Back... back...

spantini

COO of me, inc.
Do any of you travel back to read the oldest threads here on HR? Some are quite out of date with all the newer gear and software making them irrelevant. Others are still relevant and very educational.

I can barely find what I'm looking for in the new threads.

The problem I've had over the years is finding the proper words to search for. With Pro Tools if I'm going to ask a question, I have to run downstairs open the program and write the name of what I want to know about. Even then, I sometimes use the wrong term.

I stick with what I can see.

The meat and potatoes of what put HR.Com on the map...made it "sellable"...was the dragon cave...For those of us who know...it was an amazing place and space in time...The original owner hated it because it was where 90% of the traffic was...and really had nothing to do with home recording....It was a rock n roller , musician, hobby recordist cyber watering hole in a time when there was no such thing...

There were so many epic threads on a ton of topics from politics , religion to what singer was the best etc..we even had a guy hint he was going to commit suicide and it was awesome see the community take action and make sure he didn't..

Crazy visitors that got schooled...just a trip...but as time went on it got to be a pretty shitty place with a lot of junior high back biting BS and the new owners and mods decided it must be closed....I hated that it went that way...but they took it one step further and deleted 10+ years of incredible banter.... I know a lot of people here are fine with that...I'm not and many other weren't and left never to return...our loss... It's a different time but peeps like you would have fit in just fine and your post are in line with the kind of stuff that would pop up there...Some of these nuts were just incredibly funny and clever...real fun entertainment...Oh well that was then, this is now and things have changed, Names and faces, games and places rearranged.....

The meat and potatoes of what put HR.Com on the map...made it "sellable"...was the dragon cave...For those of us who know...it was an amazing place and space in time...The original owner hated it because it was where 90% of the traffic was...and really had nothing to do with home recording....It was a rock n roller , musician, hobby recordist cyber watering hole in a time when there was no such thing...

There were so many epic threads on a ton of topics from politics , religion to what singer was the best etc..we even had a guy hint he was going to commit suicide and it was awesome see the community take action and make sure he didn't..

Crazy visitors that got schooled...just a trip...but as time went on it got to be a pretty shitty place with a lot of junior high back biting BS and the new owners and mods decided it must be closed....I hated that it went that way...but they took it one step further and deleted 10+ years of incredible banter.... I know a lot of people here are fine with that...I'm not and many other weren't and left never to return...our loss... It's a different time but peeps like you would have fit in just fine and your post are in line with the kind of stuff that would pop up there...Some of these nuts were just incredibly funny and clever...real fun entertainment...Oh well that was then, this is now and things have changed, Names and faces, games and places rearranged.....

That must have been before my time. But, it sounds like the kind of place I'd have been banned from within a few weeks.

It's official.. I'm an HR peep :D

From what I've seen, I think just about every BBS is eventually taken over with off-topic threads.

Spent another couple hours in the 'Don't Fear The Reaper' basement today and picked up a couple tips from back in 2007. One poster, 'pipeline', must not have slept at all because they were going above and beyond to assist new Reaper users. Writing templates and add-ons to help solve problems.

Spent another couple hours in the 'Don't Fear The Reaper' basement today and picked up a couple tips from back in 2007. One poster, 'pipeline', must not have slept at all because they were going above and beyond to assist new Reaper users. Writing templates and add-ons to help solve problems.

Pipeline is one awesome dude! He was very involved in the opensource Reaper team and communicated was / friends with Justin Frankel the swizzlestick genius who created winamp and Reaper... Aarron ( Pipeline ) is just a cool cat who loves music and recording...incredibly helpful kind of guy....Bad BMX rider too ..He lives in Hawaii now working at a music recording school... Here's a link to his website pipelineaudio.net

That must have been before my time. But, it sounds like the kind of place I'd have been banned from within a few weeks.

Generally back in the day you had to be a genuine ass hat dumb ass to get yourself banned...but it did happen just very rarely ..It was a biker bar...enter at your own risk...later on they made Jenny's place for the fainter of heart...That was changed to Prime Time in the evolution of things

On about 3 occasions over the previous 10 years, I've gone through all the threads that happened while I've been at HR. It's really quite illuminating
On the subject of the cave, on the way to France in 2010, I wrote a song called "In the cave" about the cave. I hadn't looked at the lyric in about 8 years and I had to laugh. It was kind of corny !

Pipeline is one awesome dude! He was very involved in the opensource Reaper team and communicated was / friends with Justin Frankel the swizzlestick genius who created winamp and Reaper... Aarron ( Pipeline ) is just a cool cat who loves music and recording...incredibly helpful kind of guy....Bad BMX rider too ..He lives in Hawaii now working at a music recording school... Here's a link to his website pipelineaudio.net

Thanks for that link to pipelineaudio.net, man! Makes me want to fly to Hawaii and record some music :p

There are some righteous plugins over there :cool:

Last edited:
Generally back in the day you had to be a genuine ass hat dumb ass to get yourself banned...but it did happen just very rarely ..It was a biker bar...enter at your own risk...later on they made Jenny's place for the fainter of heart...That was changed to Prime Time in the evolution of things

I'd still have been banned. I have that unique ability that even when I'm correct, people believe I'm wrong. It's a gift.

We're a kinder and gentler nation. Imagine it's 1942 and the American mindset is where it is now. I say with a bit of confidence we'd all be speaking German.

On about 3 occasions over the previous 10 years, I've gone through all the threads that happened while I've been at HR. It's really quite illuminating
On the subject of the cave, on the way to France in 2010, I wrote a song called "In the cave" about the cave. I hadn't looked at the lyric in about 8 years and I had to laugh. It was kind of corny !

You should record it. I record corny all the time. Have you visited Paris a lot? It's my favorite city. I once sat with a bottle of wine in front of Notre Dame for hours. My heart broke when I saw it burning. Simply the most beautiful structure I've ever seen. I made a few videos that were muted on youtube years ago (I used Edith Piaf songs) of inside and out of the cathedral.

I've read back through a few old threads in certain topics. Microphones are of interest to me, especially the way the "flavor of the month" trends go. A new manufacturer comes on the scene and either becomes the darling of the recording elite, or becomes a purveyor of most useless junk on the market. A year later, a new darling arrives on the scene and the old darling is kicked to the curb. I don't think any aspect of the recording chain causes so much passion.

Harvey Gerst always had such a sensible perspective. I wonder what has happened to him. The last posts I saw anywhere was about 4 years ago. His Indian Trails Studio website is down. Facebook page hasn't seen action since 2015.

One issue is that a lot of the links for some of these old thread are broken. C'est la vie!

Yeah.. looking back in the MP3 Mixing Clinic, I was looking forward to hearing some way back mixes but most if not all are gone. Either broken links or just flat removed by the OP. And this isn't specific to older threads as I see some of it in current ones too.

Harvey Gerst always had such a sensible perspective. I wonder what has happened to him. The last posts I saw anywhere was about 4 years ago. His Indian Trails Studio website is down. Facebook page hasn't seen action since 2015.

O

Sadly one the more aggressive HR cyber bullies (who was finally permanently banned) in his typical jack ass ways ...didn't like that people were giving Harvey the respect he so very much deserved. He was rude and obnoxious enough to Harvey enough times to make Harvey say Fuck this I don't need the aggravation. In a flash one of the more knowledgeable members of HR.com was gone never to return..Harvey was getting up in age so he may have retired but I'd be surprised as he had such a passion it'd seem he would be doing his thing until the day he dropped.

ok boomer

---------- Update ----------

Just kidding. Yeah, it used to be different. I'm glad it's still here.

Reactions: TAE
ok boomer

---------- Update ----------

Just kidding. Yeah, it used to be different. I'm glad it's still here.

yeah it ain't the same but there are still a lot of good people hanging round here ... a place for whacky musicians types to BS about whatever and sometimes get really sideways with each other in the process...nevertheless..If you keep an open mind every now and then even as old and stubborn / set in our ways as we all are...we have a break through and actually get a fresh perspective.

I swear I saw a post from Harvey's page a few weeks ago, about his birthday. I think I even posted to it.

Now I'll have to go look.

Back