anyone else having Windows 10 issues?

I get fed up too with telling Windows 8 to use Firefox as default only for it to revert to the Windows browser every few startups. As I also leave my systems on 24/7, it's things like autoupdate applications that do the restart on their own, in the middle of the night - or worse, as AVG did today, in the middle of a video edit, because I didn't spot the restarting in ......... box on the third monitor! Windows 10 is pretty stable - the only annoying feature is dropping the Tascam audio driver when the system has been idle for an hour or two.

I have not had trouble except for the fall creator update. As stated by others, it wanted to have its way with default settings. Once I went a set like I wanted it, no problem.

I've been pretty pleased with Win10.

For the past.. almost a year now since upgrading to Win10, I'd get these random pop-up Command Prompt windows - the black ones you can execute commands and edit with. I'd be right in the middle of something and everything would freeze as they would appear for half a second, disappear, reappear, etc. - sometimes three or four in a burst.

Haven't had this problem for about a month now, so fingers crossed. I've been fortunate none of these have interrupted any recordings.

Last edited:
Just got the big semiannual update and it blew out all my drivers (again, as usual), except one - my Tascam US2x2 interface driver won that battle :laughings::spank:

Just got the big semiannual update and it blew out all my drivers (again, as usual), except one - my Tascam US2x2 interface driver won that battle :laughings::spank:

Blew out your drivers? What happened? Both of my machines are on build 1709 (Fall Creators Update) and they're doing well with all of my various devices.

For the past.. almost a year now since upgrading to Win10, I'd get these random pop-up Command Prompt windows - the black ones you can execute commands and edit with. I'd be right in the middle of something and everything would freeze as they would appear for half a second, disappear, reappear, etc. - sometimes three or four in a burst.

Haven't had this problem for about a month now, so fingers crossed. I've been fortunate none of these have interrupted any recordings.

Take a look at Task Scheduler and see if there is some scheduled job in there that might be the culprit behind those popups. That'd definitely be annoying! I'd be that some software or hardware that you've got installed took the liberty of scheduling a command-line task to run periodically. My work laptop does that sort of stuff (only at startup, thankfully) but it's definitely a bother.

I started pausing updates (and setting a calendar remind for 30 days later to unpause/repause) on my Win10 workstation. I don't do much with it other than music and email. It has 1709 and runs well, very occasional hiccups in my aging Sonar X3 install, but mostly fine. No crashing, just dropouts or audible glitches that resolve themselves within a few seconds.

The reason I'm pausing is the recent rash of bad Windows 7, 8, and 10 updates being pushed by Micro$oft. I do IT work for a living and we're seeing direct customer impacts due to these mandated 'zero-day' patches being pushed and breaking functionality (worse case unbootable, or no network connection). There's fixes for these things but only after the customer is s.o.l. and only when we manually install a driver or perform a system restore. A lot of broken computers thanks to Micro$oft's incompetence right now.

On my home PC, it's better for me if I don't come home to the same problems I have to address at work. I'll catchup on updates when the coast is clear.

How can I pause the Updates?

Thats sounds great....my recent issues is the freezing over and over, the mouse arrow wont move....hit the pc OF and ON button about 3 times a week. Just started the past month or two it seems.

If I keep the internet unplugged/no wifi there is no issue seen. So Im assuming its the WIndows Updates.

I thought Windows 10 was mandatory updates.

Blew out your drivers? What happened? Both of my machines are on build 1709 (Fall Creators Update) and they're doing well with all of my various devices.

I had this problem with the Fall Creators Update also. Drivers for my printers and wi-fi adapters were disabled. A trouble shooter found the printer drivers still in the system and reinstalled them. I had to uninstall/install the wi-fi adapters using the original CDs to get them back.

I just did a big update. The only problem I have is that it takes longer to switch the output to my Bluetooth speaker when I turn it on. But it did add a little interactive volume display so when I turn the speaker up or down it shows on my screen.

I have a Mac. I run Logic.

I plug in my interface.

And then it works.

/end post

Until a couple months ago I would consider that statement Mac-snobbery, but Micro$oft is pushing me out the door with its policies and extraordinarily poor patching practices. It's as if they're intentionally trying to ruin their business. And are succeeding.

---------- Update ----------

How can I pause the Updates?

You need a certain version Windows 10 to have the pause button, perhaps you're not patched that high.

Otherwise - google has the answer.

Just had a massive Windows 10 update. It restarted about 10 times and finally, once it fully rebooted, my DAW made me re-activate the license with the product key. Was imaging all my project files would be gone, but thankfully they're there.

The updates come in batches that require as many restarts. Reaper - - first thing I checked afterward (I'm always afraid I'll lose all my VSTs). Everything crossed over just fine and I was even prompted for the most recent Reaper Version update, which went well, as usual.

Back