the past 50 years.

Whether you like the songs is just a matter of taste. Some were fine, but Xanny is unlistenable to me. If you want to see an good treatise on that one, check out this .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolCat View Post
    ..no one needs a Capitol Record Studio with $30,000 microphones for this type music.
    Yes...I agree with you.
    For that type of music...it's mostly about samples and mostly about "sound design"...lots of unusual ear candy layered over very basic beats.
    Except for her vocals, I doubt there was much live tracking of anything else...maybe a bit of guitar, if even that.

Of course...there are all kinds of other music where that ^^^ approach simply wouldn't work...and that's why I say it can be misleading to other "bedroom" studio folks, if their music styles are different, and they make the wrong assumptions about what they can do in the bedroom.
    Of course, if they're doing the same kind of stuff as Eilish and her bro...then they can use them as a template. I'm sure right about now there are a few hundred or more people already gearing up to mimic that style...which tends to always happen in the Pop world when someone goes big.

Thanks
    I first wrote about Billy and her brother in this thread HERE in the end of December.

Clearly she's not for everyone, my wife hates her, and also hated Taylor Swift. I'm big fans of both and have always been. Both excellent gifted songwriters...

I watched her on the Late show when Alicia Keys ( I also really appreciate and enjoy) BEFORE the grammys and all I can say Holy shit she is talented...She and Alicia did one of her songs live with Alicia trading vocals and playing the keys unaccompanied ...live... Awesome.. They also showed a video of Billie doing an Adelle song at a talent show at freekin 12 years old! ...this girl was destined for stardom.

Judge and hate all you want ...it's a bad ass cool success story of a very talented young lady and her brother and some extremely supportive parents... All that and if the fickle finger of fate had pointed the wrong way with all that going for them...We very possibly may have never heard of her.......as is the case with a million other very talented folks...that just weren't at the right place at the right time.

Happy for her success ...and hope to hear even better stuff as she grows in ability to write and produce her music...

Below is a snippet @ 1:45 in the video of the show where Alicia is giving Billie Cred and they show the clip when she was 12...damn! I know I sure couldn't have pulled that off at 12 nor most anybody that has become a pro...The kid was blessed with the a beautiful gift.

Last edited by TAE; 02-09-2020 at 10:55.
    Tomco Audio Electric ( TAE )

Creating audible vibrations to stimulate and entertain mankind and other small cave dwelling furry animals.

"The secret to a long life is to live a long time" .... "You can quote me on that" TAE

Thanks
    Billie Eilish is a Pop version of Marilyn Manson for teenage girls.

5 years from now many of her fans will be laughing at themselves for liking this crap.

From a recording aspect.... many of us have been star-struck at the thought of our own home recordings hitting the big time ever since we heard that Tom Scholz recorded Boston's debut album in his basement.

Sometimes it's true that great songs were recorded at home, but more often it's a half-truth.

To be honest, the only album in the article below that I'm familiar with is (obviously) The Rolling Stone's Exile On Main Street....

15 Legendary Albums That Were Recorded in Bedrooms, Kitchens, and Garages
    Cats land on their feet. Toast lands jellyside down.

A cat glued to some jelly toast will hover in quantum indecision.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Buck62 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck62 View Post

5 years from now many of her fans will be laughing at themselves for liking this crap.
    On this point I politely disagree but I guess the only way we'll know is to check back on this thread in 5 years....The way things are going right now in my world it is more than likely I won't be around to check....cest la vie ....it is what it is...

Sometimes it's true that great songs were recorded at home, but more often it's a half-truth.

To be honest, the only album in the article below that I'm familiar with is (obviously) The Rolling Stone's Exile On Main Street....

15 Legendary Albums That Were Recorded in Bedrooms, Kitchens, and Garages
    Yeah on this one I agree "legendary?" most I am not aware of...With the Stones ...The dumb album may have not been recorded in a "studio" but I've personally seen Wally Heider remote recording Van and these "vans back in the day were completely state of the art so it's not like some unsigned "loser" recording a song in their garage on an 8 track and it becoming a world wide recognizable HUGE success...With regard to Dave Grohl...he'd already made it and you know they used top of the line recording equipment...so... Kudo's to Billies brother...yeah he may have been slightly known from his acting career and had made some middle class income but certainly not millionaire status when he used his Imac to record Billies first world wide hits...without any major music company helping in any way...

Speaking again of that 8 track recording...Beck did pull that trick off....

"Loser" was written and recorded by Beck while he was visiting Stephenson's home.[9] Although the song was created spontaneously, Beck has claimed to have had the idea for the song since the late 1980s; he once said, "I don't think I would have been able to go in and do 'Loser' in a six-hour shot without having been somewhat prepared. It was accidental, but it was something that I'd been working toward for a long time."[10] Beck played some of his songs for Stephenson; Stephenson enjoyed the songs, but was unimpressed by Beck's rapping. Stephenson recorded a brief guitar part from one of Beck's songs onto an 8-track, looped it, and added a drum track to it.[9] Stephenson then added his own sitar playing and other samples.[11] At that point, Beck began writing and improvising lyrics for the recording.[9] For the song's vocals, Beck attempted to emulate the rapping style of Public Enemy's Chuck D.[11] According to Beck, the line that became the song's chorus originated because "When [Stephenson] played it back, I thought, 'Man, I'm the worst rapper in the world, I'm just a loser.' So I started singing 'I'm a loser baby, so why don't you kill me.'"[12] According to Rothrock, the song was largely finished in six and a half hours, with two minor overdubs several months later
    Tomco Audio Electric ( TAE )

Creating audible vibrations to stimulate and entertain mankind and other small cave dwelling furry animals.

"The secret to a long life is to live a long time" .... "You can quote me on that" TAE

Thanks

She may be talented (like many other people are, but don't get that break)...but I too feel that her style of music, like so much of the "Modern Pop" (or maybe "Juvenile Pop" is better) that we've had the last 10-15 years...is highly disposable because the fan base tends to be very young, and because the fan base is way too trend and convenience focused.
    What is hip today is boring tomorrow, as soon as the next new trend comes along...but it's now at a much more rapid rate than in past decades, due to the internet and social media.
    All that "viral" nonsense is truly like a virus. It hits big...and then it's gone and generally forgotten.
    Just consider the "Modern Pop" icons of the last 15 years....how quickly they have been pushed aside in favor of new ones.

IMO, much of it really has to do with the target age group...which is young girls, who grow up to be women, and they tend to want to discard that young girl stuff along the way, because even adult women are way too fashion/trend focused...and they are always looking for the next new trend.
    Not trying to just stereotyped...but it's really pretty obvious. IMO...Eilish will be selling perfume and clothing 5 years from now, trying to ride the trend wave into adulthood.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TAE View Post
    On this point I politely disagree but I guess the only way we'll know is to check back on this thread in 5 years....The way things are going right now in my world it is more than likely I won't be around to check....cest la vie ....it is what it is...
    What's going on with you...that sounds pretty somber?

Thanks
    Having a not so fun battle with an aggressive type of squamous skin cancer. Multiple surgeries radiation immunotherapy. More surgeries and going forward it looks like a game of whack a mole until thereís no more of me to whack. I definitely may hang for more than 5 years but with this shit there are no guarantees. At this moment their not saying get you affairs in order just that based upon what has gone down so far. Itís going to be an ongoing battle unless a cure pops up in the meantime. It could happen but what they thought would help me actually accelerated the dang stuff. Pretty scared up but overall Heath and energy are great and Iím totally grateful for what I have and am able to do. Iíll keep on keeping on till thereís nothing to keep.

Thanks
    Yeah...sometimes the doctors mean to do the best, but often they're just experimenting, since everyone is different and they can never really guarantee anything.
    I think the best you can do for yourself is keep your positive attitude...that alone will extend your outlook.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to miroslav For This Useful Post:

TAE

Thanks
    Hey TAE........Micro is right about having a positive outlook. I have a relative who is fighting a cancer as well. The immunotherapy they tried at first was terrible.....for both his energy and his results. After a while the docs figured out how to sort of balance all the different regimens and things got much better over time. Hang in there bud.
    Just A Song Writer..........

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickster For This Useful Post:

TAE

Thread Information