anyone else having Windows 10 issues?

Here's my latest Win 10 issue - almost every time Windows does an update, the CHrome browser stops working - and I mean it won't boot up at all, or if it does it won't connect to the internet. After trying many different things, I found the easy solution is to Uninstall Chrome, then install it again. Had the same issue with Firefox, just never bothered doing the uninstall.install again on it.
Is this a Microsoft-Google war?

My Chrome browser was fine after the recent update, except it seemed not to be loading style sheets or something. I just had to refresh pages to get it to reconnect style sheets and display correctly.

After the previous update my Bluetooth speaker would take a minute to connect rather than a few seconds, but that seems to have been fixed with the latest update.

It's been a rough couple of months for Microsoft. The hits keep on coming with their updates. The version 1803 update was just a fustercluck all around. They finally released it after recalling/postponing it a couple of times, and there are still people having issues with it. Fortunately it's not bothering any of my Win10 machines, but there are some nasty bugs that have been floating around for "insiders" and anybody that clicked the "check for updates" button recently.

I am so glad I stay with Windows 7 and no updates. It hard enough to deal with software bugs. An OS that keeps screwing my stuff up would drive me completely insane....

Ever since forever when downloading to my PC, I've left everything in the Downloads Folder. The past few years has produced mass quantities of stuff in there which is music related: Reaper, plugins, mp3s, WAVs, documentation, authorizations & keys, user manuals.. etc.

I'm using Win 10 and have become more concerned about file losses with each upcoming update version. I've read many articles on how files and folders just... disappear! Never to be seen again. Then came a recent article with these latest updates about how we shouldn't store items in the Download folder. Supposedly, Windows updates check that folder and, because it's considered temporary storage, may be partially or completely cleared - or not. So far, I've not experienced this.

So.. I dove into mine and began clearing out all my music related stuff - moving it all over to my Music Folder. The rest I'll get to over the next week.

Win 10 just seems to get weirder with each update.

Ever since forever when downloading to my PC, I've left everything in the Downloads Folder. The past few years has produced mass quantities of stuff in there which is music related: Reaper, plugins, mp3s, WAVs, documentation, authorizations & keys, user manuals.. etc.

I'm using Win 10 and have become more concerned about file losses with each upcoming update version. I've read many articles on how files and folders just... disappear! Never to be seen again. Then came a recent article with these latest updates about how we shouldn't store items in the Download folder. Supposedly, Windows updates check that folder and, because it's considered temporary storage, may be partially or completely cleared - or not. So far, I've not experienced this.

So.. I dove into mine and began clearing out all my music related stuff - moving it all over to my Music Folder. The rest I'll get to over the next week.

Win 10 just seems to get weirder with each update.

Man I trust no puter to files that are important to me...been there been bit in the ass more than once...ugh! Googles Backup n Sync is free up to 15 gigs and only $20 for 100 gigs...2 terabytes for $100 a year... (I have all important files on my PC backed up there)...Likewise I have an external hard drive ( nowadays under $100 for 3 terabytes) where all important files reside...only the OS and and programs are stored on C... Love google drive saved my ass several times....

Ever since forever when downloading to my PC, I've left everything in the Downloads Folder.

I'm pleased to see you've changed your ways!

Like others, I have as little as possible on the C drive and as much as possible on external drives.

On a more general note, my transition to W10 has not been as painful as I thought it might be. Most of my plugins still work, and I was able to het my ancient interface up and running very securely.

However, whenever there is an update, I lose all my network connections, and have to reconnect them. That's about the only annoying thing about W10.

Man I trust no puter to files that are important to me...been there been bit in the ass more than once...ugh! Googles Backup n Sync is free up to 15 gigs and only $20 for 100 gigs...2 terabytes for $100 a year... (I have all important files on my PC backed up there)...Likewise I have an external hard drive ( nowadays under $100 for 3 terabytes) where all important files reside...only the OS and and programs are stored on C... Love google drive saved my ass several times....

I'm still not completely trusting of cloud storage. Got a 1T SSD on my shopping list for now.

I'm pleased to see you've changed your ways!
However, whenever there is an update, I lose all my network connections, and have to reconnect them.

I used to lose drivers and wi-fi connectivity. I'm on ethernet now, but still lose a driver now and then.

I'm still not completely trusting of cloud storage. Got a 1T SSD on my shopping list for now.
Truly Google is a beast When it comes to data storage...no company on earth can do a better job of storing your data safely. Fun fact ....Google is the third largest manufacturer of servers in the world and they sell those servers to no one but themselves....Redundancy with a capital R... Just an FYI I do have and pay for a g-suite account so I can actually talk to a human at google...I also have a dozen or more free gmail accounts.....a few years ago one of my my main gmail accounts got hacked ...Holy frickin hell ......From there the bastards got into most all of my e-mail accounts including my g-suite account....They changed the passwords and I was locked out..for about two weeks....in proving that you are you to the AI (no humans allowed) you must deal only with "the system" ....no one in google land can help you....in google one tiny piece of information that I doubt 90% of gmail users know is this strange but sooooooo important bit of information...what month ( you have to be close within 3 months) and what year (must be exact) did you set up your e-mail account? If you've been hacked and can't getinto your account they have multiple verification methods getting better and better these days but the hacker not only changed my passwords but because I had not set up 2 step verification at the time he changed the verification phone number....HELL Had I not been able to figure out the date I opened that most important gmail account ( took a week to find it in a gmail account they had not hacked) I'd of been screwed...crazy shit. FWIW the paid for g-suite account was easy to get back because I was able to speak with a real live person and prove who I was based on the credit card on file......but it was dismal speaking with them because they all said I was basically screwed without the account creation date on the other e-mails.....Not even if your an employee of google can you over ride the AI security machine...

I just ran the Windows Feature Update 2004 and what a mess..

I've spent the past hour unscrambling all the color changes. The Taskbar color took the longest. I like mine a very dark gray, and the update switched it to white.. and nearly everything else to BLACK !!! Black browsers.. Black windows.. Black apps... Everything was the opposite of what I want!

Well, at least it didn't wipe out my audio driver this time around - nice surprise. It did need rebooting, but the update took care of that where in previous updates I always had to reinstall it manually.

Reaper behaved a bit quirky when I tried to open a project. I opened Reaper, tried to open a project and it told me it was already open - nothing was open. Canceled the window and selected open project again and everything worked fine.. this time.

I'll spend the next few weeks tripping across all my other settings which have been reset to default..

yeah RAM here...I guess it wasnt Windows 10 and software after all.
Mine was PNY..

Cool you got it figured out....

I use both Mac and PC regularly PC for work windows 10 / Mac for Music with Reaper...but toying with trying this logic thing...maybe

Gotta a buddy who is black belt logic dude ...he loves it...but he knows his way around like the back of his hand...it's that damn learning curve at 67 that makes me cringe...

Strange. I've got 2004 on all four of my Win 10 machines and I haven't had to do any adjustments. I'm wondering about the 20H2 update. Its supposed to do away with the old control panel view, and the new chromium Edge is supposed to be used. I'm not a big Edge user, so that's not a major deal for me.

Also, if you haven't heard, Adobe is pulling the plug on Flash Player Dec 31. That's the official EOL. I don't think you'll even be able to download it anymore. I'm sure it will break a few websites.

I'm not an Edge user either. I have had Flash disabled for some time now, so.. used to that.

The color changes on mine are a puzzle. I've got them straight now. Perhaps it had something to do with my custom settings at the time.

I can't imagine a new control panel view would be too bad. Unless they're doing away with it altogether..? Still, there are several ways to access those features.

I've now been using W10 for maybe a year or so, since finally leaping into the 21 century from XP. Generally speaking, I am not unhappy with it.

But there is one annoying thing. There are four PCs in the house, all networked. Two are W10, and two are W7. From time to time there are W10 upgrades, or the W10 machines are powered down and back up. Each time this happens, the W10 machines lose their network connection with each other, and I have to go through a network reset and a lot of fiddling around to get them to talk to each other again (though they are always quite happy talking to the internet). The W7 machines don't care. Turn them off, turn them on . . . they always find each other ok.

When I press win10+E the normal file explorer window opens. Been doing this for years.

But inside some or maybe all apps, those file explorers seem to see a different file system.

File open from Audacity
Browse from Audacity.PNG

Win+E
Browse from Win+E.PNG

Why the difference?

Yesterday I received a 'big' Win10 update - 2 hours later the little twirling 'working' thing was frozen, I cold booted it, it took another 20 minutes to update. But didn't get the same update request on my studio computer or my Win tablet.

I think it's because Explorer will open in Quick Access Folders or Desktop This PC, depending on where you are when it opens. Just guessing at that. I get completely different views between them.

It's funny that this thread got revived because i have been working on upgrading one of my laptops to Win 10 and have been completely unsuccessful:laughings:

My main setup is a desktop running Pro Tools on Win 7 Pro which works perfectly. However, Waves Central V11 doesn't play nice with that version(though it works fine with the Home version on two laptops) and the last version of PT that i can install is 2019.6. The latest version of PT is 2020.11 and it will be the last version available to me since i am letting my update/support lapse in December.

So, on the laptop the win10 download that everyone says is still free will do the installation all the way up to the second or third restart(doing an upgrade in place) before it stops, reverts and gives a "not complete because of" type code. After doing every correction and repair that my research suggested to do i am giving up on doing an in place upgrade. I have a clone of all my hard drives for back up so i will just do a clean installation. I am not looking forward to transferring everything! Or installing all my programs, samples, etc.

The actual reason i am doing this is my procedure has always been to upgrade first on the mobile laptops and work out weather i need to do the desktop, or just stay put where everything still works. I use win10 at work and frankly i hate it. So reading that some folks are still having difficulties is thought provoking to say the least.

It's funny that this thread got revived because i have been working on upgrading one of my laptops to Win 10 and have been completely unsuccessful:laughings:

My main setup is a desktop running Pro Tools on Win 7 Pro which works perfectly. However, Waves Central V11 doesn't play nice with that version(though it works fine with the Home version on two laptops) and the last version of PT that i can install is 2019.6. The latest version of PT is 2020.11 and it will be the last version available to me since i am letting my update/support lapse in December.

So, on the laptop the win10 download that everyone says is still free will do the installation all the way up to the second or third restart(doing an upgrade in place) before it stops, reverts and gives a "not complete because of" type code. After doing every correction and repair that my research suggested to do i am giving up on doing an in place upgrade. I have a clone of all my hard drives for back up so i will just do a clean installation. I am not looking forward to transferring everything! Or installing all my programs, samples, etc.

The actual reason i am doing this is my procedure has always been to upgrade first on the mobile laptops and work out weather i need to do the desktop, or just stay put where everything still works. I use win10 at work and frankly i hate it. So reading that some folks are still having difficulties is thought provoking to say the least.

Check the processor, ram and motherboard and make sure that your PC meets the minimum requirements for win 10...I had an older i5 in my thinkcentre and it installed lickity split and totally rockin the win 10

Back