anyone else having Windows 10 issues?

Until a couple months ago I would consider that statement Mac-snobbery, but Micro$oft is pushing me out the door with its policies and extraordinarily poor patching practices. It's as if they're intentionally trying to ruin their business. And are succeeding.

That's not snobbery IMO. If something works better, then as consumers we should say it works better. The companies that put out more reliable software deserve to be commended.

You can say Macs are more expensive - I'm not even sure that's true. My macbook pro is 5 years old and is running strong. I use it for everything. I'd almost certainly be on my second PC by now unless it was secluded from the interwebs.

I was accused of similar snobbery a few years ago in this forum. Then almost immediately after the PC users started a 15 page thread about drivers and all sorts of problems they were having. I lol'd

A year ago I was using a decade old XP machine. Lack of support, more demanding software and higher resolution video forced me to buy a new tower. It still works and runs Reaper.

One thing I miss about having an electronic four-track- no updates. It only had level and pan but when your entire rig goes down for a cosmetic change, you get wistful for those days. :P

It's all you can do, really. People like what they have, broke or not.

You can say Macs are more expensive - I'm not even sure that's true. My macbook pro is 5 years old and is running strong. I use it for everything.

...and should still be worth a fair bit, if the condition is good.
My 2011 model gave me 5 years service and cost me £200, when you factor in resale.
Couple that with the fact that I don't need to buy another one for internet use, that's not bad going! :p

Sorry you folks are having such trouble, sincerely.

The Mac v PC topic has been done to death on this forum, let's just say we can all agree that we like what we use.

The companies that put out more reliable software deserve to be commended.

The sentiment is certainly valid (almost obvious), but the statement isn't factual when applied to this situation. It's certainly the urban myth that Macs are 'better', and you can pretty much assume those saying such things are Mac users and saying it about *everything* Mac related. It's called bias.

One thing I miss about having an electronic four-track- no updates. It only had level and pan but when your entire rig goes down for a cosmetic change, you get wistful for those days. :P

I feel your pain. The flexibility software provides is incredible and worth the hassle IMO. But in times of trouble, I'm also nostalgic.

It's certainly the urban myth that Macs are 'better', and you can pretty much assume those saying such things are Mac users and saying it about *everything* Mac related. It's called bias.

I don't know about IBB, but there's plenty of apple stuff I wouldn't buy with your money.

let's just say we can all agree that we like what we use.

I don't think the mac users are opposing that point. The windows guys certainly are, though.

A year ago I was using a decade old XP machine. Lack of support, more demanding software and higher resolution video forced me to buy a new tower. It still works and runs Reaper.

I did the same for a long time - maybe 7 years. XP was great.

But I kept that computer off the internet entirely. And it took me a full year of tinkering before I could get pro tools to run properly. It was infuriating.

The sentiment is certainly valid (almost obvious), but the statement isn't factual when applied to this situation. It's certainly the urban myth that Macs are 'better', and you can pretty much assume those saying such things are Mac users and saying it about *everything* Mac related. It's called bias.

I don't know about everything Mac related.

I ran pro tools on an XP machine for about 7 years.

I have been running Logic on a Mac for about 4.5 years now.

I had many odd problems with Pro tools and there were all sorts of obscure settings that I had to figure out before it worked properly. It never played nice with my midi keyboard. I spent hours trying to enter in some fucking code for the keyboard I had, and getting the drivers or whatever other bullshit was necessary. Never worked. The version of pro tools I was running was obsolete in no time. Expanding plug-ins was a bitch. I kept it off the internet forever for fear of virusus AND automatic updates and cookies or whatever other bullshit PCs do that fuck up music software for reasons beyond my comprehension. That is a major pain in the ass - to download everything to a thumb drive and transfer it to another computer before I can put it on HR or email it to a friend. To hell with that, but if I hadn't, the chances of that XP machine lasting 7 years were slim to none. Not my with pron habits anyway (haha). yes, I could have selected different SW. But I had a digi 002 so PT was my plan.

With Logic I plugged in the interface. Then it worked. Set up was like 5 minutes. Been fine ever since. I've updated my OS countless times. I plugged in a midi keyboard. Recognized immediately, never had a hiccup. I run it on the internet all the time. I did have a problem with Logic remote - running the computer remotely from my cell phone. I didn't even know this feature existed until a year after I bought my computer and interface, so it was kind of a cherry on top in my mind. This is helpful because I control the computer from my drum set. At one point there was an update that caused it to fail. Then about a Month or two later there was an update that made it start working again.

That's my experience. I am certainly impacted by a shitty experience with a PC, and a fantastic experience with a Mac. That's not bias - that's personal experience. Bias would be if my brother worked for Apple. This being the dozenth "My PC is fucking up my ability to make music because of a new operating system" thread on HR doesn't help either.

Last edited:
That's pretty much a mirror of my experience, except I continued to use PT, not logic.
Other than that, same deal.

I keep a box with win 7 on it, too, but it's given me no reason to consider doubling back.

Well, PT was Mac-only for a long time. It wouldn't surprise me that it was more cumbersome on a PC.

I'm not going to say that PCs are better than Macs or the other way around. It varies. The sample size here is too small to really determine that either way. I've seen problems occur on both.

Just recently I watched some Mac users try to make an interface work with Logic in order to record a show. Core Audio recognized the hardware but only saw the outputs. The inputs were unusable. Two of them spent an hour before an event trying to make it work, getting themselves all flustered and stressed when they should have been focusing on the show. That whole time there was a Windows laptop just sitting there, which I bet they could have set up with Reaper and loaded the drivers onto in about fifteen minutes. The core (heh) problem was being too attached to the familiar OS.

My sample size is a bit bigger than many here. All operating systems have issues, limitations, and quirks. If you've had good luck with your operating system of choice then keep using it. I've had no issues with Windows, although I can't say the same for several of my clients in the past few weeks. But for me it's been rock solid, for about 25 years. If I were to base solely on my anecdotal personal experience, Windows is perfect. We know that's untrue. It's all about sample size. IMHO professional opinion, use what you want and can afford. If you want nuts and bolts breakdowns of pros/cons without the bias, there's plenty of information out there (comparisons, reviews, etc). Having no horse in the race, I'll exit now and let the fanboys battle it out.

[for the record, my experience with Apple products has been largely positive, with the few exceptions mostly being iTunes and some minor gripes about their overall ecosystem. Purely as an operating system I'd probably run it on my non-Apple hardware if I cared/needed to try. I will be moving to linux someday now, the past 3-4 years has determined that for me]

I've had no issues with Windows, although I can't say the same for several of my clients in the past few weeks. But for me it's been rock solid, for about 25 years.

I pause my updates every 34 days (calendar reminder set), especially recently with some serious vulnerabilities and buggy patches being deployed that create more problems then they solve.

The reason I'm pausing is the recent rash of bad Windows 7, 8, and 10 updates being pushed by Micro$oft. I do IT work for a living and we're seeing direct customer impacts due to these mandated 'zero-day' patches being pushed and breaking functionality (worse case unbootable, or no network connection). There's fixes for these things but only after the customer is s.o.l. and only when we manually install a driver or perform a system restore. A lot of broken computers thanks to Micro$oft's incompetence right now.

I don't have to program calendars to remind me to pause updates to avoid serious vulnerabilities and buggy patches but, as has been said, it's all about personal preference.
Some people like doing that sort of thing.

Some people like doing that sort of thing.

To be fair to Micro$oft, I'm not doing this because I'm personally having any issues or had any in even the past few years. Entirely personal preference/choice.

Should also remind everyone that when you're 80+% of the computing world you draw a lot of attention and become a huge target. Smaller operating system releases have fewer enemies, mostly because the payoff is less due to a smaller user pool to infect/take advantage of. I don't envy Micro$oft's position, I just wish they put their abundant resources into pretesting these releases and reduce the number of those negatively affected.

Why are you being combative? Is it really productive? Haven't you argued with me enough on this subject in the past? Are you really that pathetic you want to fight the same fight every now and then, for sake of having absolutely NOTHING better to do?

Should also remind everyone that when you're 80+% of the computing world you draw a lot of attention and become a huge target. Smaller operating system releases have fewer enemies, mostly because the payoff is less due to a smaller user pool to infect/take advantage of..

I've been saying this for years. People who write viruses want attention, and you don't get as much attention limiting your virus to 20% of the market.

my windows 10 system is now crashing about 6 times a week.
tonight within 1 hr Ive had 2-windows shutdown-> collecting error info reboots.

when I leave the pc on wifi and get home the screen is always frozen and I reboot.
if I dont leave the system on the internet, turn off wifi....no freezing issues.

so Im now partitioning my problem
1) is it chrome?
closed down chrome and moved to Firefox.
2) is it my hardware overheating or failing?
time will tell (better get my back ups done)
3) it is windows 10 crashing my system
if the crashees continue I will go a week without this pc attached to the internet.
this will refuse all windows updates....

add
4) seems the 4-5 crashes are now all during Yahoo Mail....interesting

or maybe its Windows 10 updates, or maybe I need my Browsers updated or I need my emails updated or my adblock updated or my virus software updated or my firewall updated....or my asshole updated....

Im gettin tired of flooding of updates...

my stratocaster sits here, never needing updated, my Shure KSM mic doesnt need gdconstant updates....my rack gear doesnt need updates every day and crash 16 times a week due to updates not updating well with the other updates needed.

I might do what I should have done a 100yrs ago and never put the internet on my recording pc.
My cheap Chromebook $150 laptop has never crashed like this...and if it gets slow I wipe it clean.

5) turn off wifi and internet connections and shut down all updates on this pc!!
this option has the highest probabilty of fixing the crashing system problem...

:cursing:

Last edited:
Back