Back... back...

You can be a smartass without being mean about it. You can tell when namecalling is all in good fun, and when they're serious.

It just seemed to rapidly escalate in the more serious realm, and several people, imo, crossed the line too many times.

A lot of good people left when G*** got the boot. I miss most of them. I don't miss him.

And it's too bad that the knowledgable elders have left, especially in the mic forum. The newbies think that all there is to it is sticking a mic in front of it, and if it doesn't sound like the professionally done stuff they listen to, it's just because they need a more expensive mic, or a new plugin. But considering some of the stuff I hear commercially, and the fact that it's coming through earbuds or Alexa, I guess who's to say they're wrong? Most of it is soft synth anyway, who needs mics?

Boomer rant over.

You should record it
I did. If I remember rightly {it was a long time ago, either 2011 or 2012}, it was in doing that song that I learned how to re~amp. It's on my list of songs to mix but way down the list. I can't even remember how it goes ! I do remember that I sang it in a growly voice that is not my usual voice and I had a raw and sore throat afterwards.

I record corny all the time
Same here. I love the music of some of those 60s bands like the Beatles, the Stones, the Who, the Kinks, the Pretty Things, Blossom Toes, Family and Pink Floyd, among others, that weren't afraid to parade the music hall influences and sounds of their '40s and cornball pre ~ rock'n'roll '50s childhoods in some of their songs and they helped make 'corny' both intelligent, humorous and by extension, cool. Along with Tolkein stories and fairy tales by HC Andersen and the brothers Grimm {no relation ! :facepalm:} it was a staple of British psychedelia once mixed with acid.

Have you visited Paris a lot?
As far as I can remember, I've been 3 times. I've been to France more times than I have fingers and toes to count them on. To drive to Holland, Germany, Denmark, Spain, Switzerland and Belgium and other European countries from England, I've always gone through France. I kind of like France and I've spent time on holiday there. I've never been a great fan of Paris but I do remember picking up records by Ravi Shankar and Vasant Rai in a second hand shop the first time I went there in 1990. The Shankar ones were a hard listen and I eventually sold them to pay for something else but all these years later I still listen to the Vasant Rai one. It's called "Spring Wind." Not all of it is good but there are 3 or 4 absolute pearlers on it. Whenever I listen to it, I think of Paris. Most cities do, but Paris really has a seedy side to it and an underground train set up that feels unnecessarily complicated !

Edith Piaf songs
My Mum turned me onto Piaf. She was a master of mispronunciation and she would always call her "PF" ! She had this greatest hits double album and she played the absolute heck out of it for a few months in the summer of '76 and as is often the case when you're young, you drink in what your parents or siblings are listening to even though you pretend you hate it. But I really dug those tunes. I used to make up my own terrible French lyrics to them although those comprised mainly of noises, made up words and vowel sounds, but done in an impeccable accent so they kind of sounded French. :laughings:
When I was putting together my music collection, some of her stuff became part of my lexicon. Ironically, I've listened to her far more than my Mum ever did. :eek:

Sadly one the more aggressive HR cyber bullies (who was finally permanently banned) in his typical jack ass ways ...didn't like that people were giving Harvey the respect he so very much deserved. He was rude and obnoxious enough to Harvey enough times to make Harvey say Fuck this I don't need the aggravation. In a flash one of the more knowledgeable members of HR.com was gone never to return..
I remember that. I PM'd Harvey in the aftermath of that to let him know that he was appreciated and valued {and also that I loved a song he'd co~written for the Byrds called "It won't be wrong"} but he'd had enough of being trampled on. The daft thing about the attack on him is that it had nothing to do with Harvey. It's not like he was pontificating or bragging or name dropping or saying that his view was the only view in town. The attack on him wasn't even because of anything he'd said or his attitude. It was purely because people on the board appreciated him and that person just had to shoot down anyone that many people liked, then would hide behind that whole "LOL", "it's only words on a screen" "Why are you so angry" cop out.
The cave wasn't a place that I'd venture into on a regular basis but I did go in quite a bit. Some of it was good, some of it was boring and some of it was definitely populated by some that seemed to evince either full blown or emerging mental health "issues."

I'm glad it's still here
Hey, Casey ! How are you doing man !! My oldest son {who is now a man at 18 ~ about to start a new job} still asks after you and we both still listen to Little Purple Circles. I dig all 4 albums but I've still not heard an album this century to beat "Cloud."

I did. If I remember rightly {it was a long time ago, either 2011 or 2012}...

:laughings:...I was expecting you to say something like 1982...that would be a long time ago. ;)

...I do remember picking up records by Ravi Shankar and Vasant Rai in a second hand shop the first time I went there in 1990. The Shankar ones were a hard listen and I eventually sold them to pay for something else...

I took an easy road to Shankar. The first real listen to his music was in the form of the soundtrack for the movie "Charly" from 1968.
I actually came across the vinyl album of the soundtrack...maybe from some friends collection where it was played during one of those pot smoking moments, when people would sit, catch a buzz while listening to music on a big stereo system.

I was instantly drawn to the interesting music, which as a movie soundtrack, comes across differently than listening to more typical Hindustani classical music (which I do enjoy too).
It was kinda funny that because of that album...it made me want to see the movie when I came across it, otherwise, I might have skipped over the movie.
If you have never heard the soundtrack from "Charly"...you might like it...and also the movie.

I was expecting you to say something like 1982...that would be a long time ago. ;)
I think I actually remember much more about 1982 than 2011 or 2012 ! For me '82 was a fabulous year. Marijuana never tasted finer !
I took an easy road to Shankar
I did too, I think, or at least it initially felt that way. I had heard his name in connection with the Beatles a good 8 years before I actually heard his music. When I was going through my first jazz/fusion phase circa '82~'84, it was then that I checked out a live recording of him at the '67 Monterey festival. I remember buying it at Honest Jon's in Camden market one Sunday after my regular game of football, along with an album by Cootie Williams and the Rugcutters. My mate and I had seen Cootie in a documentary about Louis Armstrong, I think, and he was so smashed and his speech so slurred that from that day to this, we refer to being really tired or stoned as being in an advanced state of Cootieism or being rugcut. Anyway, I really liked the Shankar album and this was cemented some years later when I saw the documentary on the Monterey pop festival. His performance was breathtaking. The way his fingers flew around the sitar was a sight to behold. When I was going through my second jazz/fusion phase circa '90~'91 I stopped liking that album. It's inexplicable, I don't know why. It just never grabbed me the way it did in '84. It's one of the few albums that I've ever liked that I actually stopped liking. I bought a few of Ravi's albums but I actually found them all a hard listen ~ even his autobiography was hard and I eventually swapped it, which I very rarely do. The only one of his I still listen to in all its fullness is one he did with Andre Previn and the London Symphony Orchestra called "Concerto for Sitar & Orchestra" from 1971. I love Indian music but I love Indian music fusions more.
Interestingly, his daughter Anoushka was on TV a couple of weeks ago playing sitar with an orchestra and a drummer during a night of the proms. I dug the music she did more than anything I've ever liked from her dad ! And his nephew Ananda's first album has been a highlight for me since I first heard it in 1990. I still love it. He used to jam with Hendrix and Jimi had the idea to collaborate on an album with him but he decided that it would be more of a Hendrix project so he said no. He made the right decision.

I was instantly drawn to the interesting music, which as a movie soundtrack, comes across differently than listening to more typical Hindustani classical music (which I do enjoy too).
It was kinda funny that because of that album...it made me want to see the movie when I came across it, otherwise, I might have skipped over the movie.
If you have never heard the soundtrack from "Charly"...you might like it...and also the movie
I've not heard of "Charly" but I suspect it had something to do with a woman as that used to be the way it was spelled if applied to a female. One of the albums of Ravi's that I bought in Paris was also the soundtrack to a film called "Viola" though the album was called "Transmigration Macabre." It's one of the best titled albums I've ever come across {I wish I'd thought of it} ~ I just wish the music had matched the brilliance of the title.
It didn't.
I was never inspired or motivated to check out the film. In fact, I'd totally forgotten that it was a soundtrack album. I do remember it being quite short.

I've not heard of "Charly" but I suspect it had something to do with a woman as that used to be the way it was spelled if applied to a female.

No...not at all (well, there is a woman in the movie, but not the principal)...it's about a mentally handicapped guy, who is offered a new chemical treatment that ends up making him very smart...he is "Charly"....and then after becoming very smart, things go bad for him.

The movie comes from a sci-fi book, "Flowers for Algernon"...but it's not like a sci-fi horror movie, it's actually quite good and interesting, and the music provided by Shankar works so well to support the transformation of "Charly" from a very low IQ person, to a very smart person...and then from there...

...I'll not spoil the ending in case you want to see it, or just listen to the soundtrack, it stands on its own.

Cliff Robertson is in the lead role, with Claire Bloom as his doctor and love interest.
Cliff Robertson won the Academy Award for Best Actor in this movie.

Charly (1968) - IMDb

Last edited:
Never took a liking to Ravi's music. I've got the Woodstock and Monterey movies, of course, and heard a couple of albums when he was just becoming well known in the late sixties, East Meets West was one. The sitar is a bit like banjo or accordion for me, its OK is small doses, but as the main instrument, it turns me off. To listen to a 20 minute album side was just torture.

I was even watching my Monterey DVDs about a month ago, and after a couple of minutes, skipped through Ravi's set.

Different strokes, I guess.

No...not at all)...it's about a mentally handicapped guy, who is offered a new chemical treatment that ends up making him very smart...he is "Charly"....and then after becoming very smart, things go bad for him.
Actually, that sounds pretty interesting.

The sitar is a bit like banjo or accordion for me, its OK is small doses, but as the main instrument, it turns me off. To listen to a 20 minute album side was just torture.
Ooh, I just love the sitar. I've actually had a couple. It's funny, the notes to which they are tuned are theoretically easy but actually tuning them isn't. I once stabbed my finger with a sitar string and thought nothing of it but over a 5 month period the wound grew over itself to the point where the slightest touch would have me near writhing in agony. I had to have an operation to repair it and the injection in the webbing between the fingers is, to this day, the most painful thing I've ever had !
But I still love the sitar, even on it's own with just tablas.
Funny thing about Ravi Shankar, he's probably the most famous sitarist the world has known ~ but he's the one I like the least.

...but it's not like a sci-fi horror movie, it's actually quite good and interesting, and the music provided by Shankar works so well to support the transformation of "Charly" from a very low IQ person, to a very smart person...and then from there...

Actually, that sounds pretty interesting...

If you're going to watch "Charly", you may also be interested in Awakenings (1990) - IMDb. Similar in several ways.

You can be a smartass without being mean about it. You can tell when namecalling is all in good fun, and when they're serious.

It just seemed to rapidly escalate in the more serious realm, and several people, imo, crossed the line too many times.

A lot of good people left when G*** got the boot. I miss most of them. I don't miss him.

The shame is the damage done prior to his permanent ban..a lot of good folks just said screw this ...like Harvey.. He knew very well what he was doing and found some self satisfaction in annoying people to the point they'd leave to avoid his attacks........the closing of the Cave was a win for him...a loss for a lot of good HR.com friends.

The shame is the damage done prior to his permanent ban..a lot of good folks just said screw this ...like Harvey.. He knew very well what he was doing and found some self satisfaction in annoying people to the point they'd leave to avoid his attacks........the closing of the Cave was a win for him...a loss for a lot of good HR.com friends.

The acoustics engineer, I can't remember his name, but he left after a few attacks by certain people. The acoustics guy really knows his stuff and was always happy to assist.

Back