anyone else having Windows 10 issues?

When I upgraded a few years ago, I had an issue with the graphics card. I had to purchase a newer one. After that, I not had any issues. My computers, all self built, are pretty old, at least 15 years, and other than the graphics card and upgrading the HDs so SSD, they all work fine with Win10.

I think it's because Explorer will open in Quick Access Folders or Desktop This PC, depending on where you are when it opens. Just guessing at that. I get completely different views between them.

Good call.

How To: Change How Windows 10 File Explorer Opens
With File Explorer open, tap or click the File option at the top of the window and choose Change folder and search options.
Once the Folder Options window opens, tap or click the dropdown box for Open File Explorer to and make your choice.
Hit OK to save it.

Check the processor, ram and motherboard and make sure that your PC meets the minimum requirements for win 10...I had an older i5 in my thinkcentre and it installed lickity split and totally rockin the win 10

First thing checked was the requirements. This particular laptop has an i7 dual core processor, 8GB RAM and partitioned 1 Terabyte HD so according to MS I shouldn't have an issue. The MS trouble shooting web pages for this particular code point to a driver or software incompatibility. I uninstalled unsigned drivers, removed anti virus sw, etc. No luck.

The actual trouble code in case someone has seen it is 0x1900101-0x40017 :The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation.

Some of my BIOS settings may be causing the issue I suppose. If it won't do a clean install to one of my backup hard drives i'll try resetting the BIOS to OE .

I am going to jump into the windows 10 pond soon as I will need to upgrade the studio computer. I wish windows would release an industrial version of 10 with no installed anything. My office laptop took about 3 months of removing installs until I liked the way it works. I just want a computer for work, I don't need games, netflix, etc, and I don't need to have any virus protection or office products that expire in 3 months then continuously ask you to pay.

Anyone remember windows NT? thats the kind of thing we need for studio work. Actually windows 2000 was a great platform for audio, until driver support stopped LOL.

Alan

Alan

I am going to jump into the windows 10 pond soon as I will need to upgrade the studio computer. I wish windows would release an industrial version of 10 with no installed anything. My office laptop took about 3 months of removing installs until I liked the way it works. I just want a computer for work, I don't need games, netflix, etc, and I don't need to have any virus protection or office products that expire in 3 months then continuously ask you to pay.

Anyone remember windows NT? thats the kind of thing we need for studio work. Actually windows 2000 was a great platform for audio, until driver support stopped LOL.

Alan

Alan

Windows Server 2018 I think. But it isn't cheap.

I was stubborn for a while about moving to W10 from 7. It was however pretty much seamless. My initial fears of change were unsubstantiated. Though many have had problems through the development of W10. Just like a new version of recording software, usually best to wait til they fix the bugs. Think W10 has been out long enough now for software to catch up.

I really only pulled the trigger due to the latest Melodyne upgrade only working with W10...

Alan

Alan

Check out any of the "de bloater" scripts for windows 10. I'll have to find the one I'm thinking of. Its a PowerShell script that gets rid of a bunch of Windows features and replaces some of them with lightweight alternatives.

Honestly though, I don't do much to w10 to have it run as an audio machine. The integrated security/antivirus is great, most of the default settings work for me. I fiddle with the power/sleep settings, disable most notifications, turn off system sounds, disable cortana, and I'm ready to go.

... Honestly though, I don't do much to w10 to have it run as an audio machine. The integrated security/antivirus is great, most of the default settings work for me. I fiddle with the power/sleep settings, disable most notifications, turn off system sounds, disable cortana, and I'm ready to go.
That's pretty much what I do too. I'm no power user so there's always an abundance of resources for music.

Loss of Sleep

This most recent update has disabled the automated sleep/hibernate processes for the PC itself. The monitor has not been affected. Now, instead of just walking away and letting the PC time out into sleep or hibernation as per power/sleep settings, I have to manually press the sleep key or select sleep/hibernate from the Start menu. How convenient. It's very easy to use the Sleep key but many times I do jump and run for one thing or another and who knows when I may return to the PC, so, automation is preferred.

Curiously, this problem has plagued users for some years now.. at least the past five years and possibly longer. Why it only pops up on some systems and not others with each successive round of updates is a puzzle.

I don't expect this is really a Windows issue, but that's what I'm using and it's been driving me crazy all day.

Whatever that server thing was that someone screwed the pooch on yesterday that took down most of the internet earlier. I'm still having a helluva time with Google and MS Edge browsers - getting them to open in the first place, then if they do open, they take forever to respond.. or just time out.. or the screen freezes.

So I can't tell if it's still related to that or if it's my ISP.. or both :spank::wtf::drunk:

I have no problems now but I lost Google on two machines last month. I had to update Chrome to get it to come back on one machine, the other I had to undo then redo the last M soft update.

I had that 'lost Google' on one machine about two years ago. Deleting and re-installing brought it back.

It is too complicated now. My new one, I removed all the graphics drivers to get it to run. Win10 asks for a Intel driver but it is Nvidia. It will not take the drivers from the ASUS download. If I get the driver from Win10 updater it gets to 10% and stops. I let it try to update for longer than 48 hrs.

This new laptop isnt going to last. It will be overheating and smelling like burning plastic in no time.

edit
Got it. There was application that was hanging and needed to be ended.

Last edited:
Anybody know what this means? Can the laptop not record a stereo input without this enabled?
No, that's not what it means. Its a routing program for recording various sources in Windows with Realtek devices.

Ok. Now with this new Windows 11 coming this year it may be my 2018 PC may not be able to run Win 11 because my PC has a TPM 1.0, not a TPM 2.0 (or greater).

Looks like I'm being forced to purchase a "new" Win 11 PC if I wish to stay with Windows. Who knows how long Win 10 will be supported.

Anyone else think they may have a problem with the Win 11 TPM thing..?

Added For Reference :

https://www.onmsft.com/editorial/mi...leave-lots-of-not-so-old-pcs-on-the-sidelines

https://www.windowscentral.com/tpm-windows-11-what-it-means

Last edited:
Ok. Now with this new Windows 11 coming this year it may be my 2018 PC may not be able to run Win 11 because my PC has a TPM 1.0, not a TPM 2.0 (or greater).

Looks like I'm being forced to purchase a "new" Win 11 PC if I wish to stay with Windows. Who knows how long Win 10 will be supported.

Anyone else think they may have a problem with the Win 11 TPM thing..?
I just checked and I have the TPM chip 2.0, so I'm thinking I should be ok if I decide to upgrade. I'm tempted to switch to Apple however.

I just checked and I have the TPM chip 2.0, so I'm thinking I should be ok if I decide to upgrade. I'm tempted to switch to Apple however.
I've been unhappy (to say the least) with Windows since having to give up my XP for 10.. and possibly 11. I've been threatening to go Mac but am wondering about Linux Mint. On the surface, Linux appears to be quite sufficient for my meager needs. I'm not a heavy user, not even medium as I'm only using my PC for recordkeeping, internet and Reaper. Still, Apple isn't off the table.

I've been unhappy (to say the least) with Windows since having to give up my XP for 10.. and possibly 11. I've been threatening to go Mac but am wondering about Linux Mint. On the surface, Linux appears to be quite sufficient for my meager needs. I'm not a heavy user, not even medium as I'm only using my PC for recordkeeping, internet and Reaper. Still, Apple isn't off the table.
I hear ya completely Spantini. I am tired of the Windows upgrade issues, and had similar feelings leaving XP. Even that was a shit show until around Pack 2 or 3. I have never owned an Apple product but I know many major studios use them, but these days I bet Windows is more prevalent than in the past. Maybe I am wrong about that. All I know is Apple was the king back years ago. Windows is easy to find software for, but then these damn upgrades upset the ahem.......apple cart.

I will see what happens with the Windows 11 thing, but if it is all effed up, which I expect initially anyway, then I may just buy an Apple computer and have both and go from there.

A lot of users have complained about the updates, so maybe MS will finally address those issues. My Win 10 Home is way slower than my old XP, which was lightning fast, BTW. Good luck to you whichever way you go with this.

Back