Anyone here loop your own music on Spotify etc.?

Armistice

Son of Yoda
Alas, I don't have "all you can eat" internet, and thus no streaming radio, or I'd probably put The Jongleurs album on a loop for a month or so to see what happened... :D

Alas when I set up the CDBaby account I went a little high (godamn optimism gets me every time...:() with the "Pay me when your balance reaches $X" setting and more than a year later, we're only 25% along - and at $0.03 or $0.04 a month from random streaming plays, I'll be dead before I get any payback.:mad:

Ah reality comes home to roost. :facepalm:

Alan

Not really, I was never actually expecting streaming revenue, just hoping all the people who said "I'll buy it on iTunes" actually did so. Clearly mistaken....

Anyway, I discovered I have a Spotify account and several GB of unused data on both my phone and home plans I have to use by next Friday when I leave the country, so I'm running a trial... ;)

I'm sure it'll add up to 3/5ths of fuck all but it requires no effort or expense, so I'll see what happens.:D

I think it only counts unique streams maybe? Looping your own music won't get you anywhere. With as much bitching about streaming that goes on, surely someone has thought of this already and tried it out.

I think it only counts unique streams maybe? Looping your own music won't get you anywhere. With as much bitching about streaming that goes on, surely someone has thought of this already and tried it out.

Yeah, I figure it's been tried and it wouldn't work or we'd all be doing it. But what the hell. I seem to get $0.006 per stream from random plays, and I've just run my album through 3 times, about 40 tracks on a particular date, so I'll stop now and see what, if anything, turns up on the report in a month or so... ;)

Yeah, I figure it's been tried and it wouldn't work or we'd all be doing it. But what the hell. I seem to get $0.006 per stream from random plays, and I've just run my album through 3 times, about 40 tracks on a particular date, so I'll stop now and see what, if anything, turns up on the report in a month or so... ;)

Maybe it will work, and the electricity, internet and mobile data you use will cost more than the final payout. :D

Ooh, 40 tracks X $0.006 = $0.024 = not quite 2-1/2 cents. Do it another 200 times and you'll have enough for a beer! But do you have to split it with the rest of the band? How much do straws cost down there? :p

Ooh, 40 tracks X $0.006 = $0.024 = not quite 2-1/2 cents. Do it another 200 times and you'll have enough for a beer! But do you have to split it with the rest of the band? How much do straws cost down there? :p

Yeah, I can do the maths... but you can't. 40 x $0.006 is $0.24. :laughings:

This is why I work for a finance company and you work for.... whatever it is you do.;)

I'm not trying to get rich, just seeing if I can bump the CDBaby total in the right direction and redeem some funds. Once.

Curiousity is a good thing. I have since learned that you get a "play" for 30 secs of a song, and there's a band out there who's released an album of 11 songs, all of which are silent and 31 seconds long, and they ask their fans to loop the album on Spotify when they go to bed each night... :eek:

And that there's an app called Eternify that will loop your album for you, apparently. Haven't gone that far. Where there's a system, people will try to game it. Question, still unanswered, is whether it works. I'll let you know.

And the rest of the band is one guy. It's not about money. It's about doggedly pursuing something just because it takes my fancy - until it doesn't.

That's how we all got here in the first place, innit?

Yeah, I can do the maths... but you can't. 40 x $0.006 is $0.24. :laughings:

This is why I work for a finance company and you work for.... whatever it is you do.;)

I'm not trying to get rich, just seeing if I can bump the CDBaby total in the right direction and redeem some funds. Once.

Curiousity is a good thing. I have since learned that you get a "play" for 30 secs of a song, and there's a band out there who's released an album of 11 songs, all of which are silent and 31 seconds long, and they ask their fans to loop the album on Spotify when they go to bed each night... :eek:

And that there's an app called Eternify that will loop your album for you, apparently. Haven't gone that far. Where there's a system, people will try to game it. Question, still unanswered, is whether it works. I'll let you know.

And the rest of the band is one guy. It's not about money. It's about doggedly pursuing something just because it takes my fancy - until it doesn't.

That's how we all got here in the first place, innit?

That's what I get for not using a calculator! So 20 album plays and you get a beer - that's a deal! Do they report earnings to the Aussie equivalent of the IRS?

Heh. You should get a small windmill to power your crack-pot ideas machine. :)

I wonder how much it'd cost to set up a small commercial radio station and play my shit on loop there. ;)
Now we're talking!

Heh. You should get a small windmill to power your crack-pot ideas machine. :)

I wonder how much it'd cost to set up a small commercial radio station and play my shit on loop there. ;)
Now we're talking!

Then you'd have to pay your BMI/SESAC/ASCAP equivalent your royalties so they'd pay you...okay, I just confused myself. :)

Back