Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody remember "the cave"?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by notCardio View Post
    "when I get round to mixing it" for a 10 year old song

That sums us all up in a single phrase!
    I know !
    My "problem" if you want to call it that splits into various channels that join the great ocean of intention and procrastination.
    Firstly, my songs in the old days fell broadly into two categories, those that were complete and those that were complete frameworks. The ones that were complete frameworks would be made up of either bass/drums, bass/percussion, guitar/drums or guitar/percussion. These would build relatively slowly. They might take years for a melody or lyric to emerge. For example, I've just been putting electric 6 and 12 string guitars tonight on one such song called "Jiggery Pokery." I remember having the idea as far back as 1997 or '98 {I remember where I was when the chorus refrain of "Are we pigs or Englishmen ? / Hold your breath and count to 10 !" came to me}. My drummer friend and I actually recorded the song in early '99. A friend had bought me an acoustic 12 string {long story} and I had a pickup fitted and it was one of the earliest recordings I did with it. It may actually be the first one where I actually simultaneously recorded DI and miked on the 12 string because while my 6 string electro~acoustic sounded horrendous when plugged in, the 12 string had an intriguing sound. I liked it. Still do. But I also like it miked so I had the two together. My mate played congas then then we did a percussion track {I remember using the mandolin as a percussion instrument, scratching the strings beyond the bridge}. And there it remained for 10 years. I came up with loads of lyrics for it and assured myself that I'd knock them into shape one day. Then in 2009, a different friend that plays the drums put a drum track on for me. It wasn't until about 6 weeks ago that I finally settled on a melody {some of which had been in my files for years} and seriously condensed the lyrics I had because there were like 10 or 11 verses and a huge middle part and there's only room for 4 verses and the middle part truncated into something that makes some kind of sense. Over the last week, I've laid down acoustic bass guitar, mandolin, worked out some backing vocals and an idea for a violin part and today I did those two guitar parts using an isocab I built years ago. It's in the kitchen and I was tracking from the front room while my wife watched 4 episodes of "The Crown."
    The song will be instrumentally finished by Saturday, hopefully, by some time in the next two weeks I'll put on a vocal and then I have to work around the govt covid lockdown and three of my friends to help with harmony and backing vocals and then it will be complete ~ over 20 years after it began life as an idea !
    I have quite a few songs in that stage. It would've been lots more but in 2018 I forced myself to get mixing and within a few months, I'd done 75. As I once saw on a Reaper site, finished is better than perfect. Right now, I have at least another 70 {possibly more} that I could mix right now and I know I will. Just not right now !
    But......

Thanks
    I love drums. Not every one of my pieces have them but most do. And I like actual drums. I like the kit I have. It's by no means a classic kit, but I like its sound. Whereas until 2009/10 a particular drumming friend and I used to record most weeks {which explains why I have so much stuff being worked on}, since then, the drummers I know live in different parts of the world or different parts of the country so if they're in town, if they have the time to spare, I'd grab them for some sessions. Which, for the last 13 years has tended to somewhat limit my hand. I'd kind of write in a bit of a rush and because it's important for me that the drummers very much put their stamp on my songs, we'd certainly get stuff done. I remember back in 2012, my mate Ray and I {he's from and lives in Zambia} did a session where we got 13 songs done in less than 4 hours. Sometimes, one take was all that was needed. But you get the picture. So I tend to have quite a number of songs that exist only as guitar and drums or bass and drums. Some might have lyrics but as yet no melody. Some might have just a vocal and are waiting for other instrument bits to appear. Some might need just one instrument or a vocal or backing vocal. All in different states of play ! And if any of my drumming friends are going to be in town, if they could, we'd get something done so I'd quickly put together an arrangement of a few songs and if we recorded them, they might be sitting around for 15 years ~ if I'm around that long !
    Sometimes, if I'm cribbing the drum tracks off one song for another, I'll take a listen to prospective candidates and I'm often pleasantly surprised by songs I've been meaning to mix but haven't listened to for years. Sometimes I'll look at the title and can't remember the song at all.
    That all said, though I kind of have an imaginary mental deadline {ie, before I die}, I like both not being tied to a deadline or being under commercial constraints. It's important that this remains fun for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TAE View Post
    If it has a usb port...
    Unfortunately, the 12 track has not a usb port in sight !

Thanks
    that all sounds very.... complicated
    Professional cry baby

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grimtraveller View Post
    It's important that this remains fun for me.
    Well as the beatles once said in the last lines of She's leaving home.... "Fun is the one thing money can't buy"

If it ain't fun, other than monetary gain LOL why would we waste our time?
    Tomco Audio Electric ( TAE )

Creating audible vibrations to stimulate and entertain mankind and other small cave dwelling furry animals.

"The secret to a long life is to live a long time" .... "You can quote me on that" TAE

Thanks
    I miss the cave and Greggor.........one of the reasons I only occasionally troll these page instead of daily.

being offended is good for you, thickens the skin, makes you learn how to deal with dreadful emotions. and nothing wrong with a good skuffle, in person or online.

With that said, Trump is better than Biden, and Jo Jorgensen would be better than both of those idiots. i guess only 1% of us is brave enough to try to buck the system. Metallica need to split up and do solo projects like Kiss did. Gibson sucks, always have, always will.....along with Guitar Center and eBay. Drum software is way easier to deal with than real drummers and their drama and egos, plus they don't beat the shit out of you for correcting them.
    The Beatles suck.
    The Stones are over rated.

I could go on and on............Zeppelin are a bunch of talented thiefs!
    Wow, now I feel really stupid. Thanks.

Thanks
    Long live the 1910 Fruitgum Company ! YEAH!!
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spantini View Post
    You sir are a filthy animal!

Tomco Audio Electric ( TAE )

Creating audible vibrations to stimulate and entertain mankind and other small cave dwelling furry animals.

"The secret to a long life is to live a long time" .... "You can quote me on that" TAE

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TAE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    are they the ones that make that zebra gum that has flavor that only lasts for like 5 minutes?
    Professional cry baby

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofpain678 View Post
    are they the ones that make that zebra gum that has flavor that only lasts for like 5 minutes?
    This stuff..? I don't think it lasted even that long. YUCK!

gum-jpg
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

Thanks
    This stuff..? I don't think it lasted even that long. YUCK!

gum-jpg
    haha yeah thats it! Evil creations they are
    Professional cry baby

Thread Information